Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger Pain or Band Pain ?

Hello I am newly banded just 4 days ago, I am just trying to figure out if the pain I have is hunger or from the band. I had severe gas pain which is now comming out thank goodness. I have a wrenching pain right just below my rib cage, it is hard to explain, I am thinking it must be from the band settling into place. Sometimes I feel very nausiated when the feeling comes almost like severe hunger pains but yet I dont have much appitite just Protein Shakes and liquids. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this pain that I am talking about ? I guess its hard to explain, it feels kind of like major hunger but different. I appreciate your posts it helps me so much to understand the band better. Thank you

Kim

Hi there. I was banded on May 29. I had several different kinds of pain. Yours sounds like gas pain. I just started feeling hunger yesterday. It was not as painful as what you are describing. You are just out of surgery and can expect to feel different pains. If you are worried, call your Dr. You will feel better and rest easier. You will feel like a new person one week from now!! Rest and heal. Good luck!

i think they are a mix of both. i had those same pains and when i had some to drink of eat (applesauce) it helped.. but those pains went away eventually i think its just foriegn object inside your body that the stoch muscles need to get used to:) if you have any other questions feel free to message me.. im not an expert at his but i know a lot :) (too much online research)

HI,

Welcome to lap band land....I had some gas right after my surgery....however, two weeks out I had a bad pain develope on my right side....after seeing my PA, he said it was just gas pain...not too worry.

If you do not feel better soon....contact your doctor.

I know exactly what you are talking about! I experienced the same thing early on, and after I had a little snack, it helped. Just recently, I felt like I had stretched my pouch(by overeating), so I was trying to stay on liquids the next day, to allow it to go back to normal. I did okay for the first part of the day, but by about 4:00 I had that exact pain. It was horrible! I couldn't stand it, so I had a small Wendy's chili, and it went away. I would try having a small snack and see if that helps.

I am also 4 days out and have had a lot of epigastric pain, my surgeon said that I am expecting too much too soon and I need to use the pain meds and rest, something I dont do well, I was thinking that I would go back to work on Monday but I think they will just have to live without me another week. I feeli a cramping pain with mild nausea around the pain, I am passing huge amounts of gas, my family is digusted but I am relieved, hang in there we can do it! Jo Anne :girl_hug:

I was banded last Wednesday and I feel that mysterious pain as well, mine comes with much stomach growling and complaining though.

Hello I am newly banded just 4 days ago, I am just trying to figure out if the pain I have is hunger or from the band. I had severe gas pain which is now comming out thank goodness. I have a wrenching pain right just below my rib cage, it is hard to explain, I am thinking it must be from the band settling into place. Sometimes I feel very nausiated when the feeling comes almost like severe hunger pains but yet I dont have much appitite just Protein Shakes and liquids. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this pain that I am talking about ? I guess its hard to explain, it feels kind of like major hunger but different. I appreciate your posts it helps me so much to understand the band better. Thank you

Kim

Kim, when you say it's just below your rib cage are you referring to below your xiphoid (breastbone)? I'm sure you're still experiencing post-op pain and gas, but if it persists it may be the band resting against your diaphragm. I've referred to it as feeling like I swallowed a brick. I've experienced this off and on since I was banded on 5/16 and that was my doc's explanation. Since I spoke to him I've been to a support group meeting and several other folks have experienced the same thing. I was assured that it does pass...

joanne1970: dont feel bad at least you can take the pain meds when i had the surgery my stomach was extra sensitive to the pain medication and i was throwing up like crazy ended up going bck to the hospital for dehydration but everything is good now and i love it.

well Jeni I needed those words seems we have had the stomach flu we meaning me and my 12 yr old, this also brought me to the hospital for hydration, I still dont feel great but I do feel better, wishing I could have a scrambled egg, go figure that one, I havent been able to stomach the Protein Shakes in a couple of days. I am glad that it gets better. Thanks!

yes, i had the lap band about 2 months ago and yes! i have had all that gas pain i had it in my shoulder for a long time and sometimes still get it . this surgery is very hard for me at least. i cant say that i am really happy i got this. i was sooo excited that i got the surgery before i got it, but now that i have experienced all the cons i am wondering if i made the right decision... tell me what u think about this maybe we can help eachother.

JUst keep taking the liquid vicodin and walking , I took small walks to get rid of that gass pain, oohh it was bad I feel your pain. At day 10 I woke up and felt soooooo good. It will get better

I was looking back at previous posts and found this , thought I would say that I am on day 10 and the gas pain is so intense, I am shocked I thought it would be better and yes I do have a pain just below my breast bone, it hurts. I went to the Dr today to have my stiches removed, the only one at the office was the surgen that does gastric bypass and he didnt seem very concerned but I dont see much on the boards about gas pain that far after surgery. Thanks for the replys

Kim

I AM 1 week out from surgery,I have been experiencing the same pain,I found that if I take some liquid tylenol and then eat a little something I feel ok, I have been living on scrambled eggs, oatmeal and slimfast Protein Shakes.< /p>