Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think it's a slip??

I was banded a year ago, and have lost 93 pounds. I've only ever had one fill because it is all I've needed.

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly developed acid reflux. I've never had trouble with acid before, except when I had an empty stomach and my digestive acids were trying to digest nothing. But, I suddenly found myself awakening in the middle of the night with vomit in my mouth, choking and aspirating the Fluid. I develped aspiration pneumonia and was put on Protonix. The protonix has really helped, but I am also really careful about the kind of foods I eat and when I eat. No more coffee, no more eating after 7-ish. In order to eat, I HAVE to drink hot tea first. Otherwise, getting anything down is a no-go. I have days when I can eat chunks of food, others when it is strictly Soup and liquids. For instance, last week I ate a salad with chicken chunks. Normally, I live on soup and mashed potatoes. I guess I'm thinking if I had a slip, then there wouldn't be days when I can eat solid foods, and others when I can't. However, I do have hiccoughs, burping, acid reflux and back pain when I have trouble getting food down. Does this sound slippy?

I have an upper GI scheduled, but wanted to hear your opinions.

I was banded a year ago, and have lost 93 pounds. I've only ever had one fill because it is all I've needed.

A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly developed acid reflux. I've never had trouble with acid before, except when I had an empty stomach and my digestive acids were trying to digest nothing. But, I suddenly found myself awakening in the middle of the night with vomit in my mouth, choking and aspirating the Fluid. I develped aspiration pneumonia and was put on Protonix. The protonix has really helped, but I am also really careful about the kind of foods I eat and when I eat. No more coffee, no more eating after 7-ish. In order to eat, I HAVE to drink hot tea first. Otherwise, getting anything down is a no-go. I have days when I can eat chunks of food, others when it is strictly Soup and liquids. For instance, last week I ate a salad with chicken chunks. Normally, I live on soup and mashed potatoes. I guess I'm thinking if I had a slip, then there wouldn't be days when I can eat solid foods, and others when I can't. However, I do have hiccoughs, burping, acid reflux and back pain when I have trouble getting food down. Does this sound slippy?

I have an upper GI scheduled, but wanted to hear your opinions.

This is Tina in Florida. I've never done this so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. However, this is exactly what is happening to me. I wondered if anyone responded with an answer? I have rescheduled my upper GI for next week, and tomorrow am going to have the doc who did this last fill back some of the Fluid out. I just can't seem to get a decent fill no matter who I go to! I am in soooo much pain from the reflux and am on Nexium, Relgan, and still have to take Zantac and Maalox just to make it through the day! Please let me know if someone responds....Thanks!

Hey Tina. No, I haven't received any responses, but I have my upper GI scheduled for tomorrow. I don't know when a doctor will look at it, and I'm not really sure what the tech will be able to tell me, but I will let you know what I find out. I really, REALLY don't want this to be a slip! I LOVE my band!!!!

I hope everything turns out well for you.

When symptoms like the ones you two describe arise out of nowhere, it may very well be a slip. But it may also be irritation caused by something else, and there's no way to tell without the proper examinations.

Good luck with your testing and PLEASE let us know how you're doing!!

I had been having the same symptoms, but my Dr. and I think it's actually triggered by taking Zoloft. If you're on an antidepressant, one of the possible side effects is gastrointestinal issues (reflux, vomiting, etc). Zoloft and Cymbalta are the worst offenders, though I understand the other antidepressants can also cause this problem. If you're taking an antidepressent, see if your reflux/pain/vomiting follows shortly after you take your meds. If it does, bring it up with your doctor. I'm now eating yogurt with my zoloft and it has toned down the reflux significantly. However, I'm getting off the Zoloft as soon as my dr. gets back into town.

I've just arrived home from having my upper GI and... my band is too tight. Nothing more! No slip, no erosion, no pouch dilation, just too too tight. The radiologist was amazed that I've been getting anything down because none of the barium passed through my band. He says -.5cc should take care of it. I am soooo elated!

I LOVE my band!

That's great news! I had something kind of similar happen. I had been with the same fill level for about 8 months, and everything was going fantastic, when suddenly one day I woke up and couldn't keep fluids down! It happened just out of the blue. I was so shocked because up until then everything had been perfect.

I got a swallow test and everything was just fine, no slippage, nothing. My band had just suddenly tightened up out of the blue.

So I had an unfill and am now re-filled back, but looser. I had previously had 1.5cc's and now I have only 1cc, which is quite loose. However, I would much rather be loose than be too tight!

Now, though, I have to be really careful and have gone on a strict calorie-counting/no white flour/no sugar regimine. So it's alot more work.

I wonder what causes the band to do that for no reason?

lADIES, i FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! Well last night I had to have my band removed as I had severe reflux and all of the symptoms you were listing! I was no able to get Water down, so I was dehydrated and had to wait all day for another surgeon to take out the band. I woke up feeling instantly better- mind you as I went into surgery I was burping up acid- it was crazy! He said my band was too tight and only when he went in to remove it couldhe see the slip:notagree(mind you I never had a fill and had no liquid in it) and my stomach and esophagus was severly inflamed. I had had my band for 1 year and lost 62lbs. Crazy!!! I am sad as I was ready for this to be my new life, but at the end I was relieved as I was scared overall!!! Good luck to you all.

I had/have all those symptoms. Sometimes I can eat whatever and other times I am so tight I can't even eat yogurt w/o PBing. It's a tempermental little thing. I have found some things that help when it is too tight.

I have to drink Water before eating so that I do not have spasms which make it so I PB. I have to start with something very soft and eat it very slow. Then my esoph. starts working right and then I can eat regular food as long as I chew well and I can eat about a cup of food.< /p>

When it's been wide open and I am able to eat even bread, I have found the secret to make it tighten up w/o a fill.

I go on liquids only for 1 to 2 days and keep it at about 700 calories. It works and I am tight when I go back to regular food. It totally gives my band a jump start.

A few days ago I think something bad happened and I am going to go start a post and ask some questions about that.

Hmm it is odd how all of a sudden the band would tighten up without it being a fill to cause it. I too have the same symptoms and you're really convincing me I need to have my band looked at and possibly have some fill taking out. I'm tired of waking up between 1 and 4am every day by the coughing I do due to acid in my throat and/or mouth. I've tried watching what I eat, not eating so late to no avail. I'm currently trying Zantac to see if it helps but that's the last straw...time for the docs.

Dear All,

Im so glad I found this site. I've been worrying myself to death. I was banded last aug. I am filled up to 6.8cc on a 7cc band. So Im real tight. As I am a compulsive and emotional eater, I dont mind having this tight a band. I've initially lose 2 stone (28lbs) but started putting on 1/2stone (7lbs) Some days I can eat anything, on other days, I'll take a bite, and I'll start pb everything I eat. I will put a finger in my throat to throw all the food back out. Then when I though I have totally empty myself, I try to take another bite, and the whole roller coaster starts again. Im beginning to feel as if Im going towards bulimia habit.

Still, a couple of weeks ago, the pb got so bad, I felt some acid reflux (1st time ever) follow up with the slime. That left a very bitter taste to my tongue. However, after that, for the next 10days, I could eat anything, bread, chicken, steak, everything, and I was beside myself thinking I've had a slip. So I rang my radiologist office up and the reception told me perhaps they need to take some fill out for me.

But yday, my period came on, and now my band started tightenning up all on its own again and Im once again feeling the restriction?? Im really at a lost what is happening inside my band??? Anyone knows??

We have to remember that it's not the BAND that tightens spontaneously. It's wrapped around our stomachs, and that is human tissue that changes in density with Fluid fluctuations. It's not at all uncommon for people to feel tighter at times of greater Water retention (like right before or during a period) or congestion (like during spring hay fever season). That's when retained Fluid makes the stomach tissues thicker, which in turns makes the stoma smaller and our banded stomachs feel tighter.

At times like that we have to be EXTRA cautious and eat as carefully as we can. One PB can lead to irritation, which can lead to swelling, which can lead to increased restriction, which can lead to more PBs, etc., etc., etc. And if a fill is too much to start with, well, it can be a neverending vicious cycle.