Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with cramps?

I've always had bad menstrual cramps but after my third baby, they're REALLY bad. My OB/GYN suggested taking Advil for the two/three days before my period and then continue thru the first 3 days to stay ahead of the pain.

Well we all know that Advil is now a no-no and I'm thinking Tylonol isn't going to cut it. My surgeon said he'd write me an Rx for a light narcotic but geez...I have three kids I need to keep track of...I'm not sure if narcotics is the way I want to go.

My PCP suggested an IUD but then I'm reading on this board that IUD's can stall weight loss.

Any advice/suggestions/tips??

I use Young Living Essential Oils. I have to apply them every couple hours for the first day of my period, where a dose of Advil used to do the trick.

You could try Tylenol too. I went to Tylenol for pain when I got home from the hospital after surgery because the narcotics made me sick. Tylenol worked great for me for pain.

I've been on Depo Provera my entire adult life. I have been both fat and thin multiple times during that time, so unlike some claims that it makes you gain weight, this is inaccurate. I never have a time of the month, so no cramps. I am a big fan of depo, not because you never have to worry about your time of the month, but also because you only have to remember it once every 3 months.

Why is Advil a no no ?

Ok Google is my friend.

I've been taking Advil/Ibuprofen because of back pains and it didn't give me any stomach problems..

Edited by nickelbv

Giving up Advil was a sticking point at every single appointment I went to. NSIDs are crazy-hard on the lining of the stomach and since you'll have less surface area within your stomach to absorb the medication, it's even harder on your pouch. I've been in love with Advil for years and years - breaking up with it is going to be hard. That's why I'm trying to have a back-up plan in place.

Ask your doctor about naproxyn sodium (aleve) or mefenamic acid (ponstel). When I was in my 20's (yeah, 30 years ago), those two drugs were the go-to for cramps, as they contain antiprostaglandins which help prevent uterine contractions or cramps. At the time, they were both prescription only; now aleve is over the counter.

The naproxyn sodium worked great for me but didn't work at all for my roommate. She switched to ponstel and had great relief.

If your doctor okays it, you do start taking it about 3 days before you expect your period, and then stop when the cramps stop.

All NSAIDs are off limits post WLS surgery. They can cause ulcers in your new tummy.

That being said, no one has ever verified if this is forever.

My husband, who btw does not have a weight problem, nearly died from a bleeding ulcer 6 weeks ago after years of ibuprofen use for a back problem! He lost so much blood that his hemoglobin dropped to 5 and he was in heart failure.

I understand completely why its use is "forbidden" with bariatric surgery! Don't chance it! Stay away from NSAIDS!!!!!

Oh my!! I called my doctor 4 days after the surgery because of some pains and he did say no NSAIDS but I thought it was because of the swelling around the band.

But I think this site is going to safe my life! I'm off NSAID's for sure!

But can you use ointments for the back that has some NSAIDS in them?

Oh my!! I called my doctor 4 days after the surgery because of some pains and he did say no NSAIDS but I thought it was because of the swelling around the band.

But I think this site is going to safe my life! I'm off NSAID's for sure!

But can you use ointments for the back that has some NSAIDS in them?

I am pretty sure there are different rules for lap band than gastric bypass - types of medication and required supplements. I have a prescription for Ibu and have not had issues.

That's odd, I had the lapband back in 2008 (removed in 2013) and I was also told no NSAIDS..

Different Dr.s must have different rules I guess?

I was told no creams with NSAIDS in them either because they absorb into the blood stream, but you could check for sure with your Dr?

Have you ever tried those hot pack things? I've used those too. Like a portable heating pad. ;)

Different Dr.s must have different rules I guess?

This. In spades. YOUR doctor (not you specifically, amylynns, but "you" in the generic sense) has his/her reasons for their rules. My doctor may allow certain NSAIDS and disallow others. My doctor may allow it for VSG and not GB. Your doctor may say "never ever ever."

So ask your doctor what his/her rules are, then ask for the reasoning behind them. If you don't agree with your doctor, look for peer-reviewed research on the subject, then show those to your doctor. See what he says.

NSAIDS CAN CAUSE ULCERS! People who have had gastric bypass or the sleeve for that matter are prone to ulcerations around the staples if not careful. Therefore, to lessen that risk, it is definitely a "no no" to take NSAIDS. Tylenol is a better choice if you need pain relief although it has no anti-inflammatory component.

NSAIDS can even cause ulcers and are bad for the liver in "normal" stomach.

I had a lap band so yeah maybe the rules are different from bigger WLS.

I need to stock up on meds with codeine, they are the only thing that will work for me if I have cramps or serious back pain.

I'm a sleever and was told no NSAIDS for life for exactly the reason quoted above, that it can cause ulcers which as the previous poster noted can be life threatening. I just experienced the worst cramps of my life 2 1/2 weeks post op. I also got them in my lower back which I did not used to get. I used tylenol which took the edge off but not enough to give full relief. Heating pads help and some people I know fill a milk carton with hot Water and hug it. I am hoping this particular cycle was worse due to the surgery and my body just still trying to heal. If not, I will be watching this thread myself. Thanks for the great question!