Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain!!! Did I overeat??

Hi. I am 16 days post surgery and was just advanced to soft foods. I have handled mushies fine and have become very hungry and have had no problems eating them. I just ate some very soft chicken and now I have pain in my back and in my stomach. Did I eat too much? I really dont have much restriction that I can tell but Maybe a bit more than I thought. Any one have any insight?:help:

Not everyone is alike (duh) but sounds like you just over did it. Chalk up every experience and try to remember what you ate/ were doing when you had problems. Mine is hiccups. I was banded 4/30/07 and got carried away the other day at a restaurant...swallowed a piece of shrimp without chewing fully. I puked in the bathroom four times. Great way to make friends. SLOW DOWN, EAT SLOW, THINK WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I'm guilty, sounds like you are too. Good luck my friend. Airwayman

I am sorry you are hurting but chicken probably wasn't a good choice for a soft food as it is one that many experienced bandsters even have trouble with. For the soft food stage try fish, ground beef, Beans that sort of thing. I have to say I am surprised that your doc ok'd you to soft foods at 16 days post op most are just starting mushies at that point. But just take it easy if something hurts don't eat it again for few days or a couple of weeks and when you do experience pain or irritation to your newly banded stomach stay on liquids the rest of the day to hopefully avoid a pb. Good luck and grats on being banded ;)

Just remember, the band is the boss. Don't believe me? Try eating something like I did and puking slime and shrimp all over the floor. My Dr. said it's like kinking a garden hose and then unhooking it from the house.

Not everyone is alike (duh) but sounds like you just over did it. Chalk up every experience and try to remember what you ate/ were doing when you had problems. Mine is hiccups. I was banded 4/30/07 and got carried away the other day at a restaurant...swallowed a piece of shrimp without chewing fully. I puked in the bathroom four times. Great way to make friends. SLOW DOWN, EAT SLOW, THINK WHAT YOU ARE DOING. I'm guilty, sounds like you are too. Good luck my friend. Airwayman

I got a question... when you puked, did you have to get the band filled or adjusted? How does it feel? Is there any pain?

i am 17 days post op and on mushies. examples are smashed peas mashed potatoes and gravey applesauce sugar ffree low carb you gurt, cottage cheese{ which i top with applesauce} Jello pudding eggs. Thats all i am eating and i get bored but it is worth the battle. Oh and Malto meal. Now, i measure everything out in 2oz cups gladd makes them with lids. so when i cook up my food i sepreate and its ready and in perfect porpotion everytime. I can eat 2-4 oz of something a meal but have a occasional puddding or somehting in the middle, i know snacking is bad but my stomach says " hey lady" iam empty.. do u want me to get loud??lol back off the meat and chew slow, step back to mushies..mash it with your fork!!good luck

I got a question... when you puked, did you have to get the band filled or adjusted? How does it feel? Is there any pain?

The band IS THE BOSS...like martinis, you never win if you over do it. When you "get stuck" yes, it feels like you swallowed a golf ball and you know it in seconds. Yes, it hurts to some degree but pain is not the big underlying problem. Your body is saying "oh *$%^, a part of my body is obstructed (kinked, like a garden hose). Then you begin to burp what seems like saliva, then your mouth begins to salivate. None of this tastes bad, it's not bile from your stomach, you're not sick, just obstructed. Then you get this feeling that you better head for the bathroom....again not a sick stomach, just the feeling that something is coming up and you're not in control. In this scenario, you will probably vomit pieces of food you just swallowed. You may vomit (PB is the polite word which means Productive Burping) several times. DON'T think for one minute you got it all...you probably didn't. DON'T go back and eat more thinking you've cleared the obstruction. Just try to relax and let what's left pass on through. People get stuck on all kinds of stuff, but to me, meat is the number one item to watch out for. And in my case, it's almost always the first few bites! I can't get it through my thick fat head that I must absolutely chew the first couple of small bites. I'm hungry, not thinking, chew some but forget to pulverize it and, whamo, I'm stuck. No, the band doesn't burst, leak or leave for Florida, it just does its job of restricting. This is my two cents, I can't speak for the thousands of others that have had different experiences. Airwayman