Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my name is Susan and my daughter and I have just begun this life changing journey. We have both had out first visit with our RNPs, and visited with the dietician. I groaned and she laughed when we were told that when we were able to eat Pasta and vegetables they would have to be cooked down yo mush. I like my food to have some texture , thank you very much. I told my daughter I might as well eat baby food. I have begun a walking regiment. I was surprised at how this is working out as I have degenerative disc disease and have trouble with back pain when I exercise. In fact, if I don't over do it, I find that I feel pretty good afterwards. Well that's a quick intro of me and my beginning journey.

Hi Susan! Welcome.

I too have degenerative disc disease and will be looking at a 3 level fusion in my cervical spine in the coming months. I have already had my lumbar fused in 2001. My spine issues are a result of psoriatic arthritis. Ugh!

Before my RNY surgery I could barely get around on my own two feet and I was miserable with pain and sick with many other health issues. All of my health issues have been resolved with the exception of my back and neck.

After surgery 7 months ago I started walking like crazy because it was the only thing I could do for a very short amount of time without severe pain.

Now, I work out at minimum 5 days per week for an hour each time doing cardio, some times 7 days a week.. I can walk mostly without pain for miles and miles. If I have pain, it is in my neck. I used to have such a hard time even walking up the stairs, now I can actually run up and down them!

I have lost 96lbs and am 50 from my goal. I feel fantastic, my health issues began resolving immediately after surgery. And I do mean immediately, no more type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, reflux! My stage 3 kidney disease is in remission as well.

Having this surgery was the best thing I have ever done for myself!

I will say, your tastes and diet will change drastically! I am Italian and my mother lovingly used to call me a spaghetti bender because it was my favorite thing to eat. In fact it was my last meal before I started the liquid diet. Now, my tastes have change and I crave good Protein and good carbs like vegetables and fruit. This is because you crave what you eat the most of. I do eat carbs everyday consistently but they are mostly good carbs.

A couple times a week I might add a starch like rice or potato to my meal but is just a bite or two because I fill up on Protein and vegetables. I used to love bread, now bread takes up too much room in my tummy and then I get hungry too fast. So, I just do not even bother with it.

Yes, once in a while I will even have a little something sweet just to get a taste, then realize it doesn't even taste that great. I mostly snack on nuts, jerkey, and cheese and I love it!

Good luck on your journey! I wish you all the best and if you have any questions feel free to reach out!

P.S. Baby food tastes like absolutely nothing. You will find you much prefer your own meals puréed because at least they taste like something.

Yeah, I was just popping off on the baby food thing. I'm not a candidate for back surgery, but I do have an intrathecal pain pump. Basically, that means it puts pain medicine directly into my spinal column at the L3-L4 area.

I am looking forward to the journey ahead and am greatful for the support from family and friends. My only regret is that my husband was not able to see it.

I walk as much as I can but, we're having a pretty wet spring this year (praise God) and between the rain, hail, and tornados it's getting difficult. I'm trolling Facebook hoping someone has exercise equipment that is doubling as a clothes rack that they would sell CHEAP or even better, give away. I haven't had much luck, but I will continue in my search.

My daughter has some undiagnosed health issues that make it even harder for her. Her loses feeling and strength in her legs when she walks too much. We try to keep each other up beat but sometimes it:s difficult.