Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning the Process of getting a revision and scared of being a failure again!

I just started a program working towards a revision surgery from band to bypass. I'm so scared I'm going to fail again. I initially lost about 30 pounds with the band but have gained all of it back. I know I failed for lots of reasons. Basically, I can't eat a lot of dense Protein without getting majorly stuck and throwing up, when I do just a little I never feel satisfied, sometimes I can eat everything under the sun, and I have general issues with overeating. I'm going to a counselor to help me find coping mechanisms that don't involve food, so that's definitely something different than when I had the lapband. I also didn't loose very much or very fast with the lapbad, so it was hard to stay motivated to keep dieting. I'm committed to making life changes with the bypass, but I'm so nervous that I'll just fail again. I don't even want to tell anyone about this surgery until I'm actually successful. It's too embarrassing to fail twice! Anyone else have these thoughts?

You didn't fail the surgery, the surgery failed you. I tried to make things work with my band for over 10 years. I lost 90 lbs initially, but that was due to initial swelling and the fact that I am very good at "dieting" but not good at maintaining. I converted to bypass 6 months ago and it is a completely different ballgame. I can eat dense Protein and it fills me up. I stop eating because I want to and not because I have to. Don't blame yourself. We have a disease. The treatment was faulty, but there are better options! Hang in there!

I had gastroplasty 22 years ago, which is almost the same as band. I am having a revision to bypass in 3 weeks. I lost a lot of weight and have only gained about 35 back but I am fat still so I don't consider it a success. My mesh has eroded and I can eat some things but not others. It seems like my stomach handles junk food just fine and rejects healthy meals. It is really weird but I get lots of reflux and major stomach issues.

I am excited about the revision too but I also feel like I will be a failure again. Trying to stay positive. It is a new lease on life!! And health!!

It usually takes some time before you start losing with a lap band because you have to wait to get enough fills put in... With bypass you lose weight at first but then it slows down (it is slower for us with a revision). You need to remember it's just a tool. You will not be successful unless you have good choices in food and exercise. It is easy to get full on lower calorie foods and not eat much, that is the plus! I love sweets (ice cream) but it makes me feel horrible (headache, tiredness, dumping) so I choose not to eat them or foods with high fats. If I do eat the higher calorie foods the weight stays on. It will work but it will be up to you. You are not a failure! Dig deep and find your determination.

I just started a program working towards a revision surgery from band to bypass. I'm so scared I'm going to fail again. I initially lost about 30 pounds with the band but have gained all of it back. I know I failed for lots of reasons. Basically, I can't eat a lot of dense Protein without getting majorly stuck and throwing up, when I do just a little I never feel satisfied, sometimes I can eat everything under the sun, and I have general issues with overeating. I'm going to a counselor to help me find coping mechanisms that don't involve food, so that's definitely something different than when I had the lapband. I also didn't loose very much or very fast with the lapbad, so it was hard to stay motivated to keep dieting. I'm committed to making life changes with the bypass, but I'm so nervous that I'll just fail again. I don't even want to tell anyone about this surgery until I'm actually successful. It's too embarrassing to fail twice! Anyone else have these thoughts?

Yes, I feel the very same. I lost over 40 pounds with my lap band and within the last 7 years have gained it all back plus 60 more...... 300 Lbs now. I have made myself hybernate in my home and not go out. I may go to the grocery store once in a while but my hubby goes more than I these days. I can make a "good" list for him and he sticks to it. Also, not tempted to go my Chick Fla and get a vanilla shake..... I go out only when needed. Moved back to home town before Christmas and do not want everyone to see how big I have gotten. My husband has been kind but is not getting tired of me not going enywhere with him. Called my insurance company to start process of getting conversion to gastric bypass and found out they will not allow me to go back to my original band doctor, who I love and trust. I live in southern DE and have to go to New Jersey to have my conversion by a doctor I do not know. Have my consultation with him on Thusday this coming week. Did I say I am an OR nurse (retired) who wants to know her doctors reputations before she allows them to operated on her, especially something to serious as the lap band to gastric bypass?? So yes I am scared to death. I have been looking all over the internet to check this doctor out and so far only see good things about him. When are you having your procedure? Would love to have a buddy to chat with...... God bless and good luck, Susan

Edited by Susan626

Thank you for everyone's response! It's good to know i'm not alone. Susan, I hope that your consultation goes well. Mine is two weeks from now. Maybe we can be each other's support group? How do we do a buddy chat?

I am a revision from band to bypass and honestly bypass for me has been soooo much easier than the band ever was. I am below my goal weight and loving life!!! Good luck!

You didn't fail the surgery, the surgery failed you. I tried to make things work with my band for over 10 years. I lost 90 lbs initially, but that was due to initial swelling and the fact that I am very good at "dieting" but not good at maintaining. I converted to bypass 6 months ago and it is a completely different ballgame. I can eat dense Protein and it fills me up. I stop eating because I want to and not because I have to. Don't blame yourself. We have a disease. The treatment was faulty, but there are better options! Hang in there!

Notinks,

Just read your post and I have had my lap band for 7 years and was wondering if the length of time you have had your band increase the complication rate of the conversion to Gastric bypass?? I am wondering about weakened esophagus tissue where the band was...... Did your doctor mention anything about this pre-op for you? Did you have your lap band removed separately from your gastric bypass? If so, how long between the two surgeries?

Thanks so much. Wish my surgery was behind me, but know all will be worth it!

@@Susan626 My dr. didn't mention having any concern about the length of time I had the band. I know for some, there has been a lot of scar tissue built up, but that wasn't the case for me. No, he didn't mention a possible weakened esophagus. I had it done in one surgery. I didn't want to have to recover from two and wasn't sure my insurance would pay for two. I am soooo much happier without the band!

Notinks,

Just read your post and I have had my lap band for 7 years and was wondering if the length of time you have had your band increase the complication rate of the conversion to Gastric bypass?? I am wondering about weakened esophagus tissue where the band was...... Did your doctor mention anything about this pre-op for you? Did you have your lap band removed separately from your gastric bypass? If so, how long between the two surgeries?

I had mine for 7 years before it eroded.. Had was revised in one surgery.. Easiest surgery I ever had honestly.. No complications..

I am a revision from band to bypass and honestly bypass for me has been soooo much easier than the band ever was. I am below my goal weight and loving life!!! Good luck!

What was your start weight and what are you at now? How long did it take you? Did you have to exercise a lot. Sorry for all the questions. I am 1 month pre op and asking away :)

Hey Susan,

I had my lapband for 8 years. Started having trouble the last 3 years. I finally got up the courage to go back to the doctor in May this year. Turned out the band was too tight and I had a dilated esophagus. My doctor unfilled the band on my first appointment and told me I needed to wait 30 days to see if the swelling would go down. He told me if the esophagus returned to normal in 30 days that I could have revision surgery right away.

Everything moved very quickly. The esophagus returned to normal and I ended up having revision surgery by the end of July. The lapband came out, a hernia was fixed, and the RnY was performed all at the same time. There was some swelling and scarring where the lapband was attached, but otherwise the surgery went well. The surgery took about 3 hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days.

The surgery was more difficult to recover from than the lapband...mainly due to the length of time I was under. Gas pain was the main issue that caused me discomfort.

It's been 2 1/2 months since the revision and I feel great. I've had no complications and it's way easier to eat healthy now.

What was your start weight and what are you at now? How long did it take you? Did you have to exercise a lot. Sorry for all the questions. I am 1 month pre op and asking away :)

I had to gain weight for my revision.. So I was 245 day of revision. I got down to 156. I now fluctuate because I love White Russians lol I never exercised. Took 9-10 months.

I am scared too. My revision is next week. I would guess most of us who are doing a revision are scared of failure. How could we not be? But it is also exciting because it does have a higher success rate and gives us a better tool with which to lose weight.