Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit problems?

oranges=death. I think because if we chew it it's still hard to breakdown the fibers and it gets stuck. Nausea for at least an hour follows. I will chew, drink the juice and spit out the fibrous stuff if I am eating by myself or no oranges for moi.

Strawberries, blueberries or a 1/4 of a banana or 1/4 apple is great. Anymore banana or apple results in too much sugar and I'm so tired afterwards.

None of those things bother me. I tried fruit probably after month 4 but don't really do it much at all these days. When I do, its not a problem. Just chowed a "cutie" orange for a snack and it was fine. Full now, but fine. May be kinda soon for that much Fiber for you.

None of those things bother me. I tried fruit probably after month 4 but don't really do it much at all these days. When I do, its not a problem. Just chowed a "cutie" orange for a snack and it was fine. Full now, but fine. May be kinda soon for that much fiber for you.

I stopped now but at 5 months I'll try again. So take a month off.

My nut encourages fruit for Snacks as long as I am still meeting my Protein goals. One of my "meals" most days is half a Granny Smith apple sliced dipped in a mix of Greek yogurt & either PB2 or Peanut Butter Protein Powder. Since adding the half apple a day with skin, the Constipation has gotten so much better. I will also mix small amounts of frozen berries into my Protein Shakes sometimes too.

I didnt try fruit till after 6 mon..I keep the green seedless grapes around an I have had "A" strawberry an that is the extent of my fruit trying. I was afraid of to much natural sugars , skins and fibers. the seedless grapes even with the little skin I have done well with.

Luckily, I haven’t had problems with fruit. I definitely waited a while after my surgery to add them back in, but I depend on it now for healthy Snacks and sweet treats!

I know it’s easier with the band than with the sleeve, though. I think it’s safest to try only after your surgeon says so, and also to start with a small bite. Also, I’ve heard that the lower-sugar fruits can be easier – berries are often good.

fruit with UNFAVORABLE CARBOHYDRATES (use in moderation): banana, cranberries, dates, fig, guava, kumquat, mango, papaya, prunes, raisins

Fruit with FAVORABLE CARBOHYDRATES (use primarily, fresh, frozen, or canned light): apple, applesauce, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, fruit cocktail, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew, kiwi, lemon, lime, nectarine, orange, orange, mandarin, canned, peach, pear, pineapple, plum, raspberries, strawberries, tangerine, watermelon

RAPID INDUCERS OF INSULIN (glycemic index greater than 100%): banana, raisens, apricots, papaya, mango

MODERATE INDUCERS OF INSULIN (glycemic index 50-80%): orange

REDUCED INSULIN SECRETION (glycemic index 30-50%): apple, applesauce, pears, grapes, peaches

(glycemic index 30% or less): cherries, plums, grapefruit

Source: THE ZONE by Barry Sears, PhD, Appendix C (pages 227-238), Appendix H (pages 267-270).

Appendix also gives serving size suggestions for fruits listed above.

I'm almost two months post-bypass and just this week started added 2-3 fresh strawberries and 2-3 slices of banana to my Greek yogurt in the blender -- haven't had any problems and is very yummy -

May I ask what NUT plan is

I eat peeled apples blueberries cooked strawberries and canned pears. I also cant eat oranges or grapefruit bananas or kiwi. Melon is too filling and makes me feel sick. But I need the Fiber and the sweetness feels like a treat to me!

I am three months out and too chicken to try most raw fruits, but the one's I've tried I haven't had any problems with. I've had strawberries, blueberries, grapes, a melon sampling from a salad bar (one bite of honeydew, one bite of cantaloupe, one bite of watermelon) and pineapple. (I've also had canned peach.) I have YET to try banana, apple, pear, fresh peaches/nectarines/plums, oranges/clementines/etc.

I have a very small capacity (around 3 ounces) so I haven't eaten a banana simply because I know I can't eat the whole thing and don't want to peel a whole banana just to eat a few bites!! I haven't even used one in a smoothie/shake because I figure that's just extra calories I don't actually need. I am sure I will change my tune eventually.

Edited by heynowkc