Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Syntrax Nectar taste - Clear liquid help

My surgery is in a few weeks so I've been trying a whole bunch of Protein Drinks. Today I tried the Cherry nectar and it was HORRIBLE! I tried adding some Crystal Light Cherry Limeaid drops and it helped it slightly but I couldn't make it through a 16oz glass. Do they all taste bad? I'm trying specifically to find things for the Clear Liquids phase and I'm getting really nervous. I tried just pouring the powder in my water bottle but it was too clumpy so I put it all in my NutraBullet and then it was a huge frothy mess. After the froth died down I drank it (well about 3/4 of it) but the aftertaste and texture was bad. HELP? Please give this newbie some advice, other brands, recipes, tips or tricks.
TIA! :)

I wasn't a fan of cherry. I liked Cappuccino, peach, lemonade, and sweet tea. I actually bought more of the cappuccino flavor.

Oh I blend in my Nutribullet, stick it in the fridge and let the froth settle before I drink.

This is what I have been doing for the last several months, and I like it better than anything on the market for pre-mades. Take a glass of cold (or tepid, if you have just had your surgery and can't get down liquid well) Water, and unflavored Protein powder, add water-enhancer drops to taste. There are many varieties and brands available. You find them in the grocery store. I get my unflavored Protein Powder off the internet, Amazon.com, specifically, but I am sure there are other sources. I also add my powdered Calcium citrate and benefiber (only once a day) to my "cocktail". You can mix the flavors to find what you like. Good luck to you.

Thanks @@CanyonBaby! I was wondering if I could do that without tasting the Protein Powder. What type of powder do you use?

I take grapefruit Syntrax and mix it with Crystal Lite. It tastes just like Fresca. I put Ocean Spray Cran-grape cocktail with cranberry Protein powder. Before I drink iy, I run it through a small strainer to get lumps out. My other favorite is Syntrax chocolate Mint. I mix that with Almond Milk. It is like drinking a Peppermit Patty. Sometimes I will take unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder and put it in cooled-down jello-Water and drink that.

@@jas84047

I use TG's and GENEPRO. GENEPRO has 30g per scoop, which is half the amount of most unflavored powders, but there have been questions about whether or not it can truly offer such Protein value per 15g serving. So I alternate it with TG's, which has a hefty scoop, and not as high Protein value (I believe it is 25g per scoop).

Yes, there is a taste to unflavored protein, I liken it to coffee Creamer flavor, but not as sweet. With the Water Enhancer drops, you hardly notice the protein flavor. Remember, unflavored does NOT mean there is no flavor, it is just that they don't ADD flavor.

You can also add the powder to just about anything wet: Soups, V8, other juices (watch the carbs!), scrambled eggs, coffee/tea (try iced - I like chai-spice iced tea!!!) chili, stews..... You may have to mix it with a little cool Water before adding it to hot foods (or it might clump). Be creative and when you find new ways to use it, please SHARE!!!!!

I meant to say TWICE the protein of most powders, for GenePro. Not half. SORRY! It is half the scoop size.

@@jas84047,

I'm a big fan of the lemon tea, and using a shaker bottle fixed my foam and clump problems completely.

Avoid GENEPRO - it's impossible to have 30 g of Protein in 15 g of powder, their labelling is misleading and no studies to date have shown their 15 g of Protein to be better absorbed, etc, than other protein isolates.

Another, savory option, is broth.html" rel="external nofollow">pho broth. It's rich, salty, savory, and packed with protein. Check out the recipe here if you like - this stuff kept me going post-op and had enough calories (more than Syntrax per volume) to give my body what it needed to heal quickly despite the minimal volumes I was able to consume.

I also have a protein-packed jello-like recipe if you like here.

Congrats, by the way, on your surgery choice - I'm so excited for you - this side of things is beautiful!

Thanks @@Smye for all the great info! I have bookmarked those recipes. I will keep the shaker bottle in mind - I figured the bullet would be better since most Protein powders are so clumpy but I guess I didn't realize they also create a froth issue. :)

Ahh, nectar - it seems to be a love it or hate it thing. I want to like it, but it gags me.

The "milky" flavors are okay, like chocolate and cappuccino (especially if doctored up), but I can only drink the fruity ones mixed with milk. I love that you can buy the portable packs though, instead of committing to a jug of it.

I DO like the cappuccino one, made with skim milk, with a bit of espresso powder (I've been using the regular stuff, not the Decaf, but it doesn't matter) and a generous squirt of Folgers caramel coffee flavor (0 calories). Blend it up, let it sit on the way to work, then top off the Blender Bottle with ice. It tastes like a caramel machiatto (sp?) and I can't detect the Protein that way at all as long as there's a lid on the cup.

I loved the fuzzy navel flavor. shake it and let it rest if you must. did you order a variety pack to find a flavor you like? search on here and you can find the phone number to call and they will send you 15 flavors to try. take notes.