Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I already need support on Day 2

So ok, I am having my lap bad surgery on 11-01-04 and I'm on day 2 of my pre-surgery diet. I started the Protein Shakes yesterday and pretty much gagged due to the horrible taste. I can do the small meals I am required but after drinking those shakes I don't think I can have this surgery. Can you believe a nasty shake will change my mind completely about this surgery. I had pretty much talked myself out of this surgery by lunch so I lunch I went and purged on anything in sight. My demon of choice today was all of the bad things at Boston Market. I have completely indulged myself and I'm sitting here after lunch miserable and sick with myself. I am so obsessed with food that I have having these second thoughts of how I am not going to be able to have the things I love so dearly in life after the procedure is done. Did anyone else have this problem and is it too late to keep trying with the pre-surgery diet?? Now that I am full and know that this obsession is the reason I am having this surgery makes me want to have it now. Did anyone else have second thoughts??

Thanks, Kim

Kim,

Follow the pre-op diet as best as possible. I was one of the lucky ones and my doctor didn't require a pre-band diet even though I was really heavy. I don't think it will be the end of the world if you flub up once or twice. Try a different shake if that one tastes so bad. There are plenty of fairly good ones out there. The liquid diet doesn't seem quite so terrible after surgery but I am sure the pre-band one is worse feeling. Best wishes and hope you don't give up. No, I do not have any second thoughts. I am down 68 lbs and thrilled every day. Teresa

It's good to know people do fine without having a pre-surgery diet. I feel much better and hope today wont happen again. Way to go on the weight loss!! I'm excited all over again reading this website!

Thanks, Kim

Kim-

It's perfectly normal to have doubts and to be scared. It probably means that you have realized what a change this is going to be in your life and change is often times very, very frightening.

As far as the pre-surg diet goes- can you look at taking it one meal at a time? Also- set a daily goal for yourself and then give yourself a reward- maybe it's a long distance phone call to a friend that normally you think is too expensive it make, buy a magazine that you normally just glance at in the store. Do something that can help you think positively about the experience and that gets you excited. I had to do this A LOT in the beginning because I thought I was going to go crazy without food and the depravation of the pre and post op diet is exactly what triggers my obsession. I earned for myself a couple of magazine subscriptions, a beautiful ring, and a pair of pearl earrings...along with a lot of little things. It's kind of hard at first to find non- food rewards...but once you start looking you'll see little things that you will now be able to afford from your left over food budget!

Another piece of advice I have for when you find yourself falling off the wagon- which EVERY ONE of us does...don't be hard on yourself. This is a learning process and the only way to learn is by making mistakes.

Megan

Kim, remember this is only a temporary stage that you're going through - in preparation for a livechanging Band. It is definitely worth it!! You will still be able to eat - just about anything that you desire. You'll just eat a whole lot less and feel satisfied when you do eat.

Your whole world is about to open up and you are going to find so many wonderful things out there to do that you never even considered. Things that are NOT food related. Since my banding, I've discovered I love bicyling. I also just got back from 4 and 5 hour hikes in Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park. I would have never even thought about these things, let alone take part in them.

Please try to take this one day, one meal at a time. That's how it's given to us. Our weight problems and poor eating habits didn't happen overnight. But we can retrain ourselves, with the aid of our band to a healthier and happier lifestyle. We all mess up, but the good news is that we don't have to give up and we get a fresh start "tomorrow".

Hang in there! You can do this!

Absolutely find a Protein drink you don't mind drinking, unless your doctor has prescibed one. I used unjury from Unjury.com and Isopure liquid, it looks like koolaid. They cost more, but I can drink them. I tried several kinds before surgery.

Call your doctor's office and tell them about your troubles. They are there to help you with this. You may need to work on your feelings more than anything.

Difficulties are part of the process. Do the best you can and that should be good enough.

I tried the Lean Body brand of Protein Drink the other day and it was really good! Not many are, but it was actually pretty good tasting and had like 30g of Protein in it. I've also bought the Body Tech whey protein and it's pretty good also. I just mix it with Water for Breakfast and haul it to work with me.

Oh, Kim, don't give up on getting the band. We've all goofed up at some point. (I write this just after eating half a caramel apple with chocolate and peanuts, and I keep repeating to myself that it's OK.)

It IS hard to find decent-tasting stuff. I liked EAS's Myoplex shakes in the orange and berry flavors; the chocolate flavor was nasty, though. Just do the best you can. "One meal at a time" is a good suggestion, just like AA's "One day at a time."

Hang in there. You're going through what's probably the worst part of the process; you're being asked to strictly limit your food intake before you've been given the tool of the band to help. Not fun. If you have serious misgivings about getting banded, that's one thing -- but if you're just having a hard time dealing with the pre-op diet, don't despair; that's perfectly normal. It gets easier.

Let us know how you're doing. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm bi-polar or something...I have completely been able to change my outlook on this with all of your and my family and friends support. I talked to my doctor who prescribed the shake and luckily after the surgery I can pick my own kind of shakes. Since I really love the pre-made Atkins shake it seems I will live through the rest of the week and a half after all. I am taking it one day at a time, actually one meal at a time and I cut back to forcing down 1 awful shake a day. My husband got me some sugar free chocolate Syrup to help me get it down. Not AS bad, but still gagging it down. 10 days left and counting until my surgery and now I can't wait. Thanks to everyone again!

Kim

I use Diet Revolution from GNC. The guy at GNC said his customers say it tastes good. I tried it & it does.

Never give up. It's totally normal to freak out before surgery. I was supposed to be on a low calorie diet for a week, but I was only good for a couple days. I binged instead. Right after surgery I felt too gross to eat. I wasn't ready to eat anything for at least a week. Right after getting banded, I was afraid to eat. It was fear and discomfort that kept me from eating, which is what started me on my way to 60 pounds of fat loss. Keep your chins up (haha, I can say that cause I have several chins.)

To help with choking down the Protein, I use a small food chopper, or blender and fill it with ice, then add enough shake to just cover the ice, and make it like a shake... I feel like it's a little easier to get them down, and it helps to get my Water intake up. 2 for 1 kind of thing... I found slimfast's new lo-carb shakes at Walmart, and they have 20g of protein too, along with a nice host of other nutrients, potassium etc... I like the milk chocolate and the vanilla but can't drink either very well right out of the can. I have to blend them with ice.

Hi there,

Although my Dr did not have me on a Liquid Protein type diet before my surgery I tried to do it because I see so many others on this board were advised by their Dr's. to do so. I know what you mean as far as how nasty most of em' are! After my surgery, what I found to be the most helpful way to do this was to buy Protein Powder from Wal-Mart in the Vitamin section. They have vanilla chocolate mocha etc... I got the vanilla and made my own drinks in the blender. This way they are as thick or thin as you want, and they taste like a regular milkshake/smoothie! I am not kidding!!

I would put frozen fruit in the blender, add a few ice cubes, half of a banana, some O.J. (or skim milk), the 2 scoops of pwdered Protein, a bit of low-fat vanilla yougurt abd BLEND away! They are truly awesome, economical, and interchangeable. You can use strong coffee (decaf), and the vanilla powder, ice cubes and fat free cream and you have a frozen cappacino drink! If the pre-made stuff is gaggafying, try this and save a bunch of money for a nice day at the hair salon to feel great before you have your surgery!! You can do it girl........and we are right here for ya! Been there done that...!! And--- don't worry, you are not about to have to give up anything...you just eat it in much smaller quantities, because you are fuller faster! You definetly want to re-vamp the way you have been eating and go for more protein and healthier side dishes....veggies etc. But, when the need arises to feast on an old friend....go ahead and have a bite....you won't need much more than that and after a bit, you won't want to deviate from your new and good foods! It's just a good feeling knowing that the chocolate bar CAN be eaten if you need it!!! Good Luck......you CAN DO IT!!!