Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food costs now vs post op...

Ive read that this is expensive to d in regards to just eating post op. As of now, we eat out a LOT! This gets expensive as you would guess. Im wondering, wont I be replacing the eating out (and even the expenses of eating in) with Protein Shakes and supplements? How much per week do you spend on those things? It has to be less expensive that eating out. Cn you give me a ballpark fir just after surgery to when you are eating normal foods again?

I am a way cheaper eater post-op than before. As an example, today I had 2/3 cup granola, from a box that lasts me about a week, whereas before I'd have eaten the whole box with some milk in 2 days. I had a granola bar for a snack and the box lasts me a little over a week, while before it would have been lucky to see lasting 3 days. We got Panera for lunch where I got the pick 2...I got a cup of French onion Soup, scooped out all the cheese and then ate about half a cup of the broth, leaving the onions in the bottom, and a half steak sandwich. I had the half a cup of Soup for lunch a few hours ago and now I'm slowly working my way through the half sandwich, which I will probably eat about a half of that before I get tired of it and throw it out. Later tonight I'll probably split part of an oatmeal cookie during a movie with a friend, and maybe have a handful of smartpuffs. My total cost for the day is under $15, whereas before surgery that entire Panera pick 2 would have been just my lunch, I'd have also eaten a full dinner, and I'd have had a few Cookies instead of a few bites of one.

Surgery saved me a ton in grocery bills and in eating out expenses.

This is gonna be SO different for me! Im ashamed to say this, but my wife and I will order pizza, but it will one pizza EACH! Ever ate a large papa Johns pizza for dinner? I have. I couldn't imagine eating JUST 2/3 pf a cup of ANYTHING. Which is why I NEED this lifestyle change. I am SO ready to stop this crap. Ive made my mind up that I won't live without doing something drastic.

I imagine myself "normal sized" eating "normal" meals. I can't wait to get this done! I am SO ready for this!

You will shop so dfferently, you will not believe it. I mean all that "junk" you used to buy is no longer in your cart and JUNK is expensive. Everything you buy will last so much longer because you eat such a small amount. Like the post above if you eat out and order a regular meal, it will be 3-4 meals for that price. Congrats on your decision and Good Luck!

Tbh, my food costs post op haven't been as cheap as would have expected or liked. My shopping lasts much longer but some items are much more expensive and plus i have gotten very bougie with my food choices.

I spend less on groceries and eat better. I've learned to buy less so I throw out less. I spend way less time thinking about, collecting, preparing, and eating food. It's way better.

This is gonna be SO different for me! Im ashamed to say this, but my wife and I will order pizza, but it will one pizza EACH! Ever ate a large papa Johns pizza for dinner? I have. I couldn't imagine eating JUST 2/3 pf a cup of ANYTHING. Which is why I NEED this lifestyle change. I am SO ready to stop this crap. Ive made my mind up that I won't live without doing something drastic.

I imagine myself "normal sized" eating "normal" meals. I can't wait to get this done! I am SO ready for this!

Allen, it is easy to do! I remember the days of eating a whole pizza to myself with wings and some cheesy bread. lol a lot cheaper now and maybe some pizza toppings only if someone has a slice available.

I am lucky to eat most my meals at work and they usually have some type of meat that I can eat. If not there is Soup and the good old favorite cottage cheese. If I buy any food for days off/snack it is usually Greek yogurt. I am bad about not getting in enough Protein so I have to start buying drinks and bars to help.

I haven't had surgery yet but I plan on saving plenty and spending those savings on a new wardrobe! ;-)