Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you still drink cokes with the Lap band?

Gday, The general rule is that you cant drink fizzy drinks anymore. Don't worry though, you will soon not miss them. I have not had a fizzy drink since the beginning of January and I never even think about it. The body becomes used to not having it. Susannah

My doc told me the same thing as well. I won't have any problem giving up my fizzy soft drinks, but in the heat of the summer, I sure will miss an ice cold beer!!! that's going to be tough.

I have been banded for a little over a year, I have not had a carbonated drink since then. Last week we went through a heat wave and I was craving a diet coke, so...I had one. I drank it slowly being careful not to build gas....but it did anyways...the pain was excruciating.....I'll not do that again...its ice cold Water for me from now on.

Another drink I love in summer are frozen chocolate yogurt shakes. The dairy where I buy these told me that there were 132 calories per yogurt serving, so...I figured that if the shake is part of my lunch meal that I was doing okay.....not doing too much calorie harm. Then, I found out that one shake consists on 2% milk, 4 frozen yogurt puck servings and a good pump of the chocolate syrup!!!!! Cripes, can't imagine how many calories that comes to! So, now if I get one I save half for the next day and include it in the calorie count for my lunch.< /p>

Carol

I've been banded almost a year. My doc and surgeon says diet drinks are fine after 6 months. My surgeon's wife has been banded for 2 years and she said she has one diet coke per day and has never had any problems. I could take them or leave them.

Have not had anything carbonated in 6 years so had not affected me any way at all. Just drop them because they are generally bad anyhow.:)

Last weekend, I had a sip of coke without thinking about it. Well, I will never do that again. Sharp pain, although fleeting, but I will remember that forever. Then today, I bought a Peirre (sp) and guess what...same thing. I think I've learned my lesson. I am now addicted to Crystal Light, Peach Iced Tea or fruit Punch. Plus I am sleeping so good too!

Some people to be fine drinking sodas and such, but not me. I just look at a Diet Pepsi and I get those gas pains in my shoulder. I know the nutritionist at Dr's said NEVER again, but previous banders and the doctor himself said that once in a while isn't going to bother you. But don't start drinking them too much. I didn't drink it that much before, but I feel much healthier not drinking the pop because I know how much sugar and such is in those drinks.< /p>

I haven't had one since my surgery and I haven't missed them! I'm too afraid of the possible pain to try one!

I was banded six months ago, and was told to stay away from bubbles so that the pouch doesn't expand. I took a tiny sip of my husband's Mountain Dew yesterday, and it was bitter. My son's Dr. Pepper tasted downright BAD. I guess that I've lost my taste for them, and frankly, I don't miss them anymore.

To much! Yes you can drink cokes again. Yes you will get a little pain if you take a big boy drink, but it ain't nothing. Now they do say it will expand your band, but you should have no problems drinking cokes. I stick with Sprite or 7-UP now. The dark cola's are to sweet and upset my stomach. I have had the band about 3 months now. Every now and then i'll have a glass of Dr-Pepper. Just not to fast or it will hurt for a second. I say to each his own, try it and just see if it is something you could handle. Trust me the pain is not bad, just for a second.

O, don't eat and drink a coke at the same time, that will give you some major unwated air in your stomach.