Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting pre-op diet and surgery prep next Monday!

I've got one week of food freedom, going to have a few food funerals and generally enjoy my last week of being fat. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Anyway. Pre op diet starts Monday. And with that comes TONS of housework to a) get my house super clean and organized before I go out of commission and B) take my mind off my growling belly ;)

Any tips for getting the house (and three kids and hubby!!) ready to fend for themselves for 4-5 days? I'm freaking out... Hubby isn't really up to the task so I want to make things as easy as possible. All laundry will be caught up, I will have the younger two outfits put together for a week's time. Aside from clothing, I can't figure out what else I can do? He doesn't cook, I am going to make a pot of chop suey and make sure we have Mac n cheese cups and plenty of bread and Nutella and fruit cups for the girls...

Any other helpful hints from mamas out there?

My pre op diet started last Tuesday. Before that for almost two months, I ate whatever I wanted that I knew I'd not be able to eat again. I put on 11 pounds but I didn't care. Since starting the pre op Protein Shake and Clear Liquids I've lost 9.6 pounds.

As for the hubs and kids, good question. Remember those wedding vows you took, "in sickness and in health"? There ya go, If your hubs is supportive of your surgery decision then he needs to step up his game and help out. Definitely buy things he can handle preparing for him and the kids. Depending on how old your kids are, give them little chores to help out. They can easily separate the colors of laundry, help set the table, bring mommy her Water, etc... Call them mommies little helpers and maybe give them a trip to a park when you're feeling up to it, give them some sort of prize or thank you for helping you and daddy out.

I hope this helps!

He's half way supportive. He still asks me if I'm sure, if he buys me a treadmill for the living room will that be better etc... He's naturally skinny and there isn't an ounce of fat or fat related disease in his family so I understand why he doesn't get it. That said, he's not unsupportive, just kind of "oh ok if you want to do this ok"... I'm not thinking he "gets" how major this really is, but I guess we'll find out.

He's also never lived on his own so never had to really do much of anything house or cooking related :P when I went in for my first c section, my son was 3 and we still lived near the in laws and they helped him out with DS. When I went in for my second c section the in laws moved up here to our basement for a week to help out (mind you I was only out of commission for not even a week) Now my FIL is dead, MIL doesn't drive and I am not even telling that side of the family about surgery so we have no outside help. Not that he should need it my kids are pretty self sufficient (12,8&3) only the youngest needs help with most everything.

I'm just freaking because I am a control freak and do it ALL from a-z taking care of them since im a SAHM its my job (agreed upon and enjoy 100%, it works for us ;) )

Anyway, I am going to work on jobs for the kids, that's a good idea! They have regular chores but I can definitely have them help more too!

Please keep in my mind, this is major surgery. Drill that into your hubs head and don't let him forget that this was in his wedding vows, in sickness and in health.

As for the control freak part... Cut yourself some slack, you need the downtime in order to heal. If you do too much too fast, you're going to kick yourself in the but for not taking it easy. It might only be a week or two and you'll be able to be the control freak again. Two weeks is nothing compared to the lifetime you will have with your kids, they deserve a happy and healthy mommy.

Good luck!

He will be as helpful as I need - I just don't think he gets it right now. But will once he sees me after surgery and talks w/ my surgeon.

Thanks for the support. I'm working on letting stuff go for now! Housework can wait!

Very true, the house work will still be there when you're read! My surgery is in less than 10 days. I'm getting just a little jittery. It's all worth it though!

I really cleaned and organized so all my hubby had to do was pick up. Then, our dishwasher broke!!! Ugh! I came home from the hospital to a mess of dishes on the sink. I went straight into my bedroom. My hubby hand washed everything and kept the house tidy my entire recovery. He mostly ate fast food. Our son lives at college do I didn't have babies to worry about.

My saving grace as a working mom is my Crockpot! I make Soups all the time, and roasted chicken, pork tenderloin, you name it! Meal planning ahead for the week is now my habit so we always have a healthy meal.

I LOVE my crockpot! I used to use it almost every night when i worked outside of the home (8 years ago) and ever since being a stay at home mom I still use it 3-4 times a week. I've got a few links of bagged crock pot freezer meals, maybe I'll put a few of those together before my surgery as well!

Very true, the house work will still be there when you're read! My surgery is in less than 10 days. I'm getting just a little jittery. It's all worth it though!

Mine is 1/19 and I'm jittery as well! It's all going to be a-ok though! So worth it, you're right :)

I plan to bust my hump to get this place clean and organized before I go into the hospital. It will keep my mind off the jitters, hopefully. Kids go back to school Monday, same day I start my pre op diet, so that's when I am going to get started. Push my laziness away and kick butt from the time I wake up (5:30!) til supper time. Then, shower while the fam is eating and hit the hay when my 3 year old goes to bed :)