Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded in Springfield MO??

Hi.....remember me? Just read all the recent posts..:wow2:....you all sound like you are doing well. Way to go.

I had my second fill on 11.8.07. Dr. Edwards did it this time and am glad to say it was painless. The first fill was not a positive experience......but I digress.......:blah::blah:

I've lost 30 lbs so far. Like Tabitha, it feels like the process is much slower than hoped for. At first I could tell a big difference. However, now I have some restriction, but every day notice that I can eat more and more (volume). Not a good sign, so I will call Monday to schedule another fill.

I hope it's not a 3 week wait like I've read about. :frusty:

I have a question...

I had my second fill on 11/15 and since I've started back on solids I get a pain in my upper chest and get the hiccups after eating bread (flour tortillas, calzone, to be exact) and once or twice after eating scrambled eggs. Now, I have had this pain before and know that it is from eating too fast, to big of a bite, or something that doesn't agree with me anymore. I have never had trouble with bread until this fill though. So, does that possibly mean that I might have some restriction or just that I am eating too fast or too big of a bite? I don't feel full at all, but I'm eating less because after the pain I just don't feel like eating anymore of whatever it was.

I know it is different for everyone, but if you have some insight I would love to hear it. :)

Tabitha---your issues sound a lot like the beginning of my restriction ...

The "typical problem foods" were not a problem for me...in the beginning. Now I can not (hardly) eat bread/tortillas/pasta/rice/whole corn/etc.... and my full feeling is NOT the same full feeling, as pre-band! Pre-band, the fullness I would feel, was a heavy, satisfying...lower feeling than now. Now I feel a higher up, almost.... in the chest kind of pressure, (discomfort if too much)...it is satisfying, when I can recognize it early enough to stop, before discomfort sets in. If I get the hick ups---that usually means too much (Like I didn't recognize full feeling soon enough)! Or that bread etc....would like to come back up by PB.

I love Mexican food...now I order an enchilada with no tortilla. I eat pizza toppings instead of the crust ...etc. I can "eat"/get down the bread, pretty well, most of the time..but after I eat it, doesn't feel comfortable , so I usually skip it. (For me, I need to really watch carbs anyway- so that's good thing I can't/shouldn't eat it.)

Good Luck, & I hope getting your next fill appointment in will be easy. ..maybe they will get the new staff and fill times ASAP! Wishing you the best---Kimberly

I'm just starting to jump thru the hoops to get insurance approval. My first visit with Dr Edwards is on 12/4 and I had my psych eval this morning with Katy Waldron. (She's very nice.) I didn't leave in a straight jacket, so I guess I passed. :-) I'm not sure if I'll go with Lap Band or bypass and will decide that after the consult with Dr Edwards.

I'm assuming some of you also considered bypass. What were some of the factors that made you choose Lap Band? Enquiring minds want to know.

KJL

Hi KJL,

I understand completely when you say "going thru hoops". I was at Dr. Edwards office today and said the exact same phrase. I wish I could tell you that there will be no hoops in the future, but, for me, it has not happened.

Regarding the decision for lab band or bypass, it was a clear cut decision for me.

Lap band: less invasive

Fewer risks

less expensive (I'm self pay/work at St John's, they don't cover

it for employees)

reversible

no cutting or moving my digestive system

lower mortality rates

fewer Vitamins and supplements to take lifelong

ability to customize the amt of restriction to my individual needs.

It all added up for me to choose this route.

:hungry:

Hi KJL (and everyone!) Welcome to the group!

I must say, I'm still jumping through a few hoops myself - not with insurance anymore though. Just be patient...it will eventually be over. I don't regret a hoop yet.:)

As far as my decision to go with LB vs. bypass...I ditto everything UN5 said. To be honest, I did consider bypass for a brief moment. I asked Edwards if it would be appropriate for me, he said either would be fine, but I stuck with LB.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted.

kjl????? made up your mind? By-pass or lapband?

Hi everybody! It has been quiet around here lately! I went for fill # 5...they gave me such a tiny adjustment...I may need another. Should I go on a Friday, and hope for Doc Edwards himself to give it???? I am wanting to get back to where I was before I lost this last 30#..that fill was perfect. I wanted to be down 100 pounds by Christmas day.

Happy Holidays to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning Maziemommy:

I've decided on the lapband. I have all the appointments scheduled, now it's just doing the work. My first visit for excercise is this morning, and the nutritionist is tomorrow morning. I was at the all day behaviorial health seminar yesterday. (didn't much care for driving into Springfield in that lovely weather!).

You'll make it to 100 by Christmas and it'll be the best present you can give yourself. :-)

Thanks KJL. That is very encouraging. How long of a wait do you expect, before surgery? for example..... How much trouble is your insurance/financing going to be? Do you have to do three/or more months of appointments or anything? Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thinking of you all this time of year (and always) Kimberly

Yes, I have 3 months of "multi disaplinary" appointments to keep, diet/exercise/psych/surgeon, to satisfy Aetna. I sure hope I don't jump thru all their hoops only to have them turn me down. The 3 months will be completed the middle of February, so I'm hoping to have the surgery by my birthday, March 15.

Time to go. Nutritionist apppointment in one hour.

Karen

Update for everyone is included....

Karen...HI! My Mom...long story short, went through Aetna and got approved right away, after the 3 months.

She was on the 1st week of liquids, and failed a stress test....She will be having a triple by-pass heart surgery in the morning....instead of lap-band surgery on next Wed. the 19th as was the plan. But... Mary did great work getting everything right the first time to satisfy Aetna, even though it did take three months! Good luck to you.

Hi Kimberly:

I imagine you're at the hospital with your mom now, but I wanted to let know know I'm thinking of you and yours and praying for your mom. I know it will all go well.

Karen

Kimberly - I know you probably won't get this for a while, but please keep us posted about your mom. I hope she is doing well!

HELLO ALL,

I am from east of Lebanon, MO. Getting banded tomorrow morning by Dr Chris Edwards in Springfield. My husband and I are driving up tonight to stay in a hospitality room since its about a 2 hour drive. Please keep me in your prayers!

Thanks

weight.png

grannyk- you will be in my prayers.

Update on Mom....she is out of ICU, being hateful to everyone, so I think that means she will be OK. If she was "too pleasant" I would be worried! I was really scared for a while , but calming down now. If she had gone in for her band.... they are saying she would have "crashed" on the table. This being, non-emergency triple by-pass, it was far better odds. Heart surgeon said 6 weeks if all goes well she could still get her band. We'll see.

Merry Christmas to all... may we all make sensible choices daily. Thinking of you all, Kimberly