Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Did You Choose Your Specific Type of Weight Loss Surgery?

Why Did You Choose Your Specific Type of Weight Loss Surgery?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How did you decide which surgery to get? If you haven’t had surgery yet, how are you making your decision?

• My insurance only covers one type – read my answer below to find out which kind.
    • I was too “small” to qualify for bypass or sleeve, so the lap-band was my best option.
    • I chose the lap-band because it is adjustable; maybe I’ll become pregnant or get sick and need to eat extra food sometime in the future.
    • I got the gastric sleeve because I’m a heavier patient and this was a lower-risk choice.
    • I got the gastric bypass because of the restrictions on sugary foods.
    • I chose my surgery based on the complication rates and expected weight loss. See which one I chose in the discussion below!
    • I have revisional weight loss surgery. Read what happened and why I got it converted in the discussion below!
    • Other. See my choice and reasons in the discussion below!

I chose the gastric sleeve because I needed something to help me stop over eating. I know that you have to be the one in control, but this will help control me! I also have been very sick, and am still sick. The gastric sleeve had less serious complications for me. I also feel it will aid me in a healthier relationship with food! :P :D

I chose lapband because my doctor suggested it and it was less invasive with impressive weight loss. Also; because I had to pay out of pocket, it was less expensive. I do not regret it!!

I chose Gastric Bypass Roun-Y because I have so much weight to loose and wanted to have the hope of getting off my diabetic medications and plus I have severe gerd (acid reflux) and the sleeve would not help with that problem. I had a failed lap-band that slipped and had to be removed after 8 years of pain and misery. So this time I decided to go with the by-pass.

I originally chose lapband in 2008 (self pay) lost all my excess weight and stayed at goal until January of 2014. My band eroded.. I then chose to be revised to RNY Bypass in May of 2014. I didn't want to have to get another wls surgery (I checked on here and saw the revision from sleeve to bypass forum and knew I only wanted one last surgery). I had to gain 50 pounds to be eligible for the revision. I have since lost 75 pounds. I am doing fantastic and damn I wish I had done the bypass first. Reasons why: 1. I was self pay for both 2. I

Haven't thrown up once with bypass 3. I can eat anything I want just in very small portions 4. No sliming 5. I can eat Breakfast with no issues. 6. I can gulp Water 8. I don't feel hungry 9. I can eat healthy food easily and now I can have 1 cookie and be satisfied. Love my RNY bypass!!! The only downfall to the RNY so far has been I really don't drink alcohol anymore.. It goes right to my head.. But honestly it's a minor downfall lol

Wanted the least invasive procedure available and wanted to be able to reverse it if needed and only the lapband met that criteria. Had to lose at least 100 lbs. and my PCP wanted me to get bypass. I spoke to the bariatric surgeon and she said I could lose 100+ lbs. with the lapband so I went ahead with it. I've lost 150 lbs. and I weigh less than my PCP now. :lol:

I went with Gastric Sleeve because:

*Did not want a malabsorbtive procedure

* I did not like the idea of my intestines rearranged

*My surgeon did not recommend the lap-band

I chose the bypass because it was the one with the most research and proven results. I also had multiple friends who got the same one. I also wanted one that would make it harder for me to gain back the weight! (Even though I am changing the way I eat and choices I make)

seemed like so many revisions from lap-band people to sleeve, so I never considered having a lap-band, plus I didn't want something surgically implanted in me and the need for several repeated tweaking/tuning visits did not sound fun. bypass seemed very intense and requirements for lifetime supplements and higher potential for gastric dumping didn't sit well with me. I chose the sleeve and have been very happy. whatever you choose is great, not looking for debate, just sharing my thought process. cheers!

I chose VSG.

I didn't choose RNY because:

• I didn't like the additional potential for leaks associated with RNY. The more they disconnect and reconnect, the more chances there are for leaks.
  • I REALLY didn't like the idea of the bypassed part of my stomach still just sitting inside me. What if I got ulcers or had other issues with that old stomach? Not being able to reach it with a normal endoscopy scared me.
  • I wanted to eventually be able to eat whatever I wanted, just in smaller quantities. This was especially important for me in a social context, being able to eat at a party without having to bring my own special food or eat ahead of time.

I didn't choose Lapband because:

• I was self-pay and wouldn't be able to necessarily afford regular follow-up for fills and adjustments.
  • The idea of erosion TERRIFIED me.
  • I couldn't see how I could possibly keep that thing inside me for the rest of my life. I'm only 35, so I couldn't see how that could realistically be inside me for another 60 years or whatever.
  • I was a little worried about the port "poking out" once I lost weight. I'd seen some pictures where you could clearly see the port protruding out, underneath the skin, like an extra bone.

No single type of weight loss surgery is right for everyone. Choices like the adjustable gastric band, gastric bypass, and gastric sleeve each have their pros and cons. How did you decide which surgery to get? If you haven’t had surgery yet, how are you making your decision?

• My insurance only covers one type – read my answer below to find out which kind.
  • I was too “small” to qualify for bypass or sleeve, so the lap-band was my best option.
  • I chose the lap-band because it is adjustable; maybe I’ll become pregnant or get sick and need to eat extra food sometime in the future.
  • I got the gastric sleeve because I’m a heavier patient and this was a lower-risk choice.
  • I got the gastric bypass because of the restrictions on sugary foods.
  • I chose my surgery based on the complication rates and expected weight loss. See which one I chose in the discussion below!
  • I have revisional weight loss surgery. Read what happened and why I got it converted in the discussion below!
  • Other. See my choice and reasons in the discussion below!

Mark your answer, and feel free to explain it in the conversation below. We want to know what you think about the different types of weight loss surgery!

alex, as you know, i went in wanting the lap band...but my dr raised his eyes at me and my super morbid size and tried to get me to have the bypass..i was soo scared...no idea why..cutting my stomach probably.....ANYHOW, he told me about the plication and how it could help me BUT stressed (and continues to stress) that unless i help it and myself..no WLS could or would work for me

my military ins did not approve the sleeve or ds at the time so that was out...and after seeing doubt in his eyes about me wanting the band esp at my size, it spurred me on to do what i know i needed to do...to be able to wipe my butt again...my main reason (and also that was i becoming a grandmother) to have WLS...

i feel any WLS is fantastic..do/get what works best for you and your doctor...

but keep in mind any WLS can have issues...and any WLS can never

have any issues whatsoever..its not a for sure thing. its major freeking surgery. and YES it is painful at times...its not overnight and no it wont solve your (i am hungry issues) that is mainly head hunger btw (stay busy and get your mind off diet thinking)..eat if truly hungry .........BUT expect what you get out of it by what you PUT into it..

and that is all i had to say on your post alex.

except GO HEELS

If not for the sleeve I would have never considered WLS. I don't believe in causing malabsorption and rerouting digestion as in RNY. I respect other people's choices, it was just not for me. As for the band- having a port and the risk of slippage was enough to turn me off!

I chose to have a RNY Gastric Bypass because of my Diabetes. In November 2013, I had a bout of pancreatitis, that is terologistnow believed to have been caused by one of my Diabetes medications. In December2013, at an appointment with my endocrinologist, he told me that my chronic diarrhea was being caused by my other Diabetes medication.That was when gastric bypass surgery was first mentioned to me. A week later, my gastroenterologist also mentioned it to me as a solution to some of my medical problems.

I had my RNY on December 10, 2014 and am off both of my Diabetes medications. My fasting blood sugars now run in the low 70s.

For me, RNY was the tried and true victor of the three. My doctor never offered a suggestion on which wls I should consider but I had no problem making the decision because I've always gone with what has been proven successful over what I consider to be fads. I wanted to get it right the first time because I never want to undergo another surgery for weight loss. I do, however, have a love/hate relationship with "dumping syndrome". I hate it for the discomfort that it causes but I love that it doesn't allow me to keep down those foods that I shouldn't eat. I don't have any regrets at all.

My choice was Gastric Bypass because it gave me the best prognosis at:

1. Losing the 120 lbs I would like to lose

2. Preventing/reversing diabetes (was pre-diabetic)

3. Keeping me on a restrictive diet as to meal size and type (fat and sugar bio-feedback) too much sugar and/or fat causing dumping syndrome

4. Met a number of people doing revisions from Lapband and Sleeve at the various support group meetings I attended. Knowing myself I was sure this was it for me. Time was running out and I had to choose the Bypass as I was not prepared to do revisions.

But the fact that it is considered the gold standard in WLS was appealing to me. However, I hope we improve upon it very soon. It is a rather drastic procedure and I have no doubt a few years from now it will be considered barbarian. But I would go through it all over again for the enormous benefits I am already experiencing 11 weeks post surgery and 56 lbs gone.

I will be having my VSG in 04/2015, I chose it based on advice of my doctor. I have had previous belly surgeries which has caused much scar tissue, and my doctor felt that he might have difficulties with re-routing the intestine.