Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Monthly visitor during surgery

I can't find the ladies only area, so sorry guys - look away ;)

My surgery is tomorrow. My period looks like it's coming on time, tomorrow most likely. Will I be allowed to wear a tampon during surgery? Will I be able to tend to it post-op (meaning, will I physically be able to reach down or will it hurt my incisions?) it will probably not be full flow tomorrow so that's a blessing.

TIA ladies :)

Hi there, I fretted over whether I'd get my period and did not after all but I was told not to worry if so....and the anesthesia may slow things down? Sure does slow down the other systems so be sure to address any Constipation issues. I didn't use pain meds but still had this trouble at day four or so. What kind of a surgery are you having? I am banded and had several incisions. I didn't have any difficulty with anything except bending -- keeping the trunk straight helped, and lots of walking. Good luck to you tomorrow and ways I go addressing your health issues. Choosing yourself first benefits every one ultimately.

Sorry, that's Way to go! I can't edit on my iPad.

I had my period during surgery. Not only did they let me leave my tampon in, my doctor let me leave on my underware. Changing tampons after was a little uncomfortable, but not enough to ever even consider asking for help! Good luck!

I haven't had weight loss surgery yet, but I did have gallbladder surgery 3 years ago right as my monthly cycle began to start. It's the same type of abdominal laparoscopic surgery and is not a problem. My nurse told me surgeons do it all the time unless they are working on your reproductive system.

They will not let you wear a tampon, you should not have anything foreign in or on your body but they will provide you a maxi pad. Make sure you let them know beforehand. It wasn't a problem for me with getting around or taking care of my personal needs and it did slow down the flow. Hope this helps.

Thanks ladies!! I guess I'll bring my tampons for after surgery and *hope* they let me leave it in for the surgery although a few hours without it, if the flow isn't really here yet, shouldn't make a big mess :/

I'm getting RNY :)

I had mine starting a few days before surgery and they didn't allow tampons or underwear, but they put a big absorbent pad under me on the bed and it was just fine. It honestly was the last thing on my mind post op even though I stressed about it before. The nurses are used to it and it did seem to slow down for a day or two. You'll be just fine!

My period started when I had just checked in about an hour before my surgery! They said no tampons but they gave me a lovely giant diaper and mesh undies. I was stylin'!

It was a hassle and painful getting up to change the pad in the first day after surgery but otherwise no problem. I think a tampon would have been more difficult to deal with.

Edited by Gilmour

I survived! They gave me these stylish stretchy boy shorts undies (seriously heads and tails better than the mesh ones i was given when i had my son lol!!) and a giant pad. Post surgery when I woke up that was the first thing I asked about, once I was lucid. Nurse said no worries, she changed it for me when I got out of surgery (mortified!) no big deal it's all good and happens often.

When I got up for my first walk that night I went into my bathroom to clean up and try to put in a tampon - no problems :)

Glad everything is going good for you

I can't find the ladies only area, so sorry guys - look away ;)

My surgery is tomorrow. My period looks like it's coming on time, tomorrow most likely. Will I be allowed to wear a tampon during surgery? Will I be able to tend to it post-op (meaning, will I physically be able to reach down or will it hurt my incisions?) it will probably not be full flow tomorrow so that's a blessing.

TIA ladies :)

i was on the tail end of my cycle and wore a pad/panties with no issues..i told my dr and he said he was a dr and this was not unknown to him LOL

all is well i am sure