Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling...needing encouragement

I had surgery april 20th. The day of I was feeling great. On tuesday nausea took over and I couldn't get Down hardly anything. Yesterday was a little better but this morning wasn't good. I have a killer sharp pain in my left shoulder and I'm feeling more nauseated, but not nearly as bad as the 2nd day. liquids are tough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions or simply some encouragement to let me know this doesn't last forever? Thanks in advance.

I had an issue with nausea also for about 2 weeks. I wasn't allowed to eat chicken noodle Soup & the broth stuff in a can or carton really is awful. I bought Unjury's chicken Soup. It really helped & I got in my Protein too.

Everything gets better & I'm so glad I had this surgery. Good luck with your journey.

The shoulder pain is trapped gas. It will go away with time. Honestly, everything you describe will improve with time. The first few days are rough. There's just no way around it. Sip, sip, sip. Teeny tiny sips. Aim for one ounce of Water every 15 minutes. I found it a *little* easier to get my Water in while marching in place.

The good news is, everything you are experiencing will get better with time. Just hang in there and try to manage as best you can.

The shoulder pain is gas. I had it for almost a week post-op. I had a really rough time the first 10 days or so. Just know that each day you get through is one day closer to you feeling great! You just have to keep going......sip Water as much as possible, take your Vitamins, do Protein shakes in small amounts all throughout the day. Hang in there!

I understand your frustration. I had my sleeve this past April 6th. So far, I have lost 36 pounds. I thought I was doing great. Then, today I got on the scale to find that I gained two pounds. How is that possible? I am only taking in about 300 calories. So frustrating. Also, I am so tired. I teach school. I am drained all day. When I come home, I eat and take a nap for 2-3 hours. Then I sleep all night. Is this normal? Also, I have not had a normal bathroom experience since the surgery. Is it normal to have nothing but squirts? Next week I am looking forward to a can of tuna. I can't wait. Please reply.

I understand your frustration. I had my sleeve this past April 6th. So far, I have lost 36 pounds. I thought I was doing great. Then, today I got on the scale to find that I gained two pounds. How is that possible? I am only taking in about 300 calories. So frustrating. Also, I am so tired. I teach school. I am drained all day. When I come home, I eat and take a nap for 2-3 hours. Then I sleep all night. Is this normal? Also, I have not had a normal bathroom experience since the surgery. Is it normal to have nothing but squirts? Next week I am looking forward to a can of tuna. I can't wait. Please reply.

It's normal to be tired and weak in the early weeks post-op. For me it improved significantly as I moved through the food stages and was able to get more calories in. I don't know that I was ever as low as 300 calories a day though. Are you not able to get your Protein shakes in at this point? When I was doing my three shakes a day I was around 450 calories, I think. How are you doing on Water?

As for this alleged "gain" of two pounds... weight is going to fluctuate from day to day due to Water retention and whatnot. It's best to either stay off the scale or get your mind right about the fact that normal weight fluctuation is normal. If you are going to be stressing out or breaking down every time the scale goes up or stays the same, then it's best to avoid it altogether and only weigh once a week or even once a month!

Jamie,

I am having two shakes a day. Instead of the third shake, I either do a sugar free Jello pudding cup or a package of thin oatmeal. That gives me 300 calories a day. I have no trouble getting my 64 ounces of Water in. That's the one thing that I don't have a problem with. Can't wait till next week when I can eat more. I never thought a can of tuna would sound so good!

I, too had my surgery on April 20. Walking and using a heating pad on my shoulder has helped with the gas pain.

My problem, if you would call it that, is that my mom has been a great help but doesn't yet truly understand that I can't take big swallows of Water and Clear Liquids. It's an educational process.

Jamie,

I am having two shakes a day. Instead of the third shake, I either do a sugar free Jello pudding cup or a package of thin oatmeal. That gives me 300 calories a day. I have no trouble getting my 64 ounces of Water in. That's the one thing that I don't have a problem with. Can't wait till next week when I can eat more. I never thought a can of tuna would sound so good!

Is the issue that you aren't allowed a third shake per day or that you aren't physically capable of drinking one? If you could get that in or something with more Protein for your third "meal" like some drinkable yogurt, that might help you get in a little more calories and Protein. If you can have tuna next week doesn't that mean you can be having soft foods like scrambled egg or cottage cheese now? For me, tuna and chicken came after my soft food stage.

Jamie,

I can have the third shake. I just can't stomach another one. My powder from the doctor is as thin as Water. There is no substance to it. I am in week 2 which for me is full liquids. Next week, I can add can tuna or chicken, but not whole chicken pieces. I can have scrambled eggs with cheese. I am so looking forward to that. I think when I can get more food with Protein in it I will feel better without being so tired. Thanks for your replies.

At this stage I am still on Clear liquids but my surgeon said that the bariatric Soups are ok and that Premier Protein is the one exception to clears that he would approve.

You might consider mixing it up for flavor variety.

I got a ProtiDiet Tomato and chicken that have helped. Between the Soups, Premier Protein shake and ProtiDiet liquid concentrate I have been able to get my 100 grams a day in.

I just had surgery 4/23 and am finding even a sip of Water makes me dry heave. It hurts so bad. Not sure how I will get my liquids in today. I'm very scared. The nausea is killer!

I'm so sorry your having problems. I'm still having mind numbing shoulder gas and dizzy from low cals. Hope you get passed this soon.

Glad to hear it! The early days are so rough. I think the most important virtue when coping with WLS is patience. You need it while you are going through the approval process and awaiting surgery. You need it post-op when the recovery inches along day-by-day. You need it when learning how to eat with your new stomach and adapting to your new life. And you DEFINITELY need it when the scale isn't moving!