Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any picky eaters that can help me?

hi Yall

my husband is going to be banded but he is a really picky eater a meat and potatoes guy

the only fruit he eats is a banana and that is rare

the only green veggie is green Beans we have them nightly

he doesn't eat any kind of fish

he will not eat oatmeal or cream of wheat

the good news is he doesn't eat any sweets

any one else a picky eater or have any suggestions on what I can feed him ?

thanks a lot Lanny

He'll do well with the band because all I can eat are meat and potatoes! Occasionally I can get some watermelon down or suck on an orange but no apples or kiwi for me. Actually bananas aren't too good for me either.

I find that ground meat goes down very well so we do a lot of chilli, shephard's pie (no corn for me though), meatballs, etc. I usually use turkey but you could use lean ground beef.

As far as veggies go, they have to be mush for me to get them down so I don't eat as many as I'd like but if he likes green Beans then give him green Beans. I eat a lot of peas now. I also eat mashed turnip and zucchini.

I'm really tight though so I'm probably not a good one to give advice! Sorry!

Lanny, I hate to be a hardnose but why is it YOUR job to come up with things to feed HIM? He's the one being banded, he's the one who's going to have to live with the quantity restrictions and he's the one who's going to have to adjust his palate.

Does he want to be banded? Does he understand that a meal will be half a chicken breast and some green Beans? The great thing about the band is the time we are given to learn and adjust to our new capacity, but if all he likes now are meat and potatoes he really should think hard and long about what he's getting himself into. What works for one person may not work for another, so any suggestions other people make are only that, suggestions. I was never able to eat eggs while banded, for example.

It's not that he won't be able to eat meat, but there will definitely be times when things he loves will be difficult to get down. And even if not, he'll suffer nutrionally if he doesn't learn to like more high-Protein things. If be concentrates on the potatoes, for example, he'll quickly find that's all he will be able to eat that meal. And one cannot live on potatoes alone.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but your post has me a little concerned that you are taking responsibility for what he will be eating. That's got to be HIS job. What does he say?

Thank you all for your help with suggestions for my husband it is nice to hear from you all.

Alexandra and Faithmd just to ease your mind my husband and I are a team. He is the one who wants to be banded I on the other hand was a little iffy about the surgery but being a part of this small lap band community I have learned a lot and I am able to be in full support of my husband.

I do understand that he needs to be healthy. He has made the decision to have the procedure we are still at the beginning and he may change his mind but for now he is committed to changing his life and the way he eats. he works at very hard job and doesn't always have time to look at the web sight if I see something that looks interesting or helpful I just read it to him and if he has questions I try and find the answer our way of doing things may seem odd but we are together 24 /7 and do everything together

I do understand that every one is different and that all anyone can do is suggest but it does help to talk with people and be uplifted by their success I appreciate your concern for my husband it is very touching to know that there are people willing to help and show such compassion for fellow " banders" by sharing their opinions and experiences my husband and I thank you all for your help Landon and Annie (Lanny)

Keep in mind that after banding many people's tastes change. Things they used to find disgusting suddenly taste kinda good! Things that used to be good taste like dirt. ;) I would encourage him to start trying foods again that he didn't previously care for pre-banding. Wait until he starts losing weight, that's when the taste changes start happening.

Give him a list of foods you have in the kitchen. Give him a choice between meat, veggies, etc. Let him choose which one he wants, at least in the beginning. If all he'll eat are green Beans, when the green Beans are gone he'll have to choose something else. If he doesn't like it, point him to the direction of the kitchen and let him cook for himself. You can only be so supportive, most of it is up to him. He needs to remember that this is a lifestyle change and that includes healthier foods. If he wants weight loss bad enough, he'll make those changes.

In my mind it's all about how bad you want weight loss.

Thanks I love the idea of the list and now I will be sure to get a few new things to put in the pantry for him to try. That is a wonderful idea. Until you mentioned it I had forgotten that his taste had changed after he was on the Adkins diet (lost 50 lbs) he no longer loved Chinese food or his favorite grilled chicken marinara

thanks so much

Lanny:)

It's true that food tastes change.. I didn't believe that would really happen.. I am an extremely picky eater as well.. and I'm finding more and more lately (even without restriction right now), there's a lot of foods that just taste bad to me now.. some of my favorite foods! I don't get it, I don't see the link.. but it happens.. and I have developed a like for food I didn't like before.. particularly bananas.. I could take them or leave them pre-op.. now it's my favorite snack, and I find myself craving them a lot.

thanks for sharing i will try to have several different kinds of things for him to try I am praying that will try them and enjoy trying new things His main worry right now is Diet Coke. He loves it and drinks more than he should but he has been trying to drink more Water and juices and he loves unsweet tea with sweet n low. Has any one tried the new Vitamin waters?

thanks so much

It's true that food tastes change.. I didn't believe that would really happen.. I am an extremely picky eater as well.. and I'm finding more and more lately (even without restriction right now), there's a lot of foods that just taste bad to me now.. some of my favorite foods! I don't get it, I don't see the link.. but it happens.. and I have developed a like for food I didn't like before.. particularly bananas.. I could take them or leave them pre-op.. now it's my favorite snack, and I find myself craving them a lot.

When you lose weight the fat is burned. When fat is burned it turns to various chemicals that are released from the body via sweat, urine, SALIVA, and breath. When the keytones are released via saliva it causes bad breath (such as Atkins diet makes your breath stinky??) and tastes change.

During this time it's a great time to learn new habits such as foods we didn't previously like because suddenly they taste good.

I used to gag just looking at oatmeal. I thought of it as baby food. Now I love the stuff. Yet Jelly Beans really honestly taste like dirt to me today were I used to like them.

thanks for sharing i will try to have several different kinds of things for him to try I am praying that will try them and enjoy trying new things His main worry right now is Diet Coke. He loves it and drinks more than he should but he has been trying to drink more Water and juices and he loves unsweet tea with sweet n low.

thanks so much

i used to be a diet (cherry) coke-aholic. 3-4 20oz bottles a day..

now i dont drink it anymore because it just tastes different. i'm just not interested in it anymore. every once in awhile i drink about half a glass, then i'm good for a couple months.

best of luck to you and your husband.

Congratulations on the team work Lanny, your hubby is lucky to have you involved in his new journey. Although my hubby is excited about my weight loss, he couldn't tell you where the band is or where the port is, only that he thinks I look good, LOL

When I was first banded I refused to do Protein Shakes, because I hate milk, yuk! Then I started making my smoothies out of ice, light orange juice, a splash of apple juice (helps with the poop dept), frozen strawberries and oh yeah, 1/2 a banana, blend well. Sometimes when I'm bad, I add a little vodka, although, i'm not advocating wasted calories.

Hugs to you both.

Thanks so much We sure appreciate the help my husband liked to sound of not wanting diet coke any more I pray it happens for him he starts the day off with a diet cokes and goes to bed with one ha ha Harley Nana loved your smothie recipe minus the vodka ofcourse thanks a lot!