Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick question about hair loss

I'm a little over 3 months post op and I'm just starting to really see noticeable hair loss. I've heard and read all about this happening prior to my surgery. And I've also read that your hair will eventually go back to normal. But what I haven't heard or read (or maybe I wasn't paying attention) is HOW LONG does it take till it starts to grow back or go back to the way it was?

@@Jennifer4775

I was told by my dietician that it will last about 6 months after the hair loss starts. For me It started at three months out. I'm 11 months out and I still have Hair loss going on.

I had really "significant" Hair loss for about a month and a half. From the 3.5 month mark to the 5 month mark. After that, the loss continued, but was slower and I could see the new growth coming in. I'm at 8 months now and still lose more hair now than I did pre-op, but not significantly. My new growth is about 2 inches long now.

I think the Hair loss, length you lose it, regrowth and what helps is a very individual process.

For me I started losing hair at about month five or six. It soon began coming out in clumps. I always reached my Protein goals and many days exceeded it, took 10,000 of Biotin a day, multi vit.,etc. and nothing worked. I started taking liquid silicia about two and half weeks ago and it has stopped a lot of the shedding. Now when I wash it I just lose a lot of strands, but no clumps. Also, the amount in my hairbrush is about 1/3 of what it was. Seems to work for me.

Like on of the previous posters mentioned, I was told it can last about six months but honestly I've seen a few people comment that it lasted longer & to the contrary , some shorter.

Biotin from what I was told (and read) does NOT stop hair from shedding but can aide with regrowth.

Biotin from what I was told (and read) does NOT stop hair from shedding but can aide with regrowth.

That's my understanding as well. It can help make hair thicker and stronger and it can help with regrowth, but it won't prevent Hair loss.< /p>

My Hair loss started about 2 months after and stopped at about 6 months after surgery. I'm now almost a year out from surgery and it's completely normal and thick and healthy like before--maybe even better now because of the better nutrition and all the Vitamins

I'm almost 11mos post op. My hair is definitely returning. Make sure your getting your Vitamins and add some Biotin :)

How much zinc???

My Hair loss started at about 4 months post op, primarily in the front of my head(lucky me)'and went on for about 2 months. I'm about 10 months out now and my hair texture has changed from coarse to fine according to my stylist. I took Biotin the whole time, did my Vitamins and got my Protein in. I've also lost 101# so a change in my hair is a very small price to pay. Good luck to you!

At 11 months mine is still super thin but I think the loss is now minimal.

My ponytail is ridiculous. I bought some beautiful clip in hair extensions with curl and volume and I love them. I get compliments all the time.

I've only colored my hair once since surgery. And I think I'm almost ready to try it again.

I agree with all the others .. Taking all the extras can't hurt and hopefully will help for stringer re growth.

I have very long, thick, healthy beautiful long hair. I dread that part. I get my surgery on 6-15. :(