Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thyroid vs weight stall

I had RNY on 11/6/14. I'm down 69 lbs. Four weeks ago my endocrinologist cut my Levothyroxine from 250 to 125 daily. I have Hashimotos disease, so my thyroid is completely inert. I'm moody, tired, and not losing weight. I'm afraid I'm going from slight hyperthyroidism to hypothyroidism. Anyone else experience this?

Get those levels checked. I don't think they should have cut it that much. I think there is a 200. My Dr slowly goes up or down with mine. Never that much at one time. That's just my opinion.

Sorry you are going through this. I was hyper thyroid and went to hypo thyroid so they changed my meds but only by a 25mcg and I make them check it every month to see if I'm on track don't wait. However, I think it is why I have stalled in my weight loss no loss or gain for 3months :(

Wow! That's half your previous dose! I also have Hashimotos and my endocrinologist cut me from an alternating 150/175 dose to 137. As I lose he will likely continue to lower it.

He said if I start to feel symptoms of going hyper, to call immediately so he can test and adjust immediately.

All I can think is maybe you were lowered that much in anticipation of continued weight loss. But it sounds like you are now massively hypothyroid again. ???? I would for sure get in touch with your doctor!

I would definately go back to the endocrinologist and make them double check. That is an awful big drop in your dose. I have had hypothyroidism since I was in my early 20s. After dropping my first 30lbs I had to go from 150 to 137. I just had it rechecked last week to rule out if I was still getting too much because I am losing a lot of hair. We confirmed twice now that my dose is right. My endocrinologist is checking me about every 8 weeks now.

I am having another TSH and T4 level drawn today. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I guessed correctly. My TSH went from 0.04 in February to 5.80 today. Holy heck. My doctors are going to adjust my dosage.

I guessed correctly. My TSH went from 0.04 in February to 5.80 today. Holy heck. My doctors are going to adjust my dosage.

Yikes! No wonder you are feeling awful ????! Just shows that we really know our own bodies more than docs sometimes. I think this is especially true for bariatric patients.

Glad you got retested. You will feel so much better when they get it properly adjusted. ☺️

After a few calls to my endocrinologist, I finally got across to her that I need a higher Synthroid dosage. I am starting 200mcg daily, as of tomorrow. This is up from 125 daily. I pray it helps!

Me too. My doc dropped me from 175 to 150. Weight loss seems to have stopped. Also, I'm freezing all the time, so I think it can't be right. So I get retested, and there it is. In the normal range. five months out and I'm stuck. Surgical team says your thyroid shrinks and requires less. Who knew?

I have been really struggling. I had lost from 232 (Jan 2013) down to 154 in 1 year. Then no weight loss last year. And suddenly in the past 3 months I've gained 15 pounds. The endo doc had switched me from synthroid to Armour Thyroid. Reg doc just tested and said my TSH was .005. He is going to give me 60 Armour and 90 synthroid combination. I'm praying this helps my weight loss back on track.

Hi, my name is Lisa. I am new to my journey. I also have had Graves Disease, treated Radioactive Iodine in 2002. At first 7 years or so, it was such a roller coaster between doses. Then I became pregnant with my daughter in 2003 and things really went haywire. With the help of an awesome endocrinologist, i have been pretty stable with my levels and Synthroid doses. I am concerned about ending up hypothyroidism after surgery. Thus the yo-yo effect with my levels and doses. I meet with my endocrinologist next month so that we can discuss after surgery concerns. I'm very happy to see this post and read everyone elses experience.

Thanks everyone!!*