Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Day Pre-Op Diet-Harder Than I Thought

Hi,

I think for people that are having laproscopic surgery, doctors often put them on a liquid diet so that the liver will shrink (as you have not adding fat to it when you are on liquids). This will make it easier for the surgeon to get in and place the lapband. That is what I was told anyway. It seems some doctors want you to fast for 10 days, some five days, and some none. I guess it all depends on the doctor and what procedure they plan on using.

I still have a couple of weeks before surgery, so that is kinda knawing at me. I would like to just get it over with and get started with my weightloss.

Stick with it and remember what it is you are trying to achieve. My doctor only has one day as liquid diet. But I have been doing a lot of reading and have found out that the reason behind the 2 week liquid diet before surgery is to shrink the liver so it can easily be moved away during the stomach banding. If the liver is enlarged it can be bruised while being moved and cause more pain during the post op recovery. I am actually thinking of doing this even though it is not madated. Good luck to you!!

I am on my 10th day of my liquid diet. All I have had it protien shakes. It gets eaiser every day. I am no longer hungry and I only feel empty when it is getting time for me to have another shake.

I have been treating this as somewhat of a detox like they do for heroin addicts. It has also given me some time to really focus on my addiction and my thinking.

I promise it gets better. I kind of enojoy it now. I don't have to go through all of that crap when trying to pick out something to eat. That was always so stressful for me. I want this, but I shouldn't have it...but I want it so bad. No...I should eat something healthy, but I don't want that. Then all of the horrible things I would say to myself. Arrrrrggggg.

Hang in there you will make it. Just think....if you can do this you truly can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it is hard. I am on day 5 of the liquids and have now memorized the Soup menu of most of the restaraunts in town. stick with it. I have found a good broccoli and cheese soup from a nice restaraunt in the blender is very tasty. We will hang in the together.

Can you tell me how you are able to post your tickler with your message? I think that is really cool!

Hi,

Go to TickerFactory.com to build your ticker... if you click on that address in anyone's signature, your browser should take you to the site. After you configure it just the way you want it & click on "Next", you will see boxes on the right with differet types of "code" to paste in to your signature. Highlight & right click on the one in the "bbCode" box & choose "copy". Then come back to this site, click on "UserCP" at the top of the page & choose "edit signature". When the box opens up to your signature, put your cursor in the Edit box & right click again, choose "paste" & then preview the signature & see if it looks right. If so, click on save & you should be in business! Hope it works for you. It took me a few times to figure it out.

My surgery is scheduled July 2nd. I was not put on a post op diet but just told to eat Soups and salads. I weigh 195 lbs! I may fast on Sunday just for the heck of it b/c I've read where some people did fast 1 day prior to surgery. I'm so ready!

with your weight at 195 you do not have to go on a pre-op diet.you can do the one day fasting and then have your surgery.i was 205 lbs when i had my surgery .i wasn't told to go on any pre-op diets at all.i'm alive and well.good luck and keep us posted.

:help:

I'm hungry frustrated and thinking of ways to cheat. Please help. I am on my two week liquid diet eating Jello,popsicles,cream Soups, etc. and I can't take it anymore. I am so tempted everytime I open the refrigerator to get a popsicle or to drink a fruit2O. :hungry:

Hey I'm totally with ya, I am 6 days post op & starving. What's sad is, if I were able to handle starving, then I wouldn't have had to have the LB surgery! LOL! I just had some strained chicken noodleo's & a few of the noodleo's accidentally(on purpose) fell in and I just chewed & chewed & chewed, I hope I didn't mess anything up but they sure were good. We have to hang in there though, I think it eventually will be way worth it.

Tgirl

I need some suggestions on how to get the Protein drinks down. The after taste makes me want to give it back. I use ice with the drinks, which helps; however are there tricks for a better tasting drink?

My experience is I cannot do anything with artificial sweetener. So what I did was go to Whole Foods. I found a great whey Protein powder sweetened with Stevia. It has 25g of Protein per serving. It's on the expensive side but I couldn't eat any of the other stuff so there really wasn't a choice.

Brand: Jay Robb's whey Protein

Flavors:

FYI the Protein Powder contains no:

NO MSG

NO Aspartame

NO Acesulfame-K

NO Sucralose

NO Artificial Flavors

NO Artificial Sweeteners

NO Artificial Colors

You can mix it with Water, milk, juice or yogurt. I assume you could also mix it with Kefir if you wanted.

Hang in there on those pre-op diets people!! I know it's so so so hard, but I'm so glad I did mine. It really jogged my memory as to what hunger feels like, and after banding, it was awesome to realize that I rarely feel that sensation any more. It was such a useful reminder of the difference between real hunger and "head hunger" and it's been a great tool in helping me decide whether it's by body or my head which is hungry now. Hang in there!!! You can do this!!! You'll be glad you did.

Valzie,

You have to paste the bbCode & not the HTML code for this site.