Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my daughter and I both decided to look into surgery to help us lose weight. My sister did it 10 years ago and her son-in-law completed his first year on April 1. We found someplace that would take our insurance, went to a seminar, got the letter telling us that said insurance had agreed to pay for the surgery, and BAM we have each had our first appointment with the RNP. We each have different RNPs. Hers gave her a whole lot of information, including approximately how much time before she would actually have the surgery. Mine spent the whole time making me feel like a small child. When I told her that I understood my eating problems,(I eat when I'm stressed), she turned around and gave my a weird looked and asked me how was I going to do this if I was a stress eater. The whole program is stressful. I thought she was going to tell me I couldn't do it. I simply told her that recognizing the problem is the beginning of conquering it. I just have to pay attention to why I'm looking in the fridge. Am I hungry, or am I stressed or bored. She acted like she was skeptical. I went to my regular doctor to begin the doctor supervised diet and exercise before I saw the RNP. 5 weeks later I went back and found I had already lost 16 lbs. Take that Ms Skeptical.

Hi there!

Is it possible for you to change RNPs? If you are not connecting well with her, you might consider a change. You need someone that is supportive, informational and someone that can challenge you.

It sounds like yours simply wants to challenge you and stress you out.

It looks like you are able to power through it anyway but there will come a time when you need the support.

Good luck!

Some people who undergo weight loss surgery, lose a lot of weight only to regain some or most of it back. One of the reasons why is psychological, such as eating when stressed. Therefore as part of the program, individuals undergo testing by a psychologist prior to the surgery, along with pre-op medical tests to determine if there is any condition that needs to be corrected prior to the surgery.

It is not the pre-op surgery short term weight loss that is at issue or even the weight loss post-op that is at issue but whether one can maintain the weight loss during the years following surgery. Have you built up the coping skills to deal with stress eating or to seek help from professionals should the symptoms appear after surgery.

James, I understand this. I am bi-polar and not on medication, because I learned to recognize my symptoms and deal with them rather than letting them deal with me. I can do, and have started doing the same with my eating habits. When I find myself staring in the fridge I ask myself am I hungry and when was the last time I ate. If it's been less than 4 hours, I drink Water and find something useful to do. If more than 4, I take the time to prepare a complete meal. This makes me focus on what goes into the prep work and what I am putting on my plate. I have to pay attention. When you grab a handful of carrots or grab a Protein Bar or something like that, you are just nibbling and not paying attention to what your eating. I have found that if I find myself on the verge of a mindless snacking if I start work on my crochetin

Djmohr yes I have considered changing. In fact, my daughter told me I ought to. I have decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, and just figure she was having a bad day. If, when I go back in July, I have similar issues, I will request a new RNP