Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op can't do all liquid diet. Anyone else do okay on soft foods?

Not that I have any personal experience (really, I don't) but if AA meetings were anything like this thread and the vast majority of replies, no one would go to meetings.

Having said that, I think that the most prudent take aways are:

1) No 'one size fits all' experience. The proof is the variation of how Docs handle pre-op.

2) Following the rules given by your Doc and Nut are key. They will support you if you follow the program.

3) Variable réponses by each of us. I had no pain, and was able to drink immediately, and was moved to soft foods on Day 7 post op.

4) We all are passionate about why we did this - to fix a problem we COULD NOT CONTROL OURSELVES.

Its also funny about how folks tolerate (or don't) the Protein shakes. My Doc had me on Bariatric Advantage shakes Pre-Op. Nasty nasty nasty. Had to hold my nose when I drank, then flush my mouth with Crystal Light afterwards. I did then and do now refer to them as 'Franken-Shakes'.

But, now Post Op, I start each day off with Premier Protein Shakes. I found that making a 50/50 mix of vanilla and Choco makes it more palatable, sort of like Choco Milk. Either by themselves were too much and I didn't like. The Strawberries and Cream is terrible (MHO).

So, its a blend of following your program and listening to your body.

It was news to me that when eating too much solids too soon that you can cause damage to sleeve that may not show up as symptoms until weeks later. Thats a bit scary and actually is causing me to throttle down what I am consuming, having heard that.

So, just remember ... things will get better ... One Day at a Time ... One Meal at a Time ... One Bite/Sip at a Time.

Best of luck to us all!

-RC-

Had surgery 4/21 and over the last 24 hours I have felt also sick. I haven't ate anything of purée substance bc my stomach is upset ( nausea and diarrhea) so I don't know if that's the reason for me feeling so bad today with

nugirl, Glad to hear everything’s going okay…but please be careful! The last thing you want is to develop an infection or food intolerance or slow down healing because you didn’t stick to the WLS diet. Don’t take your health and recovery for granted. Better safe than sorry.

Stick to your surgeon’s diet instructions not only for health reasons (above), but also for weight loss reasons. By sticking to the liquid diet, you’ll find how strong you are, and that confidence and practice will help you later, when you want to go off your WLS diet. You’ll have the ability to say “no” to temptations and you’ll be better off for it.

Just my two cents…but however you can lose weight and be healthy, go for it!

But, now Post Op, I start each day off with Premier Protein shakes. I found that making a 50/50 mix of vanilla and Choco makes it more palatable, sort of like Choco Milk. Either by themselves were too much and I didn't like. The Strawberries and Cream is terrible (MHO).

I did Protein Shakes mix ups to tolerate them, too. I would mix half a premier with a cup of milk and a splash of SF coffee flavor syrups. My favorites were banana, espresso, almond and hazelnut.

I would throw it all in my blender with a handful of crushed ice and yum!

@@RaginCajun

I do have personal experience with AA, and let me tell you, they don't enable by gently patting the addicts on the head that aren't following the program with a "Now, now it's okay".

When it comes to someone engaging in harmful behavior and asking others to justify said harmful behavior at the risk of their own well being, sometimes a little tough love is in order.

This won't be a popular response, but I do not put much faith in the opinions of nutritionists and the like. I am pretty sure we are all capable of making intelligent decisions about our diet and our own best interest.

I just can't get past this sort of thinking. If you're so capable of intelligent decisions about your own diet and your own best interests, how did you get obese in the first place? It wasn't from making intelligent decisions.

I guess this is one of those times when I just have to say "well good on ya".

This won't be a popular response, but I do not put much faith in the opinions of nutritionists and the like. I am pretty sure we are all capable of making intelligent decisions about our diet and our own best interest.

I just can't get past this sort of thinking. If you're so capable of intelligent decisions about your own diet and your own best interests, how did you get obese in the first place? It wasn't from making intelligent decisions.

I guess this is one of those times when I just have to say "well good on ya".

Its probably because as individuals our level of obesity and personal goals are very different from one another. Your goals are yours and no one need question your motives nor your method of achieving them. Others may have very different reasoning and methods of reaching their goals.

That's what makes this forum a great place. We can all answer questions according to our own experience and not have to concern ourselves with someone else's idea of what is 'right'.

I say good for all of us for taking steps to improve our lives in whatever manner we choose.

@@sharonintx

I agree with you to a certain extent. But all that starts AFTER the physical healing is complete. After major surgery, you DO NOT choose to disregard the advice of the professionals. It's flat out dangerous and negligent.

Once the healing is complete, then you are free to continue your journey as you see fit. Whether forging ahead on your own, or choosing to do it by the book every step of the way.

I think all of you are right. That's why this is such a wonderful place for info and support.

I just answered the original question. I would never presume to tell someone else to do what I did nor would I tell them what the correct way is. Just posting my own experience.

This may be booming late in the day, but why not just find some Protein Shake that you like? I really don't mind the Premier Protein, there are other types/brands. You could also find some Pacific Coast Bone Broth, that has 14 grams of Protein per serving. The yogurt is prolly premature, but try kefir. Creamy Soups? I hear your frustration, though. I chewed up a piece of pepperoni and spit it out in the sink on day 8.