Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and still having trouble with protein and foods

So, I am now three weeks past my operation and I am still having a terrible time eating anything.

Protein is practically impossible in liquid form. If I drink it I get horrible diarhea and if I eat it, I feel like I'm gonna puke for hours.

Most foods do not sit well in my sleeve.

I'm starting to think that there is something wrong...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Three weeks is still pretty early and you are probably still healing internally. What kinds of actual foods have you been trying? I'm not sure what your plan calls for, but at 3 weeks I was still on mushies/purees. I was allowed cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, tuna salad, soft cheeses, etc.

So, specifically what kinds of food have you tried, how much did you try, and how quickly did you eat?

I'll be 5 weeks out this Wed. Although I can do my Protein drinks fine, there are several other things I can't tolerate yet. I just keep regurtitating it back up....like tuna, salmon, ham salad, etc.

If you can do yogurts, There are a few that have 15 gms of Protein that would be good for you. Injury also has a Soup flavored Protein powder. If you can tolerate Soup, get some of that and add it to your soup and try that. As my Dr said at my checkup, it's all trial and error. You just have to keep trying things til you find something that will work for you. Good luck!

So, I am now three weeks past my operation and I am still having a terrible time eating anything.

Protein is practically impossible in liquid form. If I drink it I get horrible diarhea and if I eat it, I feel like I'm gonna puke for hours.

Most foods do not sit well in my sleeve.

I'm starting to think that there is something wrong...

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

It may be the brands you are using. I don't particularly care for the flavored kind. Too much stuff in them. I prefer Isopure unflavored that I can add to regular food.

However, 3 weeks out is still early. Your primary goal should be to stay hydrated. What are you eating now?

so far I have tried:

chicken salad

Laughing cow cheese

refried Beans

light sour cream

scrambled eggs

super super ground up beef

Tomato Soup

greek yogurt

it all goes down well sometimes and sometimes it really upsets my tummy. It depends on the day

I had the easiest time with cottage cheese at that stage. Have you tried it? I had a hard time with chicken and tuna salad, when I was first cleared to eat them, but tried them again a few weeks later and it was easier. It's a lot of trial and error early on, plus things will agree with you one day and not the next. Some great advice I've read since my surgery that I wish I had read sooner is to take one bite of something and then wait 5 full minutes before continuing to eat it. That way you have a chance to find out if your stomach is going to like it or hate it that day before you eat too much of it.

I think that's normal. Don't get discouraged....I'm the same way. Last night I did mashed potatoes and cooked carrots and just had to stop. Some days it all goes down with no pain or discomfort, others I just have to quit and call it good. I think you're doing great, like was said before, it's all still new and getting Water and hydration and not Protein is your biggest goal. I asked the Dr about that at my 2-3 week checkup cause I was barely doing any Protein. He wasn't concerned at all. Said do what you can and you will make it up later.

The refried Beans, with melted cheese in it did great, as long as I ate small bites and had plenty of time between bites.

Thanks everyone :) I really appreciate the imput and encouragement.

I am three weeks out too. But haven't had any problems with the Protein Shakes soft foods. I would call you nutritionist or doctor if you can't keep it down. Good luck.

Normal! Don't worry! It really takes at least a month to feel better. My doctor said you are still swollen an unhealed before then. Go easy on yourself and don't worry. It will get much better soon.

If you are getting diarrhea after drinking your Protein Drinks, you may have developed lactose intolerance..I would try mixing with soy or almond milk to see if that makes a difference.

I have been on Clear Liquids for 4 weeks after my surgery. Today was day one of puréed, and I ate applesauce. OMG it was the most delicious thing ever!!

I would agree with you about the lactose intolerance except that I have been eating cheese with no problem...I really have no idea. I have started mixing my Protein into pudding which helps me stomach it a bit better.

I would agree with you about the lactose intolerance except that I have been eating cheese with no problem...I really have no idea. I have started mixing my Protein into pudding which helps me stomach it a bit better.

Cheese sometimes doesn't affect lactose intolerance. I can eat cheese but milk and ice cream is bad...very bad. The other weird thing is, that some days I can eat it all and no problem. Other days I can't keep my Protein Shakes in.

ok, I will definitely get my hands on some almond milk or soy milk then. boo :( the thought of being lactose intolerant makes me really sad...I like milk lots and lots