Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I've always suffered from harsh cramps at ToM and Advil and Alieve were always my go to. Of course that is a no no. Tylenol dulls it and makes it tolerable but has anyone found anything to be more helpful? Especially when at work where I can't double over. :blink:

I also have had menorrhagia since giving birth to my first over 6 years ago and it got worse after having my son almost 3 years ago. I see my GYN next week and I'm going to discuss having an ablation. I worry about my Iron levels during this time since I'm already malabsorbtive. I had a tubal so I'm done with kiddos so I'm not worried about that part.

Any suggestions for cramping solutions would be greatly appreciated.

I had an ablation over 6 years ago and next to my VSG this was my favorite surgical procedure I've ever had. Haven't experienced a drop of blood since (sorry if that's TMI) It's AWESOME to not have to think about tampons and pads. Wished I'd had it done at 13 when I started my period!

As for the cramps, my surgeon has OK'd NSAIDS for occasional use. In fact, he sends all of his patients home with sublingual NSAID for 5 days postop. The benefits of reducing surgical inflammation outweighs the small risk of ulcers over such a short period of time. Since then, He simply advised to take a PPI and/or sucralfate if I need to take them for several days/weeks in a row. I have been on both NSAIDS and steroids (that can also cause ulcers) for neck and spinal issues a couple times since VSG.

If you still don't want to try NSAIDs, you may try traumeel. It is a natural pain reliever. You may also ask your doc about dicyclomine. It's normally Rx'd for IBS and helps reduce muscle spasms (cramps) in the GI tract. It's worked wonders to help with the pain I've had during gall bladder attacks. Don't know if would help with menstural cramps.

I have a good friend that has had similar results following her ablation. I'm so over it and the small fortune I spend monthly along with it. I figure since I've hit my max out of pocket for the year, that I would try to get in all the appointments I've been putting off for far too long.

I'm actually on a prednisone dose pack right now for walking pnuemonia. Talk about getting hit with everything at once. But I'm also taking two very strong antibiotics and my stomach is not so enamored with them. I will definately as about NSAIDs. I did suffer from IBS several years back, but I've been able to keep my stress in check much better. I did have a pill that helped with the spasms. I may look into that as well. Did/does the ablation help with the cramping as well?

I had an ablation 3 years ago. I was told beforehand that 70% of women will have little to no bleeding after an ablation, 20% will have lighter periods and 10% of patients will have no change. The cramps didn't get any better for me but I went from bleeding 20-28 days to 10 and from irregular to regular periods. Honestly, I really wish I had gone with a hysterectomy. I've been told if I have a second ablation I have an 80% chance of having no bleeding. For now, I'll manage by doing what I have been doing. I'll be watching this post for ideas for the cramps, they can be debilitating.

Good luck!

I have a good friend that has had similar results following her ablation. I'm so over it and the small fortune I spend monthly along with it. I figure since I've hit my max out of pocket for the year, that I would try to get in all the appointments I've been putting off for far too long.

I'm actually on a prednisone dose pack right now for walking pnuemonia. Talk about getting hit with everything at once. But I'm also taking two very strong antibiotics and my stomach is not so enamored with them. I will definately as about NSAIDs. I did suffer from IBS several years back, but I've been able to keep my stress in check much better. I did have a pill that helped with the spasms. I may look into that as well. Did/does the ablation help with the cramping as well?

The steroids you are on are just as bad for your tummy as NSAID's, so if your doc is OK with the pred pack, he ought to be OK with occasional NSAIDS. But don't, repeat, DO NOT, take them together! That's a no no even with a regular stomach. Are you currently taking a PPI? Maybe ask about other stomach protectants (ie. Sucralfate) while you are taking all these Meds. Anything to help reduce acid and protect your GI lining during this time. Another "natural" thing to try is aloe Vera juice. It can be very soothing to your tummy and help heal any damage before it becomes a full blown ulcer.

I never had very bad cramping, so can't tell you if the ablation really helped with that or not. But the first time I went on vacation after the ablation and I didn't have to pack tampons, I knew it was real!

I have always had terrible, make-me-want-to-hurt-others-so-they-know-my-pain cramps. No pain relievers helped. I have a rice bag which I heat up in the microwave and alternate placing it on my stomach and my back. Not something you probably can use at work, but it helps, especially at bed time when I want to sleep.

You all have me thinking about ablation, too.

Ive tried Dark chocolate (sugar free ),when away from home & my dr suggested running vacuum cleaner says pushing / pulling helps ease cramps but everyone is different.

A little house aggressive housecleaning to work it out doesn't sound like a bad idea!

Ive tried Dark chocolate (sugar free ),when away from home & my dr suggested running vacuum cleaner says pushing / pulling helps ease cramps but everyone is different.

@@countrygirl are you married to your doctor? That seems like a ploy. ;-)

I had an ablation four years ago and it has been the best. I had horrible bleeding and cramping so so bad. It was awful. the ablation completely stopped my bleeding!! And as for the cramping, I rarely have any at all. If I do have cramping it is over so fast I don't even have a chance to get a Tylenol. It has been a miracle.

Good luck to you and hope everything works out!!

No im not married to my DR. goodnuff,but its helped with cramps in the past.

Edited by counrtygirl