Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of my biggest reasons for getting vsg in Oct 2014 was to be able to conceive. Hubby and I have been trying for almost 6 years. Never been pregnant before. We did go to a fertility doctor and did a few rounds of injections with clomid and IUI but still nothing. He did mention I possibly had PCOS. And he never mentioned my weight! But after those failed and us trying on our own, it was mentioned by other professionals that it possibly could be weight related. I will do anything to get pregnant so I decided to start my journey to get healthier. Starting weight was 388 and I am down 82 pounds at a little over 4 months out. We are using protection currently because I was told to wait at least a year. So lately I have this uncontrollable fear that I won't be able to conceive. I literally become panicked and emotional about it. I need some hope ladies! Anyone have any stories of vsg and PCOS with successfully getting pregnant? Thanks for any hope!

I can't answer your question directly, but I specialize in hope. :)

You sort of gloss over the non reproductive consequences of weighing 388. Think of what you have accomplished so far, how much stress you have taken off your heart, your joints. Think about how you are extending your life...not just for children, perhaps even for grandchildren. My point? Right now..one step at a time...focus on YOU. Get healthier, get fitter, and I promise you are better prepared for living a full life.

I am a huge believer in positive thinking. Visualize a fit and active you....think about it, paint a mental picture. Eventually, visualize that healthy you with children and all the wonderful things you can enjoy. Your fit self can chase them around, play on the monkey bars and be the kind of mom you always dreamed.

God has been known to surprise us all, so be ready! says the mom of two grown sons, oldest adopted, youngest natural born. :)

I have PCOS and know from all the research I have done that you have noting to worry about at all. You will get pregnant and i mean fast. Your hormones will regulate and you will have a regular cycle. My sister in law has PCOS and she is thin as a rail and had 2 kids no problem. Do not worry about this. You will be blessed soon enough and this fear will dissolve. I will keep you in my prayers. Right now just focus on your health and everything else will Iron itself out.

Bonawanabfree - thank you so much! I am hoping it will happen quickly for us. My heart is aching to have a baby and be a mommy. My cycles have regulated since surgery so that is huge! Thanks for the prayers!!

While I don't have an answer for you, I will be following this post. I had my surgery done for a very similar reason. My health is priority one but babies are a a very close second. I hope people can weigh in and give some insite. I was sleeved 12/22/14 so I'm a little behind you but I would love to see the answers people have. I wish you all the luck in the world! I'm sure when your body is ready, you will have a beautiful bundle of joy :)

Thanks cd0727!! Congrats on your surgery! How are you doing 2 months out? I wish you luck as well!!

I'm doing well! Down 38lbs and am trying to learn this new life style. Some times it's hard but I have to look at the big picture and that the more I lose, the better my chances are at getting pregnant :)

How are you doing? I love meeting other women that are in this for the same reason! :)

Wow 38 pounds in 2 months is awesome! Congrats! I remember struggling the first month or 2 with adapting. I by no means am perfect, but I am in a routine so it comes a bit easier now. I have my days where I feel like I am losing great and on target and other days where I feel slow. I definitely am one that hits stalls every 30ish pounds and they last for 3 weeks so it's frustrating. But I am officially down 83 pounds as of this morning and there is no way I would have done that in 4 months without it. I'm almost out of the 300s which is huge for me!!! Been 10+ years since I have been 2 something.

I love talking to other women who are going through it too! This whole experience is so unique and you definitely need friends who have gone through it plus you add in infertility and that requires even more specialized friends who have been through it.

Yes! The stalls are so frustrating! I'm officially down 40lbs but I lost 30 of those in the first month. This second month has been hard. I'm hoping now that the stall has seemed to have been broken, it will fall off. I'm trying to be down 75lbs by my brother in laws wedding in late April.

Do you have a timeline of when you are going to start trying again? My dr said for me, it is safe to start trying between 8-12 month mark. My husband and I haven't really talked much but I think once I hit 100lbs down, it will be a good time but who know! I just hope this surgery will help the PCOS and fertility problems. We tried clomid and had a chemical pregnancy our second month but other than that my body didn't respond to it. Fingers crossed for the both of us that this is our golden ticket! :)

I think if you don't make it to 75 pounds you will be close to it! It's so hard to not focus on that number on the scale. I am dropping weight all over but very little in my stomach because of the dang PCOS. So frustrating. It is coming of there but just slowly.

We are going to start trying at the 1 year mark. My surgeon said ideally he would like me to wait 2 years out but I told him that I will be 31 this year and want more than 1 child so waiting 2 years was not an option. He said for me to wait till the 1 year mark so if I get pregnant right away, I won't give birth till after the 18 month post op mark. My cycles are regulated to the day every month now so I know my body is getting in better working order. Makes it hard to not just say well let's see what happens. It's been 6 years that we have been trying so why prevent now? But I know I will be so much healthy if I can give myself till October. I would never forgive myself if I got pregnant sooner and if I was diagnosed with diabetes or high blood pressure or whatever. I just know I would blame myself for not giving myself enough time. We tried clomid a few times along with IUI and nothing. I have high great egg reserve and he has great numbers as well. Just my body was not taking. I was too unhealthy. I don't know how I would have carried a child as heavy as I am/was. I have hope that this will help us girl!!! We can beat infertility! Are you on Facebook? I would love to keep in touch! Having someone else go through this with me is so nice because you understand!

I think if you don't make it to 75 pounds you will be close to it! It's so hard to not focus on that number on the scale. I am dropping weight all over but very little in my stomach because of the dang PCOS. So frustrating. It is coming of there but just slowly.

We are going to start trying at the 1 year mark. My surgeon said ideally he would like me to wait 2 years out but I told him that I will be 31 this year and want more than 1 child so waiting 2 years was not an option. He said for me to wait till the 1 year mark so if I get pregnant right away, I won't give birth till after the 18 month post op mark. My cycles are regulated to the day every month now so I know my body is getting in better working order. Makes it hard to not just say well let's see what happens. It's been 6 years that we have been trying so why prevent now? But I know I will be so much healthy if I can give myself till October. I would never forgive myself if I got pregnant sooner and if I was diagnosed with diabetes or high blood pressure or whatever. I just know I would blame myself for not giving myself enough time. We tried clomid a few times along with IUI and nothing. I have high great egg reserve and he has great numbers as well. Just my body was not taking. I was too unhealthy. I don't know how I would have carried a child as heavy as I am/was. I have hope that this will help us girl!!! We can beat infertility! Are you on Facebook? I would love to keep in touch! Having someone else go through this with me is so nice because you understand!

Just sent you a private message :)

Never lose hope ladies. I suffered from PCOS and Obesity all of my life. Highest weight 289, surgery weight 261, I managed to get down to 158lbs before yes I became PREGNANT at 21 months post op. I am currently 13 weeks and baby is doing great, thank God. I never had regular cycles often put on birth control just to regulate them and progesterone to have a cycle. I even did 6 rounds of clomid a few years ago but never ovulated. Before surgery I had an IUD put in because I did not want to run the chance of maybe becoming pregnant too soon after surgery. I had the IUD removed in Aug. 2014 and with God's blessing became pregnant just 4 months later in Dec. No medical intervention, the only thing I did do was just Ovulation Predictor Kits to time intercourse as my cycles were long ranging from 35-40 days. This itself was a big step for me as I never had regular cycles but as soon as I got under 200lbs they started up on their own. Once you start to lose weight your hormones start to regulate themselves. My PCOS and Infertility was one of my 3 main reasons for having this surgery. So again I say to all of you lovely ladies never lose hope, God is good and you will see all your hopes and dreams come true in due time :)