Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 35 or lower. Would you sleeve or bypass?

I'm so sorry I accidentally posted this in the wrong place. I meant to ask veterans. Would a BMI of 35 affect your choice to get the bypass or sleeve? Is one better than the other for a lower BMI?

I had the same optiin, and I went with a bypass. I was set on a sleeve, until I dug a little deeper, and found better long term outcomes for the bypass patients.

I did bypass as well. I had to have a hernia repair and my doc suggested to go with bypass.

I was a revision from band to bypass. I never even considered the sleeve. I only wanted one last surgery.. After seeing the sleeve to bypass revision board I knew I would only do the bypass.. And I love it :)

I had the bypass. Because my insurance has a 'one lifetime weight loss surgery' clause. So glad I did!

Especially since I wanted the lap band and just heard HORROR story's about it.

I found this website a week ago. So I am so happy I did the bypass.

Complications and all.

Best decision I EVER made!

I had my bypass 7yrs ago and it was the best decision I ever made.I had some complications and still is Happy about my decision.

My BMI was 35 & I had by pass. Have lost 60 # in 6 months & feel great. Off several medications & better blood sugar control. Off insulin now! Recommend by pass.

• Same thing for me too, I love my RNY! I also did a lot of research and came up with much better long term results with bypass.

I don't know how old you are, and I'm not a vet but my surgeon told me that for my age (mid 20s) that if it were him he would have a sleeve, I think this pertains more to you since your BMI isn't as high (at least in the WLS community), you dont have as much to lose and you will have less nutritional problems in the future. I personally am going with bypass but my BMI is also around 50 so I have lots and lots to lose.

sorry at surgery my BMI was at 36.1

Are you diabetic?? I had RNY, because Medicare in California only will pay for RNY or band. I had wanted the sleeve as it seems to be the IT surgery these days. But in the end I decided on the most restrictive surgery - the gold standard. not one regret. good luck to you.

I was bypassed only because of having GERD. I don't have it anymore. If you have GERD it can get worse if you get sleeved. It may not but it can. My husband got Sleeved and did not have GERD or heartburn much but he does now.

I was 35 bmi, no diabetes and 49yrs old. I had sleeve at doc's recommendation. If I'd had diabetes, he would have recommended bypass. I'm 7months out and no regrets.