Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I do have a concern around the show My 600 Pound Life, in that if too many of them fail, and the same goes for us as a community, how long until insurance carriers stop covering the procedures due to public opinion seeing this as a short term solution due to regain. I look at my sleeve as a gift that insurance covered, as without my insurance I would not have been able to afford all the pre-testing, surgeon fees , nutritionist visits, hospital stay, etc., and I feel that I must succeed and not regain in order to not jeopardize future coverage for others who need these procedures to survive. Sorta a pay it forward mentality.

Doctor on the staff- statement that they all did it the right way - didn't take the easy way of weight loss surgery

@@Sharpie

OMG

i saw and heard when the doc said the above

my mouth totally dropped :o

i couldn't believe he said that :angry:

oh on The Veiw about 10 days ago

the bariatric doc and rosie were talking about the sleeve

the doc actually said that you will no longer be hungry (as in never!! :o )

other stuff too i can't remember

since i've lost my weight

my memory has gotten worse :lol:

or did it

what did i say again, i don't remember :D

i find it sad that its said about 90% of people regain their weight (biggest loser) :(

just don't like to think that people could go through sooooo much

only to gain the weight back

when i realized some people that had WLS also gained, oh no!!!!

maintaining two+ years at goal :)

am i great or what!! ;) :D

i do like watching my 600 lb life

biggest loser too, but sometimes things are obviously too scripted

welllll....gotta get ratings :wacko:

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Not a fat person show, but Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta had another WLS bride on this week. She had a very hard for time seeing herself objectively.

Edited by Inner Surfer Girl

OMG I was on Facebook tonight on the bariatric support group and Paula Rubin Jones friended me. She is the lady from 600 lb life who was featured on the show recently. She had los her husband and was 574 lbs . she is the one who kept dying her hair green and yellow etc. She looks marvelous. She was just approved for skin surgery so hopefully her follow up show will air after that. She has come so far, she is now under 200 lbs. I think she had by pass but doesn't matter what WLS you have when you can overcome so many things and come out a much healthier person you have won. I am in awe of her and the others on that show . When I feel down because I can't get my last few lbs off I should be ashamed cause they all have had a much more difficult time than me.

The "Pauline" episode on My 600 Pound life turned into another "unsuccess" story. She has so many parallels to Penny. It was an excellent example of what will/can happen if you do not follow directions, do not deal with the mental/psychological issues, and expect the surgery to magically fix you.

I cannot fathom the "pressure" of being on reality TV post weight loss surgery with so many people watching. This is just another reason i intensely dislike these shows. It is freakshow circus like. I am very impressed by the ones that come through it successfully - not sure I could.

I agree. I am someone who would never expose my personal life on TV. But sad to say, there are some people (not everyone on these shows, but a few) who seem to crave any kind of attention. From what I gather online, this is not Pauline's first experience with reality TV/tabloids. It's very sad, but yet I still watch -- I have learned a lot about myself and the process by their willingness to be on these kinds of shows. I just wish they offered more depth and more practical education.

Last night's episode was very frustrating. I thought the psych interview was to try to root out people who were not realistic about what they were getting into. Although Pauline seemed prior to surgery, to understand exactly why she was so large and what she needed to do to turn that around.

I feel badly for her son. She has crippled him and if that's not child abuse, I don't know what is. That last video of them together at the Bingo parlor was very telling. He's already lost as far as I'm concerned. And when Pauline dies...and it may be quite soon, he's going to be totally unmoored.

I have watched most of the 600lb life shows as well as big fat fabulous. I like them both. They remind me where I came from and have shed some light on my own journey, which may be the intent of the shows. I did find the show last night really difficult to watch. The woman was using her grown son as her personal valet. He looked miserable and sad. She was mostly delusional in regards to her goals. That one gave me zero insight.

expect surgery to magically fix you.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

i just saw that too

Pauline wouldn't do anything for herself post op

wouldn't even walk after surgery in the hospital!!

fooled herself by saying she thought she was doing well

annoyed with docs expectations :angry:

eating terribly :angry:

refused to go to PT

denied they even called her

her son is doing whatever he is told

caretaker - has to wash his mom!!!

i don't think he can take a normal job because he has to stay with his mom

being trapped in the house for her :angry:

he is 21, but this is a form of child abuse :angry:

"might sound crazy"

but maybe if he just leave her

she would have to "get it together"

call for assistance etc

maybe she needs to take the consequences of her chosen life

maybe then she will get more serious about her life

have no alternative

she even admits she feels bad for her son

she is unintentionally killing him

he's also heavy

who knows, maybe he is just constantly gaining weight too

following his mothers foot steps because he doesn't how how else to live :huh:

just sitting around because he can't have a normal ife,

doesn't see any people most of the time

bingo??

he can't even leave his mothers side to talk to anyone :(

he must have mental issues/problems that should be released

but who can he talk to??

very sad, very sad :mellow:

her food addiction is slowly but surely killing her

i can't imagine being at her weight :(

she knows she must lose weight, but.........

oh well

maybe i'm being too harsh about her son leaving

but presently there are 2 lives being destroyed

maybe he can still save himself

kathy

I am officially addicted to 600 lb life .. watched last night, new episode I believe the lady was 673 lbs. She was unbelievable in her denial . Even after bypass surgery she refused to walk and her poor 21 year old son had to take care of her.

She would not even go to physical therapy or have the therapist come to her. It was sad to see how she was her own worst enemy. I know we all sabotage ourselves in some way and I even do that too. I think Dr. Nowzaden (sp) gave up on her. I will be interested to see if there is a follow up.. Paula by the way is doing great. She has lost 350 lbs and has continued to exercise and eat well.

Liz I was wondering the same thing, surely they had to know beforehand that this woman was not stable She is whiney and full of excuses . Just like Penny, she has all the answers no matter what the Dr told her she was going to do it her way. So far it doesn't look like that is working for her. Sad to see and yes her poor son is the real victim.

Last night's episode was very frustrating. I thought the psych interview was to try to root out people who were not realistic about what they were getting into. Although Pauline seemed prior to surgery, to understand exactly why she was so large and what she needed to do to turn that around.

I feel badly for her son. She has crippled him and if that's not child abuse, I don't know what is. That last video of them together at the Bingo parlor was very telling. He's already lost as far as I'm concerned. And when Pauline dies...and it may be quite soon, he's going to be totally unmoored.

... big fat fabulous ...

I love Whitney. She's not all "woe is me" like a lot of the people on these kinds of shows.

Of course, the people on these shows who've had WLS and don't lose weight should never have had the surgery.

So why did they have WLS?

Because they were paid to have surgery. Why was that? Because the producers wanted to design a schadenfreude freak show that outrages viewers, which increases ratings.

FTR, the producers of these shows have NO other motivation than to make money. Everything that happens on these shows and in viewers' responses is aligned with that simple goal. That is all. There's no "educational value," no "motivational value," no higher purpose at all.

And worst of all, these awful shows propagate the myths that those who have WLS have to weigh 500 pounds or more pre-op, suffer from extreme, untreatable psychological pathologies, or are just plain weird. Think about it: What proportion of the people on this board resemble the WLS patients on those shows?

Sheesh!

I think Whitney does have a good attitude. She is dancing and staying positive. I would love to see her get either wls or get on a good nutritional path. I love her Mother, Babs is hysterical. I think now that Whitney is faced with diabetes she may have to get serious about losing .

I love Whitney. She's not all "woe is me" like a lot of the people on these kinds of shows.