Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit problems?

Maybe it's me but I'm having issues with fruits. Oranges I can't eat or my stomach kills me! I literally just ate an apple and bam I went straight to the bathroom. Bananas fill me up for a long time but leave me feeling uncomfortable also. Grapes taste weird to me now and Pre op they were my all time go to fruit.

Anyone else?!

Fiber, all those fruits are very high in Fiber and fiber tens to expand once in the stomach, they can definitely lead to discomfort. for me, i can eat apple slices with no skins, ( skins upset my stomach, but they always did) and i buy the little kid packs of peeled sliced apples, that's enough of them to fill me totally and its like 4 or 5 slices. so i feel where you're coming from.

fiber, all those fruits are very high in fiber and fiber tens to expand once in the stomach, they can definitely lead to discomfort. for me, i can eat apple slices with no skins, ( skins upset my stomach, but they always did) and i buy the little kid packs of peeled sliced apples, that's enough of them to fill me totally and its like 4 or 5 slices. so i feel where you're coming from.

Yeah I buy the cuties the tiny oranges or tangerines whatever it is and I thought they'd be perfectly sized but I can't do it anymore. I'm not a fan of apple slices I'd rather eat an apples but like I said I've been noticing more things to add to my can't have list which sucks because I love fruit because it fulfills my sweet tooth.

Aren't you fairly early out after surgery? fruit has too many carbs and sugars anyway. I'm 6 months out and have only had a banana and some berries. No apples or oranges yet. Like I said, too much sugar for me.

My nut encourages fruit in my diet and has since I was post op 4 weeks.

it is good fiber and eaten in moderation the carbs won't hurt you.

Aren't you fairly early out after surgery? fruit has too many carbs and sugars anyway. I'm 6 months out and have only had a banana and some berries. No apples or oranges yet. Like I said, too much sugar for me.

I'm 4 months out. Fruit has been on my NUT plan after 3 months.

My nut encourages fruit in my diet and has since I was post op 4 weeks.

it is good fiber and eaten in moderation the carbs won't hurt you.

Yeah every NUT is different I didn't do fruit till month 3. And now is when I really pay attention to what does and doesn't work.

I could tell u stories LOL!!..i can't have bananas anymore, i never really liked them but, i tried half and thank god there was a loo....Shrimps :( can't have or i'll puke and cold sweat....

I could tell u stories LOL!!..i can't have bananas anymore, i never really liked them but, i tried half and thank god there was a loo....Shrimps :( can't have or i'll puke and cold sweat....

Oh no I can't live without shrimp! Yeah fruit has been my main issue and dairy but I was lactose intolerant Pre op but post op WATCH OUT! I ate yogurt one day and oh no! The toilet didn't stand a chance.

Bananas cause dumping for me still. I cannot eat the pith of an orange. I just suck out all the juice. I can eat a few bites of melon, pineapple and overripe kiwi goes down well.

Try grilling watermelon and putting paprika, salt and pepper flakes on it. Somehow goes down easier cooked,

I also mix fruit into things. Beef stew with apricots, curry with raisins, mango black bean salsa.

Add fruit to your Protein drink.

Frozen fruit goes down easier also. I eat homemade unsweetened applesauce. Still can't eat an apple.

I was only in the last month able to start eating some fruits. I still can only have bite or two of those.

You will get there. Keep trying different food eventually you can add more variety.

fruit can be tough to eat. You should never eat more than 1/2 banana if you are having a banana. I think berries are probably easier to tolerate at the beginning: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. Oranges and pineapple are the toughest.

Especially fresh

I have the same problem. Can eat very little fruit, mostly berries. I am almost 2 years out and I just started adding vegetables and salad back to my diet (but very small amounts)

So far my new tummy has been accommodating just about everything foodwise, including fruit albeit in smaller portions, i.e. 1/2 of a SMALL banana, a few sections of orange, cantaloupe, raspberries and blueberries. Because I love most fruits, I have to be really careful about how much I eat and how fast I eat it. I've always been a slow eater, but now it's like I'm at a micro-crawl!