Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want to diet before banding or pre-op diet. Is this normal?

Really?? Show me proof. I find it hard to believe that after the patient is asleep on the OR table, $10,000 of supplies have been opened and you have 2 ports already in your filled up belly, that they are going to cancel the surgery.

Let's not forget that when a patient has their appendix removed through the scope or someone is having a laproscopic colon resection or whatever laproscopic surgery, its always the same technique, the liver is held aside with a surgical tool, and THERE IS NO PREOP DIET. Espcially when they are doing a laproscopic appendectemy, since this is usually done as an emergency procedure.

I don't need to provide you with proof any more than I'm asking YOU to prove you know what you're talking about. There IS a difference between an *elective* surgery and something like an appendix removal or colon resection. But whatever...the only reason I replied to your post was because, in my opinion, you're doing a very BIG disservice to anyone who is pre-op, has a pre-op diet to follow, and is reading this thread. It's not easy doing the pre-op diet, and you're here saying "Oh, but you don't NEED to follow it."

It's like when people argue about drinking carbonated beverages or not. INAMED says NO. But people will come on the board LOOKING for a reason to ignore that...so when people say that they've been drinking carbonation for years, it doesn't help.

Sure, its always best to reduce fat around your organs, but what I am saying is that NO OTHER laproscopic surgery requires a pre op diet, so I think that this diet is mostly to get our bodies accustomed to eating a certain way. The liver is simply grabbed with a surgical tool and held aside by an assistant, it plays NO part in this surgery.

But Alysedg23, I think that's misleading. Almost everyone here reports having been advised -- pre-op -- that the liver needs to be smaller for this surgery and that they should follow eating rules to reduce the liver's size. The fact is that it's retracted for this surgery, and that can be dangerous. It's not as simple as just grabbing the liver with a tool, especially if it's enlarged and slippery with fat. It can rip easily and if you start bleeding from the liver, things can go south fast. If you look at human anatomy, part of the liver covers the stomach. Not so for the appendix and gall bladder.

http://www.bestcare-uk.com/images/colon_reflex_points.jpg

And those surgeries you mention are often done on an emergency basis anyway, so there’s not much time for a pre-op diet.

The pre-op diet is not necessarily just a way to get our bodies accustomed to eating a certain way. If that was true, why not start the diet more than 2 weeks before the procedure? I say all this and I didn't even have a pre-op diet, other than to cut out carbs, sugar and booze. The bottom line -- follow your doctor's orders!

I dislike it here when people have differences of opinion and someone demands proof. If someone has been told something by their surgeon and they share that info here, how can they possibly prove it? I have heard repeatedly that an extra fatty liver can mean you have to be cut open vs. have your surgery done laparoscopically. Can I prove that? No.

Hold on there Cinward, I never said, Oh, before having a band placed you dont need to follow a pre-op diet, who am I to tell others what to do?? Dont be putting words in my mouth, I dont appreciate that.

As far as my proof, just read some of these pages, there are many who havent followed a diet and are operated on, isnt that proof enough? As far as a patient being on the table and the surgeon looking at the liver and saying, uh no, I dont think this patient followed a diet, let's close her up, wake her up and send her home, what, 10,000 worth of supplies and etc wasted? It's okay, we'll just bill her insurance for it.... Now does that seem realistic?

And Again, I dont mind the pre op diet, cleansing your bowels before ANY colon surgery can never hurt..I never said I wasnt going to do it or discouraged anyone else from following it, I was simply stating my surgical experience.

My doc did not say they would not put in the band, he said that they may have to do an open procedure instead of lap if the liver is too fatty. Too dangerous to do it the lap way.

I was not perfect but it is a good head start as to what to expect after being banded!

I've tried - really tried to follow this blasted pre-op 2 week diet. I've had 3 major downfalls and one minor so that's 4 days out of the pre-op diet where I've failed. It's so darn hard for a food addict like myself to follow the cottage cheese/jell-o/yogurt crap. I do believe there are many benefits to having a less fatty liver - from a surgeon's point of view it's probably easier for him/her to move around in there and the recovery period can also be made easier if the liver is not bruised or touched too much. I'm no nurse or doctor but I do hope there are other people like me who've had downfalls and have been able to have the surgery. I've lost 10 lbs so far and this is day 7.

Do the best you can, Marcar. Based on your weight loss, it sound like you're doing pretty darn good.

Thank you all for trying to be supportive of my question and struggle. I see I am not alone here when I originally asked my question, if what I have experienced so far is somewhat normal out there. I didn't mean to cause a battle over whether or not a pre-op diet should or should not be followed. I will follow my doctor's orders. I think my thread is unraveling. My date gets set tomorrow and so I'll be starting my pre-op diet most likely tomorrow. Thank you all for letting me know your thoughts.

I Dont Know What To Do I Want food So Bad . I Know It Will Be Difrent When I Have It .im Scared Very Bad , I Have Eaten 1/3 Hambuger , Got Ridden Of The Rest From My Husband . I Dont Know What To Do????? Please Help . I Have Surgery 6/6/07 . Will I Be Ok?????

Oh goodness joshjakemommy, of COURSE you'll be okay. Take some time, read around here and get to know us, we're here to support one another. Just because you slipped up once in your pre-op does not mean there will be any problems at all, many many doctors do not require a pre-op diet at all. You are FINE. Relax and try to get back on track as soon as you can ;)

Wow do I hear ya. You sound just like me. I have surgery scheduled for July 9th, and Im living it up....Saying Ill stop soon, to lose 15 more by surgery date...The lap band WILL help. It works for many many people. If you follow through with fills .....

I don't mean to sound snarky, but if you are fearing the pre-op diet, what are you going to do once you are banded? It is not a miracle cure. You will feel full immediately after surgery and even later, you will probably have a higher degree of satiety than pre-op. But you won't be stuffed from Day 1. food will still be a demon for you.

Right now I have had one fill and my appetite / making good choices is definitely something I battle with daily. Banding is a process that involves a lot of tinkering before you hit the fill spot where you'll lose efficiently. While that's happening (and it takes time) many people can (and do) eat just about anything. So taking control of your eating is not just a phase that's limited to the pre-op period. Good luck to you. It's not easy. It's a huge mental chore.

My thoughts exactly. After healing, but before my first fill, I was able to eat pretty much anything, and had my last supper then so to speak. Even now, I can still eat a good variety, and can see that this is going to be more about making good choices than anything else if I want to see results. Sure, I could have another fill, and barely be able to eat anything, but that is not the way I want to live.

My Dr. did say that he has cancelled a surgerys if a patient gained even a pound between there first preop appt and the day of the surgery. He said part of the reason for preop was the liver, but also to see how motivated his patients really were.

Hopefull Loser, you will do great! Don't worry!! Just listen to YOUR surgeon!! This forum is a wonderful source of inspiration, and LOTS of opinions, but ultimately, you have to do what is best for you.

As for the OMG. . I have to go on a pre-op diet. . what will I do?? That sounds all too familiar!! The night before I started my pre-op diet (May 16th), I told my husband and my best friend how nervous I was! I know myself, and I'm a cheater!! Well, it's been two weeks now, and I haven't cheated once!! PLUS, I've lost 16.9 lbs in just two weeks!!! Verbalizing my fears made me more aware of what I was doing! It was a big decision to even have the surgery. If you can make that decision, you can handle the diet! Give yourself credit, and don't listen to the little white lies you tell yourself (otherwise known as your subconscience). Believe in yourself! You can do it!

My Doc requires a pre-opm diet - to lose 5% of your body weight before surgery. It is a lo carb high Protein diet. The reason is two fold....one that type of diet makes the liver shrink because it sits on top of the stomach -So the surgery is easier on you AND he wants to see that you can follow a diet - because to be successful after surgery - YOU MUST follow their instructions so you don't have problems and you don't gain weight. Carlotta

Thank YOU MichellYo for your encouragement! I had my last supper of thai food, and an appetizer of spring rolls, and a thai iced tea the other night. It was my real last last last final supper. The next day, and subsequent few days, it's been 5 Protein Shakes a day and a Lean Cuisine or equiv. I cheated bad the first day, having an extra full meal. I cheated not so bad the second day with candy. (Hey, just trying to be honest!) The third day was yesterday and I had allll day with my husband...so no cheating. I think I learned a trigger! Privacy!

Today is another day with the Hubby. He is outside mowing the lawn. I started to go through the cupboards as soon as he left the house....and I chose to make some iced tea and instead come read what ya'll have been up to instead of trying to find something to eat/sneak/pound into my body before someone notices.

Thank you all for this forum. If it just helped me today, I'd be grateful, but it's helped me for three months to not feel so 'out-there' in my mind and in my body.

800 calories a day for the two week pre-op diet is something to get used to, my gawd! I'm also hormonal at the same time. This is NOT a good time for my DH. :myscared: But he's supportive and we're trying to laugh about it. I'm sure I'm supplying him with a lot of good material to bring up later when I'm feeling more like myself.

Oh darlin' you are not the only one cheating....anyway, tomorrow is Monday and Mondays are the day to start diets, right?

Keep up the good work, a few little mind tricks I play with myself when I want to eat is this: 1) Think of yourself thin...and 2) When you want to eat something, wait 10 minutes and then talk yourself out of it. I find that the waiting makes me forget about it....

Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT....just make it happen!!