Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I getting protein?

Hi all, I'm at week 3. I'm wondering what will happen if I'm not able to get all 60 grams of Protein in daily.

I've tried drinking the protein supplements, they make me gag. So I'm dependent on getting the protein solely by food.< /p>

What role does protein play in our weight Loss?

Sorry for such a long question.

Hi,

If it is the taste of the Protein, try adding crystal light drink mixes into the powder to get a taste you can get down. While it was tough, I did it and the flavors helped me to get the Protein down. Once you can have some pureed food, you won't have as much trouble. Some of it is mind over matter, but truly I washed my mouth out after the Protein drinks so I didn't have that taste in my mouth forever. I also had some sugar free popsicles to help me get the taste out of my mouth. I think I had 6 a day after surgery just to feel like I could eat something normal and to keep the Protein Drink taste from killing me! :)

It is so important to get in all your protein! I had lots of thick, coarse hair before the surgery and now I have finer, thiner hair due to not getting enough protein. I am using a Shampoo called Biotene which I bought at a health food store to help with my hair. It has made a huge difference and is all natural with no chemicals.

I have to get in 92 - 120 grams of protein a day and at 7 months out, I still struggle. So, this is how I make it work:

I drink a Protein shake first thing every morning at 6:30 am and that's 30 grams.

I have a Protein Bar mid morning (20g).

I have some greek yogurt at lunch(12-14g).

I have another Protein Bar in the afternoon(20g) and then I eat a regular dinner. I nibble on veggies and fruit throughout the day or with my Protein Bars.

A regular dinner consists of chicken, fish, shrimp, occasional steak and veggies or salad. I skip any starchy vegetables and breads.

The first 8 weeks are the toughest, but I know you can do this! Keep me posted and I'll be thinking got you!

Clarissa

I called my nutritionist about the amount of Protein I'm getting in because it is no where near the 60 g a day range. She told me that the goal is 60-80 grams and to do the best that I can. She talked to me about different options such as cheese, milk, etc. She personally would like me to get that much Protein, but said not to stress about it, just work on it. I doubt I get a portion of that every day.

I really struggle with protein drinks. If I drink one, it makes me nauseous and I can't eat anything the rest of the day, so that is out. Anything with Sucralose or any artificial sweetener makes me ill. The only one I can tolerate is stevia. Luckily I've found the new Dannon 000 yogurts which have stevia in them.

I'm still only able to get 1/4 cup of anything down at a time. I can't eat any veggies at all because I have to pack the protein in. It is very frustrating. I'm going to try a protein bar (or portion) today for a snack.

At 3 weeks, you are still fairly limited. What helped me, was adding fage nonfat Greek to a smoothie with Protein powder. It takes a while to get it down. Sometimes the powder was unflavored and I would add a fourth cup of fruit. What the yogurt did was add Protein and give it some bitterness so it wasn't all sweet.

Also, try making egg drop Soup with the soft poached eggs and I would add powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken flavored protein to this. Again avoiding sweet tastes.

I also made healthy chowder Soups with strained corn and shrimp and added enriched milk powder to this.

I could tolerate string cheese.

I also love Dannon Fit and Lite. Flavors are delish. Toasted coconut and vanilla and strawberry shortcake are the best. I do those for Breakfast.

You can also look up recipe for ricotta bake. Topped with pesto.

Premier Protein shakes are good.

By the end of the day, when I could actually tolerate sweets, I would mix chocolate or unflavored protein in sugar free Jello. At three weeks, I was averaging 80-85g protein. Some days, I would accidentally hit 100.

I eat very slowly and have not had much in the way of nausea or vomiting.

The Dannon yogurt has 12g Protein and the fage has 18g. Can't beat that!

I meant Jello pudding...

I too am having trouble with the Protein shakes making me sick. I'm 9 wks after surg and the Dr asked me to try diff foods with Protein in it and try powder shakes to mix with the food to make the protein higher or use a protein shake without whey or lactose. Does anyone have any suggestions to what foods you can have that are soft for your diet but high in protein? This will help thanks.

I am also three weeks out and I eat a lot of Beans. White Beans, black beans, lima beans, butter beans, you can find them in cans or dried, cook them real good then I put them in my Ninja with a little chicken broth to get them nice and smooth and I love them that way, you can also add some unflavored Protein powder to them to double the Protein, I can eat 4 to 5 oz 4 to 5 times a day and get 30-40 grams of protein then I just add one Premier Protein chocolate shake at the end of the day as my treat. I wasn't getting enough protein either until I started eating the beans. It does get old eating the same thing but I keep telling myself it won't be forever and I have already lost 28lbs in 3 weeks so I am happy with that.

Do some research online for beans that are high in protein and pick the ones you like, I also like split pea Soup which you can add carrotts too for some veggies and it is packed with protein.

We have to lean to be creative and think long term. I know you can do this, just get creative! Good Luck!