Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for a sleeve buddy

My surgery is July 27th same day as my birthday. I live in dallas,tx metroplex area. Looking for someone to share my experience with. I have no family here and my husband has mixed emotions.

@@jenjen2781

Hi there, everyone here is great, you will get lots of support.

I was raised in Dallas, live in Tucson now (since 71). Like you, my hubby isn't all that excited about my having the surgery. He's in the "try another diet" camp, or "just set your mind to it". He truly doesn't understand and it is frustrating.

I do have my daughter here and have her support. My son supports me from afar, he lives across the country.

The only really disappointing lack of support I've gotten is from a life long friend. She thinks it's silly. However, she also needs to do something, she is over 300 now. She isn't ready though.

I am ready. I'm hoping to get approval and have my surgery in Sept.

You'll have to keep posting updates so we know how you are doing.

Good luck!!

Cat

Good luck from San Antonio, I was initially willing to travel to Dallas to get sleeved, fortunately after much research I found a center of excellence here, which is part of my insurance requirement, get ready for a wild but rewarding ride

I had my sleeve on May,21, 2015. I am getting better everyday. I am very happy that I finally decided on the sleeve, I have periods of acid reflux which I rarely had prior to surgery but other than that I am already down over 30 pounds and my body feels less pain in my knees and back. You will be glad when your activity level is higher and quality of life is improved, everyday I am thankful for this new chance at life. Cora

Edited by cora C

I super excited about my new journey. I can believe it's happening so quick. But does an else have the feeling of shame? I a shamed I couldn't lose the weight myself. Hell just the fact that in 15 years I have gain 200lbs. I haven't told many friends or family members because of it. Am I just crazy for feeling like that.

Do NOT feel ashamed!! I think that is one of the biggest problems we have all had to deal with and get over.

We should all be proud of the fact that we have made a decision that is going to give us a healthier, longer, more active life. Don't look back, look forward. You are NOT crazy.

Be strong.

JenJen,

I am in Dallas and was sleeved on 5/18 with Dr. Nick. I am happy to be a sleeve buddy if you want. :) The journey has been good for me so far. Happy to share what I have been through and talk about challenges as they come up. :)

I am assuming you are on pre-opt diet. Hope that is going well.

A few things I learned... Make sure you buy Gas-X strips before surgery. They were a life saver for me the first few days. I think I went through a whole package in a week. Haha. Bought another package and never had to open it, so the gas does get better. Also, get an abdominal binder. I got my first one at Walgreens, just the basic one in the same isle as the knee braces. I waited until after surgery to get mine and then my husband wasn't sure which to get so it was my first driving trip. Having it before surgery would have been much better. It really helped me with being able to get up and down out of bed and chairs the first few weeks as my cut muscles healed. It also made a huge difference in how I felt by the end of the day when my muscles were tired. After about 3 1/2 weeks I could quit using it.

MzB

@@toler48 thanks for your support. I really don't have friends that need bariatric surgery so they don't understand my struggle. My kids are teenagers so beside my 15 year old daughter I will be by myself day of surgery. Who's your insurance company?

@@jenjen2781

I am on Medicare/United Health. I'm 67.

I've heard that Medicare gives approval fairly easy. They have a 4 month waiting period, for monthly weigh in's. I see the PA and NUT for the last visits on Aug 6th. After that they will send in for approval. Then I'll schedule all the pre-op testing.

I gotta tell you, I am ready for the surgery. I want to get control back and this will help.

My friend needs the surgery, but she doesn't understand why I want to do it. She asked me what I was going to do about all the saggy skin after weight loss. I told her I'd deal with it the same way I have dealt with all my scars, it's me. There are plenty of ways to deal with a bit of saggy skin, which actually I already have because of yo-yo-ing for so many years.

It's sad that that was her first concern. Not how great it would be to be off the high BP and Chol meds, or the diabetic meds or the CPAP. THOSE things are just another reason I want the surgery. To get healthier! I could care less about saggy skin. Geez

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now LOL

I could go back to walking, not running at two weeks. All restrictions on exercise lifted at 6 weeks, but by 4-5 weeks I felt totally fine. ????

@@toler48

I get it. I do think about the extra skin but they also make surgery for that lol. My heaviest friend probably needs to lose 60lbs. I'm a shame to say I need 200+ I will be 34 on my surgery date. I have been very luck only to need a Water pill for blood pressure and I've had asthma my whole life. I don't think I can go much longer and stay this healthy so it's sleeve for me. My husband wants me to have surgery but he also wants me to be his food buddy I can't do both and he is realizing that. I want to live with out regrets.

The spousal food buddy is something my husband and I are working through as well. It is challenging! We also eat out a lot since we don't have children. He still wants me to order my own thing which is just silly. We're working on it but it is a major change. Good news is he has lost weight as well. ????