Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did it and I'm freaking out

Hi all!

I just got banded this last Monday, June 18th with Dr. Spivak.....I am going crazy and have all sorts of emotions from being glad I did it to oh my God what the heck did I do to myself. Do you have any suggestions on how to get over this hurdle and how long it takes to get to feel like this is normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cat

forget about normal!! LOL!! You are on a spectacular journey!! You have done a WONDERFUL thing for yourself!! and you have great support here on lapbandtalk!! Best of luck to you...I was banded 6/13/06....and have lost 108 lbs....it seemed like a slow loss but low and behold a year has gone by and I am no longer morbidly obese...still have 55 lbs to go but the light at the end of the tunnel is near...and I actually gave away fat clothes for the first time in my life...cause I know the weight is going to stay off!!!

Hi all!

I just got banded this last Monday, June 18th with Dr. Spivak.....I am going crazy and have all sorts of emotions from being glad I did it to oh my God what the heck did I do to myself. Do you have any suggestions on how to get over this hurdle and how long it takes to get to feel like this is normal?

Cat

Oh, Cat, it is completely normal to feel that way. After a month without solid food after surgery, I told my dr. I thought I had made a mistake. He chuckled and said, "oh, you're a little late--most people regret it while they are sore and have gas pains and can't move without pain, can't sleep without pain, etc."

My only suggestion is just to take a deep breath and re-think your reasons for being banded. Nothing has really changed except that you are recovering from anesthesia, you are facing a major life change, and you are still miserable from the surgery. Just hang in there. Most of those things will be gone in a few weeks and you'll have a clearer picture.

Good luck with your recovery! You did a great thing for yourself and you will be successful. Congratulations!

All that can really be said is that most people have the same feelings and it is perfectly normal. The thing about the band is, if you don't fill it, you won't have restriction. So, if you really regret doing it in the long run, you can just leave it unfilled and it will probably be almost like it is not there. And, of course, if you really want to some day, you can have it taken out.

However, what will probably happen with you is what happens with most of us. That is, after a few days or a couple weeks, we start to remember why we had the surgery, and the huge price our body will pay if we do not lose some weight, and then we begin to be pretty glad we have this tool to help us deal with the weight issues. That will probably happen with you as well.

So, for now, just keep reading the forum, take it easy, know that most people have the same concerns you have, and don't worry too much about the long term right now.

Hi all!

Cat

You just started get it some time. My best advice is to get up and walk around keep moving. That really helped me We were banded by the same doctor. So congrads on your surgery and take one day at a time:)

Okay, first of all, what you need to do is.....sit back, take a DEEP breath and blow it out. Visualize yourself the way you want to look and open your eyes and say...."I WILL LOOK LIKE THAT"...you will be fine. I went through the exact same thing...EVERYONE does. It is an emotional ride but A GREAT FUN ONE!!! I am two months post op as of yesterday, have lost almost 50 pounds since starting two week pre op diet and feel LIKE A MILLION bucks. Can't wait to see what the next 50 feels like!!! You are wonderful, beautiful person who will do this!! This is the LAST time you will be this heavy!! I cried my heart out when hubby was driving home the next day after surgery and could not stop. I can NOW think how silly that was, but it wasn't at the time. It is a major surgery and emotions run rampant. Enjoy yourself, soon there will be LOTS less of you to enjoy..LOL...Deanna

Yea, I remember that first week after surgery, where all of a sudden I was like "what on Gods green earth did I just do to myself?! This is freaking permanent!!!" It hit me like a ton of bricks! The first time you'll step on the scale, and see that you lost weight, those thoughts will fly away faster than a drug dealer running from the cops. You'll see!

Hiya Cat,

welcome to bandland! It does get better, I promise.

When you are up and about please come to Dr Spivaks wellness meeting every Tuesday night. Its alot of fun and we are all there to support eachother and have a fun time too. There are people at all stages of this journey, from newly banded to 6 years out.

Congrats on your new lifestyle!

Self pay 3.30.07

The Man, The Myth, The Legend... Dr Spivak

310/273/210

Thank you everybody who has responded....I guess it is the effects of the anesthesia. I wanted the lapband to improve my lung disease so I could be here for my daughter....so I will try to focus on this and when I start to panic and get anxious remember all that you have all siad to me and know that I will be healthier and be here for my daughter....Thanks again for all of you inspiring words. I will continue to read posts here and know that everyone here is like family because you are all so supportive to everyone here.

Thanks, :(

Cat

Be sure you check out the before and after pics on this site as well--that will keep your head on straight. They are very inspiring and where I go when I wonder what in the world I've done to myself.

Oh, I can relate with the emotion thing

I got banded on thursday and boy am I ever experiencing emotions

Last night was the worst of it all, I convinced myself this was the worst decision I ever made, and I wanted it out of me!

I ended up crying for hours on the phone with my mom

I suffered yesterday when I had to safety pin my slacks at work to keep them up. I will suffer Friday when I am off from work and go shopping for pants that fit. NOT!!!!!!!!

That sounds good I can't wait till I have that same problem I would love to buy smaller clothes...something else to look forward to....:(