Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately need some help

Hi guys,

I'm feeling a little scared and need someone to talk to me down off the ledge here. I am 5 days post-op and I'm not getting enough down. I am currently getting about 8oz of Water, 6 -8 oz of broth and less than 8 oz of Protein in. My doc said I need a bare MINIMUM of 48 oz of liquid a day. I'm not even close and I have to force the little bit of liquid I'm having. When he placed the band he said it was really loose and that I probably wouldn't have very much restriction (HAH!) but since the surgery I'm having a LOT of addominal swelling and I can't get anything in. My stomach is ENORMOUS. I'm down 20lbs and clothes that I wore before I lost the weight are too tight - that's how swollen I am right now.

Has anyone had this happen? I'm terrified as I'm self pay and I just don't have the money to have a lot of tests or take this out. I had a barium swallow and the barium went down okay - slow but okay. I just can't get things in. What am I going to do?

I'm trying so hard not to cry because I know that will only make it harder to get things in but I'm just frightened and sad.

I'm sorry you are having such difficulty. Have you called your doctor? That would be the very first place I would turn. Run, do not walk to the telephone and call the office. If you are only getting in about 24 ounces of Fluid a day for many days in a row, that's not good for your body. The swelling is different for everyone, some people have said their belly looked like they were pregnant again. Are you walking? How is your pain?

Call your doctor and then keep us updated, please.

I did call my doctor, I'm leaving in about 10 minutes for a 2pm appt (I live kinda far away). I am definitely really swollen. I look like I'm carrying triplets. And I'm 20 months pregnant.

Just so scared of what he's going to say. I'm shaking, I'm so nervous that it's something bad.

I am glad you called your doctor, please let us know how everything goes.

Try very hard not to be too nervous, your blood pressure will be through the roof. Do you have insurance of any kind? If so, they usually pay for emergent complications following surgery, even if they don't pay for the surgery itself.

These may very well just be some road bumps on your journey. You won't know for sure until you see him. I know it's somewhat silly for me to sit here and say "calm down" but that's what I'm doing. Do your best to calm down and relax, you have to drive safely and make it to the appointment. We'll be here when you get home and we'll be looking forward to hearing what he had to say.

<p>Hi Faith,</p> <p> </p> <p>Well I'm back in the hospital. Did another swallow and it was no better than when I was in the hospital 4 days ago. Goes down but really, really slow. Said they think it's just really swollen but it is odd for it to be so swollen 5 days post op. I'm on an IV for 24 hours and then I can go home. I was really dehydrated. After that I'm on Water only for 5 days and then I go back for another swallow. I'm trying so hard to be strong and not cry but I'm so scared this whole thing will be for nothing. All the money, all the time, effort, energy, pain - what if it's all for nothing and they have to take it out? I need to stop being such a baby and just focus on getting better. Hard to do though.</p> <p> </p> <p>But to show where my priorities are, because of all of this, I am down 9 lbs in 5 days. If this resolves itself in a few days I'll at least have a good jumpstart on my weightloss!</p>

Please dont be too scared, i was banded on 26th may & I can barely get 2 ounces a sitting down. I have 2 ounces of shake 10am, the same about 3pm, half a cup of Soup at 5pm, half a cup of hot choc at 10pm. i can manage 2 or 3 half a cup of tea during ther day & virtually no Water.

I am not uncomfortable about my intake & as long as you are not feeling light headed or sickly dont be too afraid.

Treat your band as a new child/pet & learn from its restrictions dont push 2 hard 2 soon.

Hope this helps xx:)

I just read the article, I hope all is well, Davies said some pretty good stuff and I agree 100%. Everything will work out for the best, keep looking for the silver lining, start with the fact that you were able to pay for the surgery, then look at the fact that you came through with minimal complications, then focus on the fact that you have jump started your weight loss and now you've gathered enough courage to go to the hospital, which means is all going to get better from this point on. As someone else stated check with your insurance company to see what they cover and do one more, give the hospital your insurance information and let them process the claim for payment. Keep your spirits up and everything will work out fine. We are here for you. Keep us posted.

Hi there,

I was banded 3 weeks ago and I feel like I have little restriction. I wish I felt like you. I wonder why the stark difference? Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I am glad you went to see your doctor. I know how you feel as I, too, had a "different" recovery than most. I swelled so much from the surgery I couldn't get anything down. My swallow test showed I was plugged up tight so I ended up staying in the hospital an extra 4 days and getting two steroid shots to help with the swelling. All I could do was spit:eek:! I was also throwing up (PBing) a couple of times a day. After 5 days in the hospital my doctor declared I was OK and released me. I wasn't so sure as I know I still wasn't able to get liquids down, I was still spitting (some) and it was the Friday of a 3-day weekend (the doc was going skiing) so, like you I was very worried. I actually didn't get any liquids to go down for 4 more days and then finally some hot tea did the trick. Even then it was slow going, lots of ice and some popsicles. I think the only reason I didn't get dehydrated is because I had been pumped full of IV fluids other wise I would have had to check into my local hospital for an IV (I am a 4 hour drive from my surgeon). I was very swollen and pretty miserable but there was not much I could do but wait it out. The doc had offered to replace my medium band for the bigger one but I decided I really didn't want to go for another surgery particularly since, according to him, it was just swelling and I should be ok eventually. All in all, I was off work for two weeks (one longer than I was planning on) and then half days for a week (I was kind of tired:rolleyes). I continued to improve, I am just fine now :Dand am glad it is behind me.:faint:

So, keep your chin up, make sure you don't get dehydrated and have confidence all will work out. I have since lost 45 lbs. and couldn't be happier about that.

Good Journey,

Terri

I am glad you went to see your doctor. I know how you feel as I, too, had a "different" recovery than most. I swelled so much from the surgery I couldn't get anything down. My swallow test showed I was plugged up tight so I ended up staying in the hospital an extra 4 days and getting two steroid shots to help with the swelling. All I could do was spit:eek:! I was also throwing up (PBing) a couple of times a day. After 5 days in the hospital my doctor declared I was OK and released me. I wasn't so sure as I know I still wasn't able to get liquids down, I was still spitting (some) and it was the Friday of a 3-day weekend (the doc was going skiing) so, like you I was very worried. I actually didn't get any liquids to go down for 4 more days and then finally some hot tea did the trick. Even then it was slow going, lots of ice and some popsicles. I think the only reason I didn't get dehydrated is because I had been pumped full of IV fluids other wise I would have had to check into my local hospital for an IV (I am a 4 hour drive from my surgeon). I was very swollen and pretty miserable but there was not much I could do but wait it out. The doc had offered to replace my medium band for the bigger one but I decided I really didn't want to go for another surgery particularly since, according to him, it was just swelling and I should be ok eventually. All in all, I was off work for two weeks (one longer than I was planning on) and then half days for a week (I was kind of tired:rolleyes). I continued to improve, I am just fine now :Dand am glad it is behind me.:faint:

So, keep your chin up, make sure you don't get dehydrated and have confidence all will work out. I have since lost 45 lbs. and couldn't be happier about that.

Good Journey,

Terri

Terri, I swear that God sent this message to me. No one had any of the issues that I have had and I just feel so alone. I'm completely tearing up right now!

My surgeon came in about an hour ago and said he wants to put the bigger band in tomorrow. I just cannot afford that and emotionally I can't wrap my head around doing it again. Your message inspired me so much. So I will take the 3 bags of Fluid they have attached to my IV and hope it keeps me going long enough for the swelling to go down. Hopefully, the surgeon will think that's okay! Thank God I have such a great surgeon too. He, and his staff have been so amazing. The hugs, the reassurance - just amazing people. Plus, all the nurses I had last week came in to say hi and chat a bit. I'm so lucky to have chosen this program/hospital.

Thank you all, so much. I really don't know what I would do if it wasn't for all of you. Your support and kind words are really helping me through this incredbly difficult time. You are all truly amazing people

Please dont be too scared, i was banded on 26th may & I can barely get 2 ounces a sitting down. I have 2 ounces of shake 10am, the same about 3pm, half a cup of Soup at 5pm, half a cup of hot choc at 10pm. i can manage 2 or 3 half a cup of tea during ther day & virtually no Water.

I am not uncomfortable about my intake & as long as you are not feeling light headed or sickly dont be too afraid.

Treat your band as a new child/pet & learn from its restrictions dont push 2 hard 2 soon.

Hope this helps xx:)

Thanks, it actually does. I was banded just 2 days before you and I'm having about the same as you now. I'm up to about 24 oz per day, mostly Water. The NP said she wanted me on no less than 48 oz. I'm going to try the tea in the morning, I'm hearing that warm stuff might go down better. The broth doesn't seem to help but I hate broth so maybe it's psychological. I love tea so what the heck.

Good luck to you. I hope we both are less restricted really soon. At least we know what an "overfill" feels like!

Wait, if the doctor put in too small of a band for you, then I would think the doctor should eat the cost of putting in the small band and reband you with the larger band. After all it was his mistake to put in the small one, see it was very tight, and then close you up.

I would bring that up to him. After all it's your body. If you leave too tight of a band in, the chances are much higher of an erosion or dilating your pouch above the band because things won't go down, of developing problems with your esophagus because of PBing or sliming, etc.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting treatment, though. I hope you continue to improve quickly!

hee hee dont we ever!!

I rarely drink cold drinks a i find them really obvious to swallow if you know what i mean. try warm drinks, i have tea, peppermint tea, Soup & hot chocolate, remember I live in england so i need my Hot Drinks for warmth, lol.

If i have a sore mouth sugar free icepoles or popsicles are gr8 & they also have about 1oz Fluid, better than nothing eh.

keep smiling

Cyndilou,

I am glad I could help. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It took about two weeks for my swelling to go down which is what my doctor had predicted.

faithmd- My doctor offered to replace my band with a bigger one and while he did say he would not charge me there would still be the hospital and anesthesia costs (which are the biggest part of the total cost).

Good Journey,

Terri