Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long does it take to eat/ what about the food will i still like

I was told that food can get stuck ,so afther surgery i will have to eat slow .

Now when i eat it takes about 15min for me, thats slow . How long will it take?

My docter was trying to get me to have the bypass he said that it is better then the lap band becuse i wont like the same foods, and that i will dumping meaning if i eat sweet i'll have to go to the bathroom. now with the lap band will i still like the same food .

Christina,

First: WELCOME!

Second: I haven't been banded yet but from my extensive research on the band, I have learned that for most folks they say it should take you about 1/2 hour to eat. Longer in the beginning. Some nutritionists will say put the fork down and wait minutes (how many depends on the "nut" or nutritionist) between bites. You will want to savor the food you eat as the portions are smaller, and you must take very small bites and chew really well so that the food you do eat doesn't get "caught" or "stuck" in the new opening created by the band down into your stomach. But the longer you take to eat, the fuller you feel on less food.

Third: Many people here have said that some of the foods they liked pre-band they just don't want or crave post-band. It's frequently foods that are bad for you, and sodas which you shouldn't have anymore, either. Don't know why that is, but it does happen.

For me the bypass (RNY) is not the right choice. If it is for you, then I say go for it. But I just don't want to have lengths of bowel removed and my stomach cut and stitched back together again. Many folks who have RNY (as well as some bandsters) do regain some weight down the road. But if I have the band, I can just start over again with restriction and recommit myself. With the RNY, your body does eventually get used to the malabsorption and malnutrition created by the surgery and then your options are limited. Lots of former RNY patients then get the LapBand on top of the RNY. Sure, there are some LapBand patients that don't succeed with the band and later choose to have the RNY or DS or Gastric Sleeve. It does work both ways, but I would much rather try the least invasive option first. Realizing that it is not magic, it will not cause me to be malnourished like the RNY, I won't magically lose weight, I will have to work with the band, I will have to make better food choices and I'll have to get up and MOVE. I also know that the band will need adjusting from time to time and in the beginning I will NOT have restriction until probably my second, may be my third, possibly my fourth fill and my first one won't be for six weeks after my surgery. I know that I will have to change my habits (I've already started).

But it IS possible and it is SOOO much healthier for you in the long run (unless you have significant co-morbidities and HAVE to get the weight off FAST, then I would go get the RNY without hesitation). I don't want to be a slave to food anymore, many Bandsters say they feel freed of that now. You can only eat a limited amount of food so you want to make sure it is good food. I also want to on occasion have a piece of cheesecake to Celebrate something or a chocolate at Christmastime. If I had the RNY, then I would likely become uncomfortable and "dump" after that cheesecake, or chocolate, or even a glass of wine.

Take care, hope this has helped.

no i'm not having bypass to meny poeple have died from it . the dr just want to get your money they don't tell you that. i went to a meeting and when i came home i had a panic attack . i know i have to get this wight off ,and i'd tryed evrything . i came home cry i just knew i was going to die from the wight i'm 24 and can't walk whit out pain . my bmi is 41 .i'm 5 1" i just new it was over then i got on internet and i herd about the band and now in july ill be going in for my surgry

First to answer your question. It takes me about 1 hour to eat a meal, Yes I said 1 hour. I found that my family wolfed our food down and having food stuck is a pain you will not soon forget. Never eat in front of the Tv, you tend to get into the show and forget the size of bite and the amount of chews. I used a baby spoon and counted my chews I try for 20-30 chews per bite, do this until its second nature. Start practicing now and try and get in the habit of taking a bite, putting your fork down and chew like its your last bite. I found after I explained to my family we had to slow down, meal time is much more enjoyable. I take a bite and chew, we talk in between bites and then take another bite. Some times your meal may be a bit cold by the time your done but you won't have food stuck. As for your second question, I still like all the foods from before except I've found that most drinks like crystal light and propel and such are just to sweet for me now, so I Water them all down, like half and half. Now if you would have told me this before surgery I'd think you were nuts buts thats been my experience. Everyone is different. IMO the best advise is to eat SLOW, CHEW well. Best of luck