Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Larger than expected incision

I had my surgery on 4.25.07 and it was preformed laproscopically. After surgery my dr. came into my room and looked really surprised with how well I was doing after such a short time. He said my surgery went beautifully with no complications and that he was sending me home. I had surgery around 8am and was home (I live 1/2 hr away from hospital) by 5pm.

After a few days, I asked my sister who is a nurse to change my bandages. She removed the last one and asked me why they had to make a larger incision? I had no idea what she was talking about. I've had laproscopic surgery before and imagine my surprise when I looked in the mirror and see the 5 small incisions (1 inch or less) and one that was over 4 inches.

The dr. never even mentioned to me that he had made a larger incision. It may have explained why I was in more pain on my left side than I had expected and I probably would have opted not to go back after 4 days off from work.

I have tried numerous times to get an explanation from my drs. as to why the larger incision? They keep acting as though it is completely normal, as though they cut all their patients in such a way. No one ever mentioned the larger incision before surgery. One of the drs. on the surgerical team told me that some times they have to cut a little longer to place the port. But again, he didn't act like my incision was abnormal. Everyone else I know who has had the lap band surgery is shocked when I show them the incision. None of them have one so large.

Regardless of whether they had to do it or not, I still think that the Dr. should have mentioned the larger incision to me before I left the hospital. Its been almost 2 mos. and that area is still really tender. It was really uncomfortable when they were feeling around for the port for my first band fill. Has anyone else had to have a larger incision at their port site?

Hi soulsis,

I think it is normal for the port incision to be significantly larger than the other incisions. 4 inches does seem like a large incision, but if your doctors don't seem concerned, I wouldn't be. They probably just needed the extra room and I'm sure some if it also depends on what type of port you have. I have an AP band and small profile port. My port incision is about 2.5 inches long and my other incisions are about a half an inch to an inch. But since you brought it up, it would be interesting to hear about the port incision size of others.

Shauna

My port incision is 3.5 inches long, that's pretty common. There is a scare stages post with hundreds of scare pictures. I have a regualr original port. ~Mandy

I do know what you are saying though... it would have been nice if you were told. I believe that surgeons go in with one thought in mind... how to safely put the lapband in. I wasn't told the incision would be large, I thought 1/2 inch. (Yes, now I know that 3 - 4 inches is normal) I wasn't told that he was going to use the new AP band till after. I know everyone wants to be informed.... but, sometimes I don't think the doctors know they didn't say something about it. He may have thought you were prepared for that size incision. I know I wasn't... but, I'm sure others are. How many meetings did you have prior to your surgery?

hi Soulsis,i am considering to have this kind or surgery but i am scared of how it will look after.Do u have any pictures?How does it look now?Do u have scars?I've heard from a friend that the 5 incision will heal and it will leave no scar.Please help me and tell me how it looks now.

Anyone else have a picture with her/him after the surgery?