Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op stomach issue

Im 2 days post op. I'm getting a strange feeling in my stomach. I'm hoping someone else here can identify with. It comes In waves. It's a feeling of hunger/nausea that washes over the top of my stomach in a matter of seconds, then it passes. But it's constant. Every few minutes. What is this? Anyone else felt it? It doesn't stop when I drink or if I take nausea med. I can't figure out what it is but would feel much better without it. Thoughts?

Could be a lot of things, and if you are really concerned the best answers are always going to come from your doctor. But, that sounds like air bubbles moving around to me. I used to get that feeling a lot, and once my belly would growl it would go away. With the swelling right after surgery, it can be hard for the bubbles to gurgle around like they are supposed to so it turns into this odd feeling that is translated in your brain as "I need to throw up or eat something". It's odd, but that's what I've found it is.

Edited by georgiare

@@dad77 Are you taking a acid reducer? It could be acid.

@@dad77 You can or ask your surgeon for a prescription. My surgeon started me on a prescription strength as soon as I was discharged from the hospital. A lot of surgeons do because they know acid can be a big issue, our stomach is delicate and trying to heal. You can have acid causing ulcers ect..and not even feel It. Never hurts to ask.

We're all going to suggest you contact your surgeon, but your problem does sound a lot like reflux. Even if the reflux doesn't rise all the way up into your throat, doesn't mean it's not problematic.

If you're taking a PPI, sometimes the dose needs to be increased (either in miligrams or times per day), or may need to be changed to a different and stronger one entirely. Good luck!

@@dad77 I never found that taking something first was the best answer for me personally. I tried ginger tea and walking around, or laying at an incline with 4 or 5 pillows behind me are what usually helped. I was not on omeprazole after surgery, just the nausea meds (which I never took) and the lortab pain killer. You can try the gas x strips, doubt it could hurt anything and if it helps than great! Or, as most will say, you can call the doc and see if they recommend any other options.

@@georgiare, you've done quite well then. Surgeons typically put patients on a prescribed PPI after VSG to keep the stomach acid at bay - allowing the staple line to heal and minimize the chance of complications.

@@dad77 I have the same feeling!!! I'm 5 days post op n I'm on antacids. It's like a wave and it moves thru the tummy. Weird

A little off topic and not to hijack but my doctor does want me taking Prilosec OTC leading up to and after the surgery as well as Vitamins. How long after the surgery is it until can you take vitamins??? I mean physically swallow them..

I've experienced something similar and it was peristaltic muscle contractions of the sleeve. Can feel it significantly with crunchy foods or something that just doesn't agree with the sleeve. Also, things just feel weird and mostly crappy this soon in your sleeve journey. When in doubt or worry, talk to the surgeon.

I've experienced something similar and it was peristaltic muscle contractions of the sleeve. Can feel it significantly with crunchy foods or something that just doesn't agree with the sleeve. Also, things just feel weird and mostly crappy this soon in your sleeve journey. When in doubt or worry, talk to the surgeon.

I'm not on the food stage yet, still liquids but sometimes when I lay on my tummy I feel it or after I drink liquids so it could be the contractions from the sleeve. Thanks :)

@@OhSoNique that's exactly how it feels, like a wave. It's so odd but it's so overwhelming for a few seconds. Definitely increases the more I drink. I'm day three postop and not taking in as much liquid as I should. Yesterday I only took in 17 ounces but managed to get in 42 g of Protein. I'm going to concentrate on drinking more today and walking more. Thank you everyone for the feedback it so helpful to hear everyone else's experiences and just to know I'm not alone. If this wave of nausea feeling persists and then I'm gonna call my doctor in the morning. He did give me anti-nausea medicine but not an ant acid. I do have Nexium as a prescription that I usually take but now I can't swallow the capsule so I'm not taking anything.