Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

Pam, this may be for you to figure out...

but a few years ago me and my cousin got on the phen-fen diet pills. Both lost about 30 pounds in about 3 months... and both started to lose our hair at the same time (month 3).

(this is the mystery) We both took this for a four month period. By the end of our 4th month we were shaking in our boots thinking that we were (honestly) gonna go bald, we both have thin hair and could NOT afford the loss. So, we got off the diet pills, started gaining our weight back and our hair quit falling.

I dont believe that the anesthesia has caused this... Im going more with the hormone thing.

Hmmm...maybe it's a combination of everything! I guess everyone's chemisty is different so maybe it's something different for everyone! At least it's getting to be winter so we can wear hats ;):P:D

This thread is stressin me out!!!!! I am already hair challenged, I can't afford to lose anymore. I'm seriously stressed about losing my hair, 9 months, I won't have any hair left!!! Does this happen to everyone? I've been banded for 2 months, so I need to figure out what I can do to lessen the Hair loss effect.

Debbie

I'm 14 months out, and yes at 3 months post-op I was loosing alot of hair, the shower drain was always clogged. I take my hair very seriously. It is very thick but grows oh sooo slow. I'm happy to report my hair is growing fairly good now or at least not falling out in clumps. I take alot of vitamins...don't know if that helps or not. One more thought , my sister claimed that hair changes with the seasons...new grow in spring then shead, growth..etc...?

86 the Rogaine!! Who wants to check out the bearded ladies? That would be more than I could bear!

New hairstyles all around! We can do this, Ladies! I'll probably cut mine up to mid-back, which I do once in a great while. I worry now that I'm older that it takes longer to grow, but by the time I get to goal I should be back to normal. ;)

Not to worry too much ladies, as the hair falls out, new growth will be coming in at the same time. You should be able to feel some new growth stubble at your scalp. Remember it's only temporary, your body will adjust it's hormonal overload, and as the weight decreases, so will the stores of hormones. LOL @ bearded ladies... it's almost halloween, but I'm not looking to be a wolf-woman!

Alright, so I started this thread when I was really stressing out about my Hair loss. So, I went and had is cut last night above my shoulders. My husband loves it and I think it is just OK. I know this is not going to stop the hair loss but at least the hair is not so long. I am sorry if I scared any of you fellow newbies but I did not know this could happen to me either. It does not happen to everyone and it does grow back. Good luck to you all. Thanks for all the support and information.

Well, I had my hair cut from my waist to just below my shoulders. It hasn't been this short in 35 years! It's in my way, but it doesn't look as thin now. My husband said it makes me look younger. What a sweetie! He likes it; I'm still not sure. But it works for now. :rolleyes:

Becky,

I went from very long hair to short hair several years ago. I had been known for my long golden locks all my life. What a difference! It took major courage on my part to actually go through with it and then I thought I might hyperventilate in the process, LOL! But now I am so glad I did it. I think I look more stylish and now I think back to my long hair and just remember what a PITA it was, LOL!

Thanks Blossom. Now I just have to figure out how to "fix" this stuff. I've never done anything but wash and brush it. LOL!

And, Betty, I did take a picture, but just couldn't post it. I will take one later and put it up. It doesn't look bad -- just different and 35 years is a long time to wait for a change. It's still sorta long, but very strange for me.

Mine started falling out last night. I don't know if it's mental or what, but I'm about a week from my 4 month mark. We just gotta remember that it'll pass and we'll have our hair back again :rolleyes:

Becky-

My hair is half way down my back, but usually once a year I chop it off to at least my shoulders. Last year I went real short and it was so easy to take care of, but I really liked my long hair. I am trying my best to let my top grow to match my long sides, but I am already wanting to cut them short again. You'll get use to it Becky, and just think how pretty it will be when it all growns back. :rolleyes: