Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post-op and feeling awful! Please help.

Hello everyone! I had my gastric sleeve done on Jan. 6. I am now in the pureed stage of the post-op diet. I find it so hard to get anything down without pain in my stomach. I have ZERO energy. I am having body aches and an awful headache. I will say that I am only getting in about 45-50 ozs of Water a day and maybe 40 grams of Protein. It is just so hard to get in anymore. All I want to do is sleep. Please tell me this is all normal and it will get better. I am feeling so discourged right now.

Christina

At two weeks I could hardly make it to 50 Oz and may be around 30g Protein, at 6 weeks I can take 50OZ with effort. It does get better with time. I did not have pain in my stomach though, you might need to check with your surgeon. AT 2 weeks post-op visit my surgeon did tell me of different types of pain. Its mainly due to remnant stomach adjusting.

The first two weeks is tough. It will get better. I slept so much in the beginning

and I guess I needed it but now 3 weeks out I have more energy. I am surprised you are at pureeds already but I guess it different with everyone. Hang in there and with time it gets better. Lisa

It should get better. I had a rough time for the first several weeks as well, because every time I swallowed (be it Water or "food"), I got this constriction in my esophagus that was very painful and uncomfortable. I "ate" on a schedule and tried to just get as much water as I could possibly stand, but it was pretty miserable and I really felt like crap, especially when I had to go back to work at 15 days post-op. Hang in there, though!. I'm almost 20 weeks post-op and I feel fine now. I would say I feel "normal" 99% of the time. The only time I get any discomfort at all now is when I eat too fast. And my energy level is much better (though I would say I'm still not to pre-surgery levels of energy because I'm eating about 1/3 as many calories as I used to!).

Thanks for the advice. I did start back to work on Tuesday so I am hoping that maybe the body aches and stuff are just from that. Did anyone have nausea really bad? I get that all throughout the day. Even if I haven't eaten anything. My doctor says it is all normal and part of the process. I didn't relalize the process was going to suck this bad at first.

Hi.

Keep your chin up, it will get better I promise. When I first joined this group, I realized that we all went through the same process the first few weeks. I, too, had absolutely NO energy but wanted to do things around my house. I actually cried a whole day because it is not like me to just lye around and do nothing.

A co-worker I use to work with came to my rescue and let me know what I was feeling was normal. The pain, the not feeling hunger, the no energy, and yes, feeling like I should have not done the surgery.

Today I am 2 months out and feel terrific. I still do not have an urge to eat, but I do eat every 2 hours about 2 oz of Protein. I try to get my Water in, but it fills me up to quickly. I even take sips not gulps.

You will get over this hump and then you will enjoy your journey to a new you.

Any time you want to talk, you can on here and everyone listens. But always remember, do what YOUR surgeon states. Every state is different in the ways that the surgery should be done afterwards.

Annamarie

Sounds like you're doing well. You might want to keep taking the tummy pills they probably gave you in the hospital. I take Protonix (generic=Pantoprazole) and it really helps. But when my first prescription ran out and I stopped taking them, my stomach got really uncomfortable. But 45 ounces and 40 grams after 2 weeks? I'm proud of you!

Edited by Rogofulm

I feel the same way ; i was sleeved 12/30/14 and I am having a hard time just adjusting to when i should eat ; what i should eat ; and how much . Sometimes I feel i am eating too much and sometimes i feel i am not eating enough . I am nervous because I have a goal of being 190 by the summer time and I know its doable ; I just havent figured out how to make it happen . I currently am 318 and I see the nutritionist tomorrow . I just really been feeling sluggish ; Ive been sleeping a LOT and I'm like ugh ! ! Ive seen people lose over 20 lbs their first month and who look fantastic now and started off WAY bigger than i did ; i just REALLY wanna succeed . * sigh . So - i feel your pain .

At 2 weeks I was getting in 10-30 oz Water a day from the restriction and ended up in the hospital. Week 3 I felt a little dumpy - BUT week 4 and beyond was back to the new me ONLY more energetic and happy!

Good Luck - hang in there. Sounds normal to me.

So I ended up going to the ER lat night. Seems I was very dehydrated. My blood pressure was very low but my heart rate was high. I was running a mild fever. They did CT scans, blood work, urine sample, and an x-ray where I had to drink some horrible liquid. They were making sure I didn't have a leak. Everything came back fine except for the dehydration. So they gave me a couple bags of Fluid. I feel a little better today. Trying to push liquids because I do not want to end up feeling like that again.

Oh no! Hopefully now that you're rehydrated you'll start to feel better. It can be a vicious cycle with the nausea and the dehydration that makes you nauseous and feel like you don't want to drink...