Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Veterans of Bypass Surgery: Did you begin to lose your sense of hunger?

I am almost 7 weeks post bypass. I am noticing a gradual loss of my sense of hunger, which is unusual for me. Almost every day, I seem to have more need to remind myself to eat.

Is this normal? Did any of you vets have the same experience? Thanks!

I think it's very normal, in fact it should be part of the experience in some form or other, as a tool to keep you from eating too much.

My sense of hunger left the moment I woke up from surgery. I'm two weeks post-op and I haven't felt hunger since the surgery. It's the oddest thing for me, and I have to remind myself to eat. Nothing triggers my hunger either. I can smell food, be around it. See alllllll the things in the store I used to NEED. No longer.

I also am very sensitive now to sweet tasting things. For instance, I used to put 8 packets of splenda in my tea cup, yes I know that's a lot, but that's how much I required before, to feel it was sufficiently sweet. I put two packets in same cup now and it's plenty sweet. Amazing what this surgery can do. My Surgeon basically said he disconnected me from the hormone Ghrelin which was making me hungry.

I feel this lack of hunger thing is helping me out that much more. But it sure feels odd to be like this.

Yes, absolutely normal. I had to remind myself to eat, which at times was an issue because I would feel weak due to low blood sugar. Please make sure you eat at the scheduled times as per your plan. I have a Greek low calorie yogurt, a Protein Bar or low fat cheese for a mid afternoon snack every day. I focus on Protein and Fluid intake because both are crucial.

7 months past surgery, I am still not hungry but I can eat a lot more and if I am at the table for a while, I noticed I can nibble for a long time, a small bite at a time. If I don't pay attention I could eat more then I need to. I find the manageable hunger one of the best gifts this surgery has provided. I am no longer a slave to hunger.

I am six months post op and still do not feel hunger. I had to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to eat. :)

Hmmm I may be the odd man out. I am 4 months and 1 week out and I get hungry. Not every day. I will have some days where I have to eat because it is time for a meal or snack. However, there are some days when I get really hungry. I truly don't think it is "head hunger" either. My stomach growls and it is usually 2-3 hours after I have eaten, depending on what I had for my last meal or snack. When I eat my normal portion, I am satisfied. I think everyone is different. I go to my support group meetings regulary and this subject is a frequent topic. Some people don't really feel hunger any more, but many do.

I really could not eat the first few months very little appealed to me. As a matter of fact the first month I disliked being around food. I increased my feedings over the months and a little into month 6 I noticed true hunger. I have to admit it scared the mess out of me. Currently 1.5 yr's out - some days like last week, I had to force feed. Today I have been eating more than usual so don't get scared about fluctuations. Just remember to eat and stay on top of Water and Vitamins. Pretty soon your body will give you a nudge every few hours to eat a small portion.

5.5 years out, and I still have to make myself eat Breakfast, lunch, and dinner; much like one has to remind/force oneself through the task of taking Vitamins, flossing, taking out the trash, etc. I completely loss my sense of hunger, and I get no physical pangs.