Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls (especially around 3 week mark) are so real!!!! They defy logic, can go on for an unreasonable amount of time, and usually have little do with your actions. Just stick with the program and wait for your body to reorient itself.

I needed to hear this thanks everyone

I've been stuck in a stall for a while, but the craziest thing happened in the last few days. All of a sudden my shoes are too big! Imagine even losing fat in your feet! I had to go up a size a couple years ago and thought it was due to age and standing at work all these 38 years, but no, it was excess weight! Give your body time to adjust to the fat loss, who knows? Maybe it results in less loose skin!

Yeah I totally hear that stalls are normal

And some ppl get annoyed at hearing us complain about it. Just sometimes it gets the best of you.

I have a feeling my shoes are gonna get smaller too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I'm sorry if I'm repetitive here but still getting used to these forums and how to navigate. Wanted to introduce myself to this thread -- I was BMI 30/31 when I was sleeved on August 11. I hope (and think?) that puts me in this group? I wanted to let you guys know that it's so helpful to read your successes and struggles...and I hope to be able to return the support in time!

For a little over a week I didn't really lose weight -- I was quite bloated from the IV fluids and I think my body was more like "WHOA there let's heal a minute!" after the double whammy of pre-op (including no Water on surgery day of course) then IV fluids and actual surgery, before pounds started coming off. They're coming off now, in a way that seems consistent with people starting around our BMIs. I admit that except for some walking I haven't been exercising yet, 12 days out. I try for a long walk each day and then I feel just exhausted. Hard to tell if that's from being out of shape or what. I think I'm doing OK getting my nutrients and Protein. Some days the last "batch" of fluids is hard. I'm trying to turn that around -- this morning woke up thirsty and got down 24 oz in a very short (for me) amount of time. Hoping that drinking more in the morning will make it easier to hit goal fluids than trying for some late night insane Water version of a frat house chug-fest.

Sorry to babble! At this early stage I'm so so so glad I did this. I was really in a bad place feeling like I was failing at so many things and just unable to make weight loss work. Now I feel like I own it. I know that stalls are going to freak me out but it helps to know that everyone (or most everyone) has them.

I set a goal weight of where my weight was for most of my adult life...it's much lower than what the nutritionist thinks is my "goal" weight, but I know my frame and well, if I don't hit my personal goal that's fine! I just like seeing it there as something to work towards.

Hi and thanks to everyone here.

@@hats123 Welcome! Anyone who finds support here is always welcome. Fluids can be difficult. I'm 14 months out and still have to remind myself to drink. Don't let anyone other than yourself pick your goal. I thought I'd be thrilled to get to 160, but with just sticking with the plan (mostly), I got down to my fantasy weight of 135. The last 2 pounds took months to come off. Now I'm happily in maintenance and if my body chooses to lose five more, I'd be ok with that too ( I'm 5'6", 54 years old, started at 200 pounds when sleeved in June 2015). Make your own goals and sleeve on!

welcome to the post sleeve group. I don't really have a hard and fast goal weight, but tentatively shooting for 125. I haven't been that low in over 20 years. Since I am just short of being 66 years old, I'm concerned about all the excess skin I'm going to have to deal with afterwards. I'm not a willing work out person either. I don't expect to lose quickly, but as long as I feel good and lose steadily I'll take it. Praying that I find a workout buddy to inspire me. I'm not much for working out alone. Just thought of someone who might be willing to go with me!

@@maggie'smom that's great about the possible workout buddy!

How is everyone doing?

3.5 weeks post op I've just made the transition to mostly foods (purees and mushy, not even real "soft" foods yet) and I am finding myself frightened about exercising self-control. Of course I can't eat a huge quantity at once but I am so worried I will just "graze" and defeat the purpose of this incredible tool. I know it's within my control, and I am so grateful every day for this sleeve...and yet I'm so worried that as options open up to me I will unintentionally sabotage my progress. I don't mean I would do this out of a deep seated need to fail, or other deep psychological reason.

I just mean I fear slipping into new versions of my old habits. And it makes me want to run back to the safe, if somewhat monotonous world of shakes and Powerade zero. And the ridiculous part is that I have this fear despite being motivated by the numbers ticking down on the scale! Anyone been there?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@hats123 hang in there and don't doubt yourself. If you choose to defeat your tool, you can do it; so it's best to use these first six months to learn new habits. As you get further and further out you will be able to eat a lot more than you think. But if you train yourself, you won't want to. The hunger--for me--hasn't returned, but habits do. Don't graze. Eat structured small meals and Snacks. At 15 months out, I occasionally indulge in treats and I allow myself to eat good carbs, because too much restriction backfires on me. I reached goal (22 BMI) around seven months out and have held steady. I eat like a "normal" thin person and no one questions how and what I eat (I've kept my WLS mostly private). Thin people eat carbs and occasionally share a dessert. I'm choosing to be thin. Good luck on your journey, and don't let your brain defeat your body.

@@hats123 I have the same fears! I am three weeks out and have been cleared to ear real

food for a week now - I feel like I am

One of the few that can eat food so early- but am

Thinking about going back to Soft as most Things I am

Eating hurt my stomach. Currently I can eat so little that I don't have much fears about over eating ( yesterday's lunch was two bites of a salad and one very tiny bite of a sandhwich) but I do worry about grazing. Since I eat so little I tell

Myself I can have one bite whenever . But I am trying to give myself a little Learning time

And grace to figure this thing out ....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks guys. @@sleevenv thank you -- that's excellent advice, to use this time to learn new habits. I am determined to make the most of this and NOT to throw away this chance and everything it means (money spent, risk of surgery undertaken, a real chance to improve my health and appearance like no chance I've ever had). I think I was just shocked, really rattled, to feel even the slightest craving to go back to old habits. It came out of (seemingly) nowhere and I had a really scared reaction -- like oh no, if I have this feeling it will control me. And THAT's a big part of what I have to teach myself and remind myself: h*** no, an "old" feeling does not have to control me or to mean defeat. Not to mention the fact that -- at least at this point -- those cravings are about 100x easier to control than in the past.

At almost 4 weeks out I know it's very early days, and every day I feel like I'm learning something new about post-surgery life and sustenance. And man, do I feel grateful for this powerful powerful tool in the battle for control over my own body and health. It's just incredible.

@@pnt38 Hi, I was sleeved a month ago as well (August 11) and was self-pay as well (you'll find lots of others on these boards who were, too). I'm juuuuust slowly coming out of a two-week stall and have been discouraged and worried at times. But when I look at the big picture I am reminded of how much progress ANY progress is. If I lose 4 pounds this month, that's 4 that I didn't gain, and it's 4 more than I lost any time recently!

If you started at a lower BMI -- in the low/mid thirties -- like most of us in this thread, you'll see it's common to lose more slowly than some who started out with more to lose. And you'll read over and over that it's different for everyone. Also, one thing about the very beginning (veterans: first month or two?) is that your body *really* is recovering from a major intervention. For me, this meant that I didn't see the scale move at all for a week or ten days or something. I was bloated from the IV fluids and I also think my body was like, "EXCUSE me, can I heal a minute please?"

That said, of course some people who only have, say, 50 pounds to lose will lose it really quickly. It's exciting to read their stories but it's also hard when you're not seeing the scale or your measurements move. The excellent advice you'll find here is generally:

- are you meeting your Protein and liquid intake goals/guidelines?

- if you don't have a defined eating/drinking plan, can you make an appointment with a nutritionist knowledgeable about bariatric surgery?

- are you moving your body -- walking for example?

- put in a call to your surgeon and to your nutritionist if you have one.

- stick with the program.

Sometimes you will get more tailored advice, to increase your Protein, increase or decrease your calories, etc. But at such an early stage post op you'll usually be advised to check in with your professionals (or find one if you don't have a post-op team), to get that protein, hydration, and physical movement, and to be patient -- even to the point of staying off the scale -- remembering what your body has been through and that your body is different from anyone else's.

Hang in there. I really know the feeling. Congrats on your surgery and good luck to you!