Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study - What to expect

I will be doing my sleep test this weekend. I don't think I have sleep apena, however, I was recently told that I do have a deviated septum. This was after I complained about my left nostril being constantly clogged. Anyone have experience with a deviated septum and the sleep study. What was the outcome?

Thanks,

My insurance initially approved an "at home" sleep study. It had significant enough apnea events that I was approved for a sleep study at a sleep center. They hooked me up to a million electrodes, put a bipap on my face and I watched TV until I fell asleep. They woke me at 6 am and sent me home.

If it wasn't for my "mild" sleep apnea, insurance would have never approved my sleeve surgery. I'm now bi pap and sleep apnea "free" as of one month post op.

If you need sleep apnea for insurance purposes, I wish you good luck! The study itself is uneventful.

I guess different people have different experiences. I've had two - one without a CPAP and my second one (just yesterday) with a CPAP. I did not enjoy either one. Between all the wires, my mind being "busy" knowing someone's watching me, and the fact that they make you sleep on your back (I'm a stomach sleeper) - I did not sleep well at all. The air from the CPAP machine didn't bother me (I actually kind of liked it), but the mask itself bothered my face and I had a red ring around my nose afterward.

On the bright side (I guess) - I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea so it's definitely going to help my case.

Good luck!

Edited by lexiemustang

Some people note that they have difficulty falling asleep but keep in mind that they don't need a full night's sleep to diagnose you. I think they need a full sleep cycle or two but not a solid 8 hours or anything.

I'd say it's a somewhat annoying but necessary experience. I've actually had three, the last one was overnight and then all the next day. The wires are annoying but other than that, it's pretty mundane.

Does anyone have a deviated septum? I have one nostril that is mostly blocked. How does that affect the sleep study. I'm not concerned about the study its self.

I used to, but had surgery to repair it several years ago. I had my sleep study week ago last Monday. They will have a wire below your nostrils (to see how you breath) in addition to all over you face, head, chest, & legs. I was awakened three times in the night with the last time being attached to a CPAP. Let the technician know you have a deviated septum.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches