Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long PCT section hike advice! It AT

I love long hikes I do section hikes up to 14 days at a time on the trail! I don't imagine I'll be able to eat my granola bars after my sleeve (June 8th)! Anyone wake section or thru home have any tips!?? I am going to wait a good 4-5 months post sleeve to attempt a long hike but am researching any tips will be appreciated!

Hydration is tuff because of the reduced size of your stomach you really have to keep up. There is no catching up anymore. Protein Bars and some granola might be fine. I had my bypass September 2014 and I can eat granola & I do Protein bars, personally I like think thin they have no sugar compared to a lot of them. You will get into a groove especially if you really hone into activity & you will know that you need to eat more & drink more when it's physically demanding. Like today I did a lot and it was hot for the first time so I am paying the price now.

@alindsey. I am ten months post op. I will be doing a week on the Appalachian trail this summer. I have done long day hikes (sunup to sun down) since my surgery. I am a little worried too as this will be my first time overnight and multiple days in a row hiking and having to carry my pack/supplies.

From my experience doing the day long hikes I felt like I was able to stay reasonably hydrated. However, I felt it was hard to keep up my food intake compared to calories burned. Everyone else could power eat at the end of the day.

I did take granola, Jerky and Protein Bars to eat. That seemed to help. One day I was so hungry and behind on my calories I ate a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

I too would like any advice anyone has to offer.

How many days do you plan to hike it? Good luck on your hike!!

At least a week long hike 7 days! I love long section hikes. I'm in California now so I'm going to hit the PCT! I've done many sections of the AT I absolutely love it!!! I think hydration is key. I worry about feeling sick to though if we can't get calories in cause you burn so many through the day! I was thinking the mashed potatoes packets maybe a good source of easier to eat carbs and oatmeal maybe I dunno though!? Good luck to you also glitter! Let me know how your hike goes!

Edited by alindsey