Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exploring Options - BCBS of Michigan

I have scheduled to attend a weight loss seminar at a local hospital on May 18, 2015. Is this the first step to beginning the road to WLS? Should I have met with my primary physician before I do this?

I currently have BCBS of Michigan through my small (less than 50 employees) employer. They will only cover 50% of the surgery as far as I know. When I called BSBS they didn't have anymore details than that to give me. My BMI is approximately 53.

Anyone have any advise, suggestions, experiences to share, etc? I am just looking to figure out what to expect next, what kind of timeline I might be on before surgery were performed, etc. Perhaps someone here has some info. to share.

HI, I have BCN of Michigan but the guidelines are the same. If you have a BMI of over 50, which I did too, they waive the 6 month supervised diet. You will just have to do the initial blood tests, Psych eval, Dietician and excercise pysiologist and meet with the MD and Surgeon. I am going through Beaumont Weight Control Center, the process is moving along pretty fast. The information seminar will help explain everythign. :)

Good Luck

Thank you for the response! May 18th can't get here soon enough. I feel like all I do is rush through my day to get home and research some more. I hope that I'll get more details after the informational seminar.

So blood work (which I had a TON of done in January.. like full panel everything.. wonder if that will count?) psych eval, meetings with a dietician, etc. are what I should expect? I just had a sleep study done a month ago and was put on a C pap as well. I'm hoping it all comes together quickly.

I went to the seminar locally on May 18th. In order to even make my 1st appointment there was a huge list of questions I was required to call my insurance company and get answers to. Hah.. BCBS wouldn't give me an answer one!

So... after reading online and talking to many friends I decided to look at surgeons and facilities elsewhere in the state. So on June 13th I head down to Barix Clinics in Ypsilanti, MI. My dad had his lap band done here about 5 months ago. On the 13th I'll attend another seminar AND have a face to face consultation with the surgeon. Nervous and excited all at once!

I had my surgery with Dr. Pop at Barix. It is a great facility with great people!