Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard from many sources that sleeves can stretch. I don't know for certain, but I was told by my RN that carbonation is never allowed again because it can stretch the sleeve. It's the only thing they said I have to cut out permanently. I've seen experiments on the discovery channel where they put carbonation in a pigs stomach (not attached, after being butchered) and they blew up like a balloon. Makes sense the membrane can stretch over time if blown up too frequently. But I don't know it as fact.

Yup! I have no doubt that pig's stomach stretched just like ours did at our biggest sizes. :)

When we have VST, most of the stretchy part (the fundus) is cut out, leaving the muscle with a small bit of fundus attached (varies by surgeon). So while there is still some stretchy bit left, the muscle does not, so there is very little room for "growth". It would take a whole lotta' consistent overeating to stretch out the little fundus that is left behind. I consulted three different surgeons before my procedure, and all three were consistent on this one fact so I am going to go with it as it makes sense.

Before, my stomach was the size of a football. If I had tried, I probably could have eaten an entire Chipotle burrito, some chips and a drink (COKE ZERO!!). Now, I can barely manage 1/2 cup-3/4 cup of food in a sitting. I can't drink for about 45 minutes to an hour after or I will vomit. My surgeon told me pre-op that most sleeves he does top out at 2 cups max. At my 1 year appointment post op, he told me I had most likely hit my max (see above) and I would have to work really hard to eat much more. My two year date is in May and so far, he's been correct. :)

Well so I'm guessing nevert lol. Yea I too was told never again should I consider it. I hear people are able to which is their choice but the carbonation can cause sleeve stretching if done over long periods of time.

Sleeves don't stretch. They will relax over time from the initial surgery, but it's not because of soda or carbonation. :)
I've heard from many sources that sleeves can stretch. I don't know for certain, but I was told by my RN that carbonation is never allowed again because it can stretch the sleeve. It's the only thing they said I have to cut out permanently. I've seen experiments on the discovery channel where they put carbonation in a pigs stomach (not attached, after being butchered) and they blew up like a balloon. Makes sense the membrane can stretch over time if blown up too frequently. But I don't know it as fact.

You are absolutely right. My multiple doctors told me the same thing. An occasional sip will not have a huge impact. But for those sleevers who drink soda often it will impact their sleeve. But some folks have a sip and go yay I can tolerate soda, which means I can drink it every day.. Before surgery, I could tolerate BBQ ribs doesn't mean I should have it every day. The toleration of bad food/drinks will hurt some folks.

Just curious. How far out are you surgically? :)

Well so I'm guessing nevert lol. Yea I too was told never again should I consider it. I hear people are able to which is their choice but the carbonation can cause sleeve stretching if done over long periods of time.

Sleeves don't stretch. They will relax over time from the initial surgery, but it's not because of soda or carbonation. :)
You are absolutely right. My multiple doctors told me the same thing. An occasional sip will not have a huge impact. But for those sleevers who drink soda often it will impact their sleeve. But some folks have a sip and go yay I can tolerate soda, which means I can drink it every day.. Before surgery, I could tolerate BBQ ribs doesn't mean I should have it every day. The toleration of bad food/drinks will hurt some folks.

I'm only quoting my surgeons honey. But you are a whole 24 months in so you know best.

I'm only quoting my surgeons honey. But you are a whole 24 months in so you know best.

Goodness, no, not at all. I'm only an expert on ME and my experiences. I, too, am only quoting my surgeons and my experienced along the way.

Oh, and please, no need to call me "honey". It sounds so condescending and I'm sure you don't mean it that way. ;)

So, you aren't interesting in telling me how long ago you had your surgery? Fair enough. :)

Goodness, no, not at all. I'm only an expert on ME and my experiences. I, too, am only quoting my surgeons and my experienced along the way.

Oh, and please, no need to call me "honey". It sounds so condescending and I'm sure you don't mean it that way. ;)

So, you aren't interesting in telling me how long ago you had your surgery? Fair enough. :)

Ok Hun :)

Have a good night.

Have a good night.

Ahhh....choosing to stick with being condescending? That's fine. No skin off my nose. ;)

I've no doubt that if you are THIS much of an expert at only two weeks out, you are going to be wildly successful. It's an interesting journey, for sure, and I was definitely surprised at how much my mindset evolved as the months went by, but I'm sure your story will differ greatly from mine.

Best of luck to you! I'm looking forward to hearing great things from you.

Have a good night.

Ahhh....choosing to stick with being condescending? That's fine. No skin off my nose. ;)

I've no doubt that if you are THIS much of an expert at only two weeks out, you are going to be wildly successful. It's an interesting journey, for sure, and I was definitely surprised at how much my mindset evolved as the months went by, but I'm sure your story will differ greatly from mine.

See I told you at 24 months you know it all.

Have a good night.

See I told you at 24 months you know it all.

Oh, you got me! ;):D

Thanks Lipstick Lady, that's some great information about the technical aspects of it. And what you say makes total sense about the fundus and the muscle. I'm not sure who is correct, I'm going to have to ask specifically about this at my next appointment. Not that it matters too much, I don't plan on drinking carbonation either way, but it's still nice to be armed with the truth.

For me, I think I'm able to eat a little more than some, so I'm extra careful not to be unhealthy. I have never vomited since getting sleeved and can SLOWLY eat 4oz of meet and a half cup of steamed veggies without discomfort. Eating quickly or any more than that and it doesn't feel good.

Anyway, thanks, I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that thinking through the topic with the information I had at the time, it didn't make much sense. I always appreciate additional information.

No worries, Eli! I'm certainly not saying I'm right. I can only speak from my experience, the advice I was given by multiple surgeons and the experiences of friends who went through this procedure before me.

As I stated before, I am only an expert on ME. I can't eat an entire cup at a sitting. I drink carbonation regularly. I was given no restrictions on caffeine after 6 weeks. So far, I've been successful. I hope everyone else is as well, no matter what path they choose to take. :)

Well I'm hoping you are correct because it removes a worry from my mind. I don't know anyone personally who has been sleeved, only banded, and they ate more and more till now they have gained back 75% of what they lost. I worry my stomach will grow, but if it doesn't then it would be difficult for me to put on much weight since most of ,y cravings are for healthy is foods anyway.

I think there are many doctors who tell their patients white lies or worst case scenarios because they don't trust their patients to use common sense. It makes trusting their words on when to exercise, eat certain foods, drink alcohol, take NSAIDs and all sorts of other things difficult to discern. For example my surgeon told me I could exercise as much as I wanted from day one as long as I can handle the pain. I asked why other doctors say none for two or four weeks, or limit types of exercise for months. He said that a lot of surgeons don't like to deal with patients complaining and not understanding the differences between pain resulting from exercise and more dangerous pains that need to be attended to, so the easiest thing for them to do to reduce complaints and worries, is to just tell patients not to exercise till the surgical pains are gone.

Anyway, it was my RN, not my surgeon who told me about carbonation and stomach stretching, and I don't really like her at all. I like and really respect my surgeon, so I'll ask him directly next time I see him.

I was told no. Because of the lack of expansion of the sleeve has ( soda bubbles and gas)

I do want ginger ale when im feeling sick :(

Well I'm hoping you are correct because it removes a worry from my mind. I don't know anyone personally who has been sleeved, only banded, and they ate more and more till now they have gained back 75% of what they lost. I worry my stomach will grow, but if it doesn't then it would be difficult for me to put on much weight since most of ,y cravings are for healthy is foods anyway.

I think there are many doctors who tell their patients white lies or worst case scenarios because they don't trust their patients to use common sense. It makes trusting their words on when to exercise, eat certain foods, drink alcohol, take NSAIDs and all sorts of other things difficult to discern. For example my surgeon told me I could exercise as much as I wanted from day one as long as I can handle the pain. I asked why other doctors say none for two or four weeks, or limit types of exercise for months. He said that a lot of surgeons don't like to deal with patients complaining and not understanding the differences between pain resulting from exercise and more dangerous pains that need to be attended to, so the easiest thing for them to do to reduce complaints and worries, is to just tell patients not to exercise till the surgical pains are gone.

Anyway, it was my RN, not my surgeon who told me about carbonation and stomach stretching, and I don't really like her at all. I like and really respect my surgeon, so I'll ask him directly next time I see him.

I agree with you. My doctor's rules "relaxed" a whole lot when I proved to him that I could stick to my pre-op diet (I did it for a month instead of the prescribed two weeks) and then lost 90% of my weight my first 6 months post op.

I, too, was allowed to exercise from day 1, I just couldn't swim (open sutures) or kickbox (risking a kick to the stomach).

My big clue into some of the fallacies of our diets were when we were told no caffeine, straws, or chewing gum ever again but then told we could have one 8oz cup of regular coffee a day from day 3 on, use sports bottles (that utilized straws) and chew gum if we felt hungry when we shouldn't. I questioned the contradictions and my surgeon and his NP said to use discretion after seeing how they affected us. (I still can't chew gum. I swallow too much air and it's uncomfortable.)

Air will NOT make your stomach stretch. Carbonation is just air. Overeating constantly and to the point of discomfort will stretch the fundus that is left. I can drink carbonation (through a straw) because I pour it over crushed ice, stir it a bit and lose most of the carbonation. If it is TOO carbonated, it makes me burp and that's uncomfortable so I stir it a bit more or I don't drink it. It's not rocket science. :D

But again, I am NOT telling ANYONE here to go against their better judgement or their doctor's orders. I am saying to check with him/her and make decisions you feel are right for you. Diet soda is not a trigger for me. I can pour one a day and sip on it. Sometimes I finish it, sometimes I don't. Many days I have NONE, some days I have (gasp) TWO. Plain Water makes me nauseated so I get most of my fluids in via coffee, diet soda and liquor (KIDDING!!).

Do what's best for you. But don't do it until you are far enough out that you have it figured out. Your path will twist and turn. What works for you today may not work next month and vice versa. I followed a friend who had VST a year before me. We vacationed together twice post op to Jamaica and Las Vegas. I stayed a week at her house, she stayed a week at mine. Not only because I love her, but I wanted to see various stages of her life post op. What she can tolerate and what I can tolerate are totally different. She is four years out and has no regain. I am only two years out and have a 5 pound "bounce" range. When I hit the top, I go back to all Protein for a few days and lose it. For the first time, I am TRULY in control of ME and I love it.

Stop worrying and just do. You can do this. If I can, anyone can.

I was never a big soda drinker anyway. Now when my husband is drinking root beer (my favorite) I will have a few sips. I enjoy it and no ill effects. It seems to me that there is a tremendous variability in what everyone can and can't eat and/or drink. It is pretty amazing to me at hour our bodies react differently to the same basic surgery. I have been lucky- so far, I can eat and drink anything I want and my tastebuds have not changed at all.