Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panni+Abdominoplasty - Definitely some surprises......and a Question

It all happened in such a rush.....I got all my paperwork and medical records together, had my consultation, got my approval days later, and surgery the next week. I feel like I didn't have enough time to prepare. I was NOT prepared for how difficult the recovery would be. I only took 2 weeks off work and I need another week for sure. Also the drainage tubes. Oh. My. Gosh. So uncomfortable and painful coming out. OUCH! And then....um.....the girl parts are a bit differently placed than they used to be. THAT was a little bit of a surprise. I'm 2.5 weeks out from surgery, and the first 2 weeks for super rough. I'm feeling better every day now.

I do have a couple questions for those who have done this. I have a very large bump on the the very very end of my incision - like on my hip bone - maybe from the internal stitches. Does this go away on it's own? What the heck is it? Help?

Could be what's called a 'dog ear'. I had one, from the drain that was the last to come out. Once you are completely healed, if it's still there, insurance should cover the removal. Had my done in office, with local anesthetic. Double check with your surgeon, though, to make sure that it's nothing that needs to be looked at to make sure it's not an infection or anything else.

Inquiring minds want to know... What's going on with the girl parts?!?I'm hoping mine get a "lift" with my TT, but if yours ended up under your chin, I may reconsider! ????

Edited by Bluesea71

Inquiring minds want to know... What's going on with the girl parts?!?I'm hoping mine get a "lift" with my TT, but if yours ended up under your chin, I may reconsider! ????

Too funny that you ask this. I didn't really expect this....didn't know it was part of the whole thing. The first time I saw my "lady parts" in the mirror I was like "holy crap!!" It's a good thing though. I got a little lift and it's back where it belongs lol

I found myself thinking of you and this post the other day. How has your recovery been?!?

I, too, was pleasantly surprised by the Lipo done in the ladygarden.

Now in my work out gear, things are seeming normal instead of protruding like they seemed before .

Just a nice side benefit of a flat stomach at 60... What a wonderful thing to be able to reshape a few parts!!

And I totally agree that the first 2 weeks of recovery were not easy or simple ... But so glad 12 weeks out

I found myself thinking of you and this post the other day. How has your recovery been?!?

Aww thanks for thinking of me! I am a couple days away from being 6 weeks post op from the panni and abdominoplasty. I am feeling pretty good. This week is the first time I'm venturing out without the ab binder and just my spanks alone. My ab muscles are still sore and pretty weak, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be and I figured it was kind of like a band aid, you have to just pull it off and get on without it at some point. So, I'm doing pretty well with that. I'm hoping to get in a few long walks this week, and then maybe by next week I will be able to try to ease back into running so I can be ready to start training in July for my 1/2 marathon.

I'm keeping "scar away" scar sheets on my scar and massaging it for 5 minutes 2x a day, so it still is pretty pink now but I'm hoping after 3 or so months of that I'll see a big improvement. I definitely don't regret it for a minute. I feel fabulous about the way I look now. Not self-conscious at all anymore about carrying around that excess skin as a reminder of the way I used to live my life in relation to food.

Now I am just waiting to hear back on my (81 page!!!!!) appeal for my brachioplasty (arm lift). They received it on June 1 and have 30 days to review it, so I'm hoping to hear sooner rather than later. Maybe today I'll call and check in :-)

Oh I also have some before and after pics. Here they are. The scar is covered with scar sheets so it's safe for the weak of stomach. :-) Don't mind the stretch marks. That is just part of life with 4 kids lol

post-182723-0-85278300-1434383728_thumb.jpg

post-182723-0-06434000-1434383730_thumb.jpg

post-182723-0-17954800-1434383731_thumb.jpg

@@livvsmum are the Spanx pretty snug? I was told by my surgeon, that the longer I wear compression, the better the result. She said six months is optimal. So since this was probably my only chance, wanted to do all I could, so wore compression for 6 months, which is really just a drop in the bucket. You look WONDERFUL!!

@@livvsmum what kinds of things did you put in the appeal, that may help? I would love to have brachioplasty!

@@livvsmum are the Spanx pretty snug? I was told by my surgeon, that the longer I wear compression, the better the result. She said six months is optimal. So since this was probably my only chance, wanted to do all I could, so wore compression for 6 months, which is really just a drop in the bucket. You look WONDERFUL!!

Yes, they are definitely snug. The binder was pretty bulky, and I still wear it at night, but I feel like the spanx are holding it all in pretty snugly for now. My surgeon suggested that and said it was fine unless I start to have any swelling or anything.

@@livvsmum what kinds of things did you put in the appeal, that may help? I would love to have brachioplasty!

Well, I think the biggest reason it was denied to begin with is that my medical records never were sent with the initial requests. I have 4 months worth of PCP visits with details including infections that I had and prescription and OTC treatments that tried and failed, that were never sent. So all they received was the plastic surgeon's request and photos. For my policy, they also require at least 3 months of medical necessity documentation.

So, I had all that together already because I thought they sent it, so I sent that along with a really well-written and convincing letter from my PCP about why he sees it as being medically necessary and also a personal letter from me about how the flare ups limit my range of motion and cause interruption in my life, etc. It also involved a peer-to-peer phone conversation with my doctor, which I'm not sure if that happened yet or not. With all the records and letters from my PCP and me it was 80 pages. LOL. Have fun reviewing that. Should have just approved it the first time. haha.

If it gets denied again, there is a 3rd level appeal I can do, but I'm not sure what all that entails.

Good luck, I hope it gets approved!

Hi..I know I'm definitely not at the stage of surgery yet lol..I'm only 1 week and 3 days post sleeve but I was wondering if you ladies that went through this think that there's a way to minimize some of the loose skin? We are going on a cruise in Sept (at that time it will be 3 months since surgery) and I don't want to look horrendous!! Any suggestions? Please. Congrats to all of you btw in your success :)

Good luck, I hope it gets approved![/quote

Thank you! Me too!!