Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Marina Kurian - Dr. Marina Kurian - NYU

I was banded almost 1 year ago by Dr. Marina Kurian (LOVE HER) from Lenox Hill Hospital's Bariatric program.

Dr. Kurian has just left Lenox Hill to join NYU's practice with Dr. Fielding and Dr. Ren. I have my first appointment at her NYU office at the end of this month.

I have heard mixed reviews about the NYU office staff and was looking for feedback. I do know that while I was still researching surgeons, I had an extremely tough time setting up a consult appointment with Dr. Fielding or Dr. Ren. Perhaps it was because I wasn't an actual patient yet?

Anyway, what have your experiences with NYU's office staff been like?

Also, has anyone else been banded by Dr. Kurian (again, LOVE HER!!!), and will you be folowing her to NYU or staying with the staff at Lenox Hill?

I totally agree with you, and I've already followed her over to NYU. Facilities are not as nice, but I'm not concerned about the decor.

I was banded a year and a half ago by Dr. Kurian. I LOVE her too and I will be following her to NYU. My first appointment with her there is next Wed, 6/27. I didn't have a problem getting an appointment with her. I'm hoping that she operates the same way she did at her last practice. She was very conscious of not letting her patients wait long to see her. I did find out that she usually ends her day at 2 or 2:30 the office said and she changed the days she's in the office seeing patients from her last practice. I think it will work out though. This practice also has offices in other places like Westchester where I live so I'm hoping she'll see patients there. It will be so much more convenient. Let us know what you're experience is like when you go.

My appointment is for this Tuesday, 6/26. I have to call to make sure her old office forwarded my medical records though. I faxed them on Thursday, asking them to forward my records at their earliest convenience. I called on Friday to verify they received my fax and was not met with the friendliest of office staff. They were always more than pleasant when I was a patient there though... Sad commentary IMO, but perhaps that means the NYU staff will be pleasant now that I am actually a patient , lol.

I went for my first appointment with Dr. Kurian at the NYU office on 6/26/07. Yes, the NYU office is certainly not as glamorous as her office back with Lenox Hill, but it's the doctor and the care that I am most concerned about.

I found the NYU staff to be friendly, but I am a little nervous now. When I had my surgery with Dr. Kurian @ Lenox Hill, I was aware that they were not a participating provider, but was told that a flat rate deal was being worked out between the two and that basically I would not have to worry about the remainder of the 80/20 balance. While visiting at the Lenox Hill office, I never once was asked to pay anything upfront. I simply submitted the insurance check to the office and they accepted whatever it happened to be.

Upon leaving NYU I was asked to pay $100 for the visit upfront. While totally understandable, I wasn't expecting it. Because $$$ is extremely tight theses days, I am now nervous about being able to afford follow-up care on a regular basis. I have to travel from Orange County (about 1 1/2 hrs.) and spend $ for gas, tolls, and parking, and don't know if the pocket book will afford me to much else every 4-5 weeks if I have to lay out $100 at the office every time.

Perhaps if she will eventually see patients in the Orange/Rockland offices it will be a little more feasible, but untill then, who knows. I hope the office they are sending me to for the esophogram in a few weeks accepts my insurance... I can only imagine what that will cost me!!!!

:cool2:hi there,

dr kurian is going to be doing my surgery 7/17/08...the staff is really great and they have been attentive to all my needs. they are about following their procedures i wasnt able to set up a conselltation with anyone until i went to a seminar. everything is well worth it. Everyone there is really nice!

Hi Jean:smile2:; Dr Kurien is doing my lap band tomorrow 6/12/08. I am so nervous, kind of like I feel when I am going on vacation and I have to fly. I get so nervous thinking about it, but I know when I get there I will be happy and say that wasnt so bad. I hope everything goes well for you too. Dr Kurien is a great doctor, we are in great hands, I know. The office staff is great, the only problem I had the last minute was I had to get pulmonary clearance, which I did. All they told me was I need to sign a release when I went for pre-addmission testing and they would send all test results to my primary. She sent the clearance back right away, but then the office informed me I needed cardio and pulmonary clearance as well. I had already had a stress test and the whole nine yards, but never to a pulmonologist. Although I think it was my doctor who insisted on it, I went and got my clearance and my cardio doc sent them a clearance letter as well. Monica at the office called me yesterday and told me its a go. Now I am trying to focus at work but I am on pins and needles! Hope to hear from you. Good luck,

Joanne

I had surgery with dr Kurian on September 08. She was the best. So nice. I love to go in for a fill cuz I love to talk to her.

ANy questions ask me........

I was banded by Dr. Kurian August 6, 2009 - she is the best. She was recommended by my endocrinologist.

Any questions - feel free to ask.

I will be banded by Dr.Kurian on Nov. 10th! During my first visit with her 8 months ago, she made me feel so comfortable. I hope everything goes well with the surgery.

I just had surgery yesterday. Dr. Kurian and all the NYU staff were the BEST!! They made me feel so comfortable.

Good luck New Jill!! Keep us posted!

I was banded by kurian at nyu 12/21/10

shes nice.

Hi everyone!

Is someone willing to tell me how much the surgery was with Dr. Kurian? Is it more $$$$ with self pay than insurance?

Thanks!