Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh, Traveling as a Fat Person. I'd Rather Eat Glass.

<HR style="COLOR: #e9e9e9" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well my surgery is scheduled for July 31 and I have to book a flight!. Oh the dread, the dread the dread! The last time I flew I was about 50 pounds lighter and some skinny B!@h gave me the "stink eye" the entire flight. It wasn't enough that I was curled up like a human pretzel, trying to stay in my own seat. I ended up leaning towards the isle trying to give her plenty of room and of course they must have served 100 beverages that flight. The cart kept scraping against my arm. Im thinking of dishing out an extra $500 to travel first class, but I've been told that the seats aren't much larger. I've never traveled first class, have any of you had any experience with it? Is it "fat person" friendly or just a waste of cash? IS one Airline better than another? Any other bright ideas out there?

<HR style="COLOR: #e9e9e9" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well my surgery is scheduled for July 31 and I have to book a flight!. Oh the dread, the dread the dread! The last time I flew I was about 50 pounds lighter and some skinny B!@h gave me the "stink eye" the entire flight. It wasn't enough that I was curled up like a human pretzel, trying to stay in my own seat. I ended up leaning towards the isle trying to give her plenty of room and of course they must have served 100 beverages that flight. The cart kept scraping against my arm. Im thinking of dishing out an extra $500 to travel first class, but I've been told that the seats aren't much larger. I've never traveled first class, have any of you had any experience with it? Is it "fat person" friendly or just a waste of cash? IS one Airline better than another? Any other bright ideas out there?

Totally depends on the airline. Here's a link to a thread from the early spring where folks rated which airline they thought was best for larger people, it may help you:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f7/best-airline-larger-people-30769/

I personally always make sure to choose my seat when I book online and choose a WINDOW seat on a side of the plane or in an area where there are only TWO seats. In my experience, the farther back in the plane (last row or so), the less likely it is that someone will be next to you. I pee before I board so I don't have to step over anyone to get out. I never choose the aisle because a)I don't want to be bashed by the beverage cart and :) no one could possibly climb over me to get out to the restroom, I'd always have to get up, and at my size, I'd be bumping into someone in the next row of seats. My thought when flying heavy is that I'd rather stay put tucked back where I'm out of the way. I also wait until last to deplane, that way I don't have to stick my butt in anyone's face while pulling down my carry-on. Who cares if you get off first or last? The luggage won't be unloaded yet, anyway.

Vixie,

First class is definitely better if you can afford it. The seats are so much more comfortablly sized and the seatbelts are longer. Though the seats aren't THAT much bigger, those extra 3 or 4 inches can make the difference in being miserable and being moderately comfortable in flight. Plus, the armrests are much bigger, so even if the seat isn't that much bigger, there's more distance between you and the passenger next to you, which reduces the "evil eye" factor, to the extent you care about such things.

I'm not sure what your size is, but I used to travel quite a bit at 350 lbs and I'm only 5'2 (so I was very round). I found that when I was more like 250, I agreed with faithmd and I would rather be in a window seat and out of the way (albeit uncomfortably), but at 350, I really needed the aisle to be able to "spill" over -- I just wouldn't have fit in the window.

If it eases your anxiety, I think I have a seatbelt extender I'd be happy to mail you, so you don't have to ask for one on the plane. For me, that was the worst part -- not like you couldn't look at me and tell I needed one, but still, asking was the pits. Anyway, PM me your mailing address if you'd like it.

Your surgery will be behind you in no time and once you've dropped a few lbs, flying will be so much easier! Just wait -- the world will soon be your oyster. Hang in there. This gets SO MUCH EASIER.

First class has become my new rule for flying.. About 1.5 years ago we flew to Vegas from new Mexico.. it was only like a 1 hour flight, but we were in the economy class.. I was middle seat (no idea how that happened, since I'm tall I always make sure to get an aisle so I can stretch my legs out).. But anyway, I actually had to APOLOGIZE to both people on each side of me, because my side fat was overflowing onto the seat handles. I was having to cross my arms and suck myself in the entire time..and still was imposing on the other people. It was so horrible. A year before this, I HAD flown first class, and it was wonderful.. extra wide seats, large arm handles, and I wasn't sharing my arm handle with anyone.

So.. since the time when I had to apologize to the people beside me, I WILL NOT fly unless I can fly first class.

It is worth it.

Flying to Vegas next week, first class. :)

On the other hand, I can't wait for the day I can fit into one of those normal seats.. aisle of course, for the legs!

Just a thought, but it may be cheaper to call the reservation number and ask for two seats. It may be a little embarrassing to tell that one person (and perhaps the people at the gate), but heck, to have to extra seat can give SO MUCH comfort.

When I flew to Mexico for my surgery in January, I was 262#. And I flew from MT to UT to Guadalahara and back up to Monterray. I always had window seats...they seem to be a bit more roomie... But at each new plane, the seat belts got shorter. After my surgery, I got on the plane form Monterray back to Guadlahara and I needed a pry bar to fasten the belt. I was tapped out emotionally from the surgery and all. It was almost too much. I finally wrenched on the belt (didn't know about the entensions...did you know everyone in mexico is tiny?) and just sat still. They also didn't have any blankets and I was freezing.

If its in your budget I'd go first class AND borrow the seat belt extension. The good news and that after the band and you do your work.. it will be a different story when you travel!! Good luck,

Shawn

About the seat belts..Up to about 290lbs, I was able to squeeze the belt closed under my big belly roll lol. When I was 300+, it didn't fit anymore.. I always fly with my purse, so I would make them look linked and put my purse over the buckle, so the attendants didn't fuss at me to buckle up.. then once we took off, I would let it go. I couldn't ask for an extension!

You can also open a newspaper over your lap and read it so it looks like the seat belt is latched. Works wonders.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo...

that is SO not safe. i work for a major airline and hear about rough turbulence quite often ... you could get thrown out of your seat and that could result in serious injury... not a good idea.

would you rather suck it up and just ask for an extension (or buy one, they are about 70 bucks) or end up in a hospital??

I was tossed during some rather rough turbulence once and cracked my head good. Never again, I "borrowed" an extender on that very next flight.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo...

that is SO not safe. i work for a major airline and hear about rough turbulence quite often ... you could get thrown out of your seat and that could result in serious injury... not a good idea.

would you rather suck it up and just ask for an extension (or buy one, they are about 70 bucks) or end up in a hospital??

You are absolutely correct.

With that said as a fat person I would still cover my lap with a newspaper if I feared the seatbelt would not fit. Turns out it always did but coming out of surgery and having a Buddha belly from the gas in surgery, I did it. And I'd do it again in similar situations. When it comes to safety over humiliation, I'll take the risk.

I'm not suggesting others should do the same, I'm merely offering my own feelings. I've been embarrassed and humiliated due to fat for years, I won't open myself up to more if I have a choice. Again, not bright, but that is the way I feel.

Hi,

Thanks all for the posts. Its so awesome to be able to talk about this kind of stuff somewhere. Faithmd, what a great link. Im thinking of traveling Midwest Premium Economy now. Looks like a good deal. Julie, that is soooo sweet of you to offer. I just bought one on ebay a few days ago, so Im set there. Your ticker rocks! I cant wait to get down to 174! It must be heaven.

Laura thats EXACTLY what happened to me. I was 280 then, I will be 300 (if the pre-op diet works) during my flight. Im not the type of person to spend extra cash for a first class ticket. But I don't want to be uncomfortable after surgery. If I cant get the Northwest thing to work out for me, Im going to go for the first class ticket. I dred the flight so much I even looked into taking a train. Its $1600! So, I thought, no thanks.

Cant wait till the pounds shed off and I wont have to worry about fitting into spaces....such a massive drag.

I cant wait to get down to 174! It must be heaven.

I won't lie to you -- it rocks. :bounce:I flew recently and the couple in the next row wanted to sit together, which, if I agreed, put me in a middle seat (I'd booked months in advance, out of habit, to get my aisle). I almost annoyed myself I was beaming so much for being comfortable in the middle seat....

You're going to be there too in no time -- think about all those future trips! For now, buy two seats if you have to. You want to be comfortable after surgery.

You're going to do GREAT.

My husband and I flew southwest airlines recently. There are no seat assignments. You have an A, B or C boarding pass and board in groups and it's first come first serve. I like this VERY much if the flight is not full. My husband and I try to get A passes to board first. We go to the back of the plane and he sits on the isle and I sit at the window with a seat between. My husband is not obese, but he's a big man. We put things in the middle seat while others board. Most dont' want to be scrunched inbetween to large people so most avoid choosing the middle seat between us. Most of the time we have the whole row to ourselves and can put up both sets of arm rests and sit comfortably. It works for us.

I am a travel agent in my semi-real life! LOL! If you can get a first class seat for only 500.00 more grab it immediately--you will be sooo much happier--and just think, it will be the only time in your life EVER AGAIN that you will HAVE to get a wider seat and avoid te stink eye of another!! Good luck on your journey....