Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do ?

So here is the short version of my story. Banded 2007 did great lost weight kept it off, decided to revise to sleeve in 2013 because of how "great" everyone said it was and also honestly I was tired of feeling stuck for 6 years and just wanted to feel full for once. Since my revision Iv gained 10lbs, Iv felt hungrier (physically) than I ever did with the band (my stomach actually growls now !) and I can eat very large portions. Iv checked my X-rays and I know my sleeve is much larger than it should be and that my doc used a 42 Bougie and went very liberal at that. Iv obsessively researched options for revising the sleeve and Iv found a surgeon who is very experienced with this and who I feel good about. The question is, Iv had 2 prior surgeries with zero complications, is it crazy to risk it a third time ?? What would you do ?

Sleeve is different. For me...I didn't lose with band well at all but sleeve I lost half my body weight and normal size now. I guess it is less about restriction. .and indeed you have no food restrictions. It takes alot from you...and I think low carb helps.

You asked what I'd do. Not sure I would revise the sleeve. Don't know what you weigh but 10 isn't that much. I'd either try to make current sleeve work or revise to DS.

There is no making the current sleeve work, I've been trying that for 18 months, I have a very large "sleeve" that easily holds more than it should, much more. I know 10 lbs isn't that much but what about 10 more or the 10 after that? My current weight is fluctuating between 175-180 and the DS isn't an option, I won't even consider that, I just can't decided if I want to risk a third surgery.

If you're sure that your tummy is bigger than most people's sleeves, I would do it if I could afford it. My ins. would not pay for it, so it would be out of pocket.

You could do the cottage cheese test. Get a carton of cottage cheese and eat as much as you can until you feel really full. then you will have to measure what's left in the carton and you can figure out how much your sleeve holds.

I have a 32 Bougie, but I have heard the difference in size was only about a tablespoon.

I have a close friend who felt like she did not have enough restriction and who was always hungry. She actually works for the bariatric surgery center. There are two surgeons in the practice. She had the surgeon who didn't do her surgery order a scan to check her stomach size. That surgeon said her stomach was too big and it looked like the other surgeon hadn't taken enough off. He told her it looked almost normal. He did a sleeve revision on her and she recovered quickly and is now at her goal weight and has been for almost two years. So I think it can be safely revised, but it is a personal decision.

Thanks guys ! I'm scheduled to revise to MGB on 4/23.

What is MGB I know GB is gastric bypass. What is MGB?

Mini gastric bypass

scheduled to revise to MGB on 4/23.

@@Band07

OMG that was fast :)

you just started this post a couple of weeks ago

how did WLS go??

how are you feeling now

inquiring minds want to know ;)

hope all is moving along smoothly :)

good luck :)

kathy

Hi there, yes I guess things did progress rather fast. I had surgery on Thursday evening, I came home late Saturday night. I'm back to work today. Physically I feel pretty good, tired as I'm still on Clear liquids and not getting in too many calories. Emotionally, it's been really hard on me for some reason. The surgery and the hospital and surgeons were great though!

@@Band07 I hope your recovery is smooth and trouble free.

Your decision to go with the MGB seemed to come really quickly. Was that because your surgeon recommended it? It makes seems to make sense to me that trying to do a repair of your VSG would have been less optimal.

@@Band07

I am so glad things went well. I have been following your posts about your difficulties with both the lap band and the sleeve. I hope the MGB works out for you.

I think your experience underlines the fact that no WLS is perfect and each carries its own risks and results. And the results for one person are not necessarily the results of someone else. The complications forums certainly prove that. You decided to get the sleeve because of all those who said it was "great" and your experience was that it wasn't.

Good luck to you and I hope you have much success and will let us know.

@@Band07 I hope your recovery is smooth and trouble free.

Your decision to go with the MGB seemed to come really quickly. Was that because your surgeon recommended it? It makes seems to make sense to me that trying to do a repair of your VSG would have been less optimal.

I researched obsessively for about 3 months but I was unhappy for the entire time I had the sleeve. I initially had hoped to resleeve but yes, Dr. Rodriguez recommended the conversion because of a few reasons, one being that my body was used to restriction only procedures and it would continue to be a struggle for me and also long term continued risk of the sleeve stretching out again due to my scar tissue and two prior surgeries. After really looking into it, those things made sense to me too.

home Saturday night. I'm back to work today.

@@Band07

its been quite an adventure for you :)

glad hospital "people" were good to you

i do understand the roller coaster ride :wacko:

tired, little weak etc :(

sorry you are dealing with this :(

emotionally draining, sure

you just had surgery remember :unsure:

you and poor little tummy are adjusting :(

you "probably" didn't have enough sick time, or boss said you must come back to work??? :(

even though you are at work, try and take it slow

you might not have any choice

drink - you must stay hydrated

you don't want to faint from not enough Water

is there any chance you can ask your boss if you can work 1/2 days for a week???

does she know you had surgery???

the 3rd time is often the charm :)

hope this mini gastric bypass works to your liking :)

"check" on you later ;)

good luck :) :rolleyes:

kathy

Thanks so much ! I'm feeling pretty good today, still having headaches. You're right no vaca time, I'm a contract worker but my boss is good about letting me leave when my work is done. Yesterday I worked 9-2:30 then went home and slept 2 hours to recover lol I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is what was best for me .. Time will tell.