Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been wondering the same thing. My husband and I have been going through this journey together, and the surgeon recommended the bypass procedure to him. While they decided on the sleeve, I'm curious about hearing more pros-cons of the bypass. My appointment with the surgeon is in 10 days, so I don't know what his recommendation will be, but hadn't even really considered the bypass until now.

I was a perfect sleeve candidate. No comorbidities, no gerd. I has a BMI of 42. All my tests came back good. I did everything I was suppose to and I have developed terrible Gerd. There is no way for the doctors to know i would be in that percentage. Honestly when researching sleeve and it's side effects Gerd didn't even stick out to me because I never dealt with it and thought it would not be me. It is not fun at all. Going through the process of another surgery is not fun. I guess having the sleeve was a chance I took. Now on to surgery two. Everyone's experience is so different. I really wanted to love my sleeve, but I don't.

I'm very happy I ran into this post. I had my first consult today on May 4 and I was wanting the sleeve. My heart was set on the sleeve.Well he heard some of my history and the fact that I'm belching like crazy and I'm waking up with severe pain in my chest, under my breast and thru my back. We are currently trying to rule out gallbladder issues and they will also be doing a another test on me to see if I really have Gerd. My doctor also informed me that they have a lot more history on the bypass compared to the sleeve. So based on all of this information he recommends the bypass for me. He does want me to see the nut to make sure that I can stick to the diet restrictions that come along with the bypass surgery. I believe I am going to follow by Dr.'s orders and take his expert advice. I'm having the colonoscopy because of my age and the Endoscopic thingy and one other test which I have no idea what it's for on May 19 after that I see him again

I had planned on the sleeve and it seemed to be a perfect fit.

Then with the upper endo they discovered damage from reflux I didn't realize I had. I didn't even know reflux was an issue. It seems there is silent acid reflux.

Since the sleeve can cause reflux my surgeon said nope. I'm scheduled for rny on June 25th and perfectly happy with it.

Day 2 home 5 days from surgery. I did 2 laps around walking trail. No problem getting Fluid in. GENEPRO Protein what a lifesaver. 30 grams from one tablespoon and tasteless. But am bloated wasnt with band or sleeve. Pain is more but overall bypass is much easier then others. Not one moment of gerd

Glad to hear your revision process is moving smoothly! You have FEPBLUE??

How'd long did your approval process take?

First time 5 days. Second time took 2 years 3 days. Fepblue has a stipulation youvhave to go 2 years between wls even though it was medically necessary. But if its your first very quick and for the second just days after 2 years mark. Doctor couldn't appeal i could which i did they Dragged their feet till 2 year. I git approval from appeal and from dr submitted 2 years frim sleeve date

Yes, I am going through the revision process now. But they are still making me meet all requirements past the 2 year mark and even with it being medically necessary. My sleeve is twisted.... So frustrating

Just finished psych exam. Will finish nut visits in

August

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches