Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain above pouch when eat/drink?

I was banded over eight months ago. Doing well. Lost nearly 30 lbs. One fill back in maybe September.

Ok, so I regurgitate some, but not too big a deal. But starting I guess on Thursday or Friday (today is Monday) I started getting a shooting pain in the area above the band - around the upper pouch/lower espophogas - whenever I eat or drink. Even Water will make it hurt. Sometimes saliva. It does not feel like heartburn. We're talking shooting pain like a cut, though I've noticed no signs of bleeding. Other than the pain, no change in my ability to pass things through the band. I've felt pain around the band itself before and this ain't it.

Is it an infection? My gums were swollen at the onset of the pain and are now recovering. A few months ago I got a viral strep-like infection in my throat and mouth in which my gums were swollen at the onset. Could this be a relapse with infection in different location? But last time I also had fever and chills at the onset and no fever this time at all.

I don't know. Thoughts? Similar experiences?

I'm trying to take it easy on the band and give it a week, but even water hurts.

it does sound like it could be an infection--can you call/see your dr? it would be worth having him (or her) at least look at back of your throat with a light to see what he/she can see...even a primary care dr. could do that. maybe some antibiotics are called for.

unknown, continuing pain is a sign that you need to see a dr! the inability to even swallow Water without discomfort---another sign.

let us know what the dr. says!

p.s. your weight loss is great!

best wishes,

girlinnyc

The pain seems to be subsiding today, so I'm starting to feel more confident that it is/was an infection of some sort. But the band is very tight today. I've had one large cup of coffee over a period of four hours and regurgitated four or five tablespoons altogether. But I've hardly eaten for a few days and sometimes the band gets tighter when I don't eat, so not ready to panic just yet. If it persists I think I'll need an unfill.

For my one and only fill I travelled to College Station, which is an hour and a half from here. Very inconvenient. I tried to get Dr. Spivak in Houston to do it, but he only does fills for his own surgery patients and I was banded in Mexico. Can anyone recommend a Houston doc for fills/unfills who takes patients who weren't his/her surgery patients? I'll give it another couple of days to see if things work themselves out on their own, but I'm concerned that I may need an unfill and/or examination of some sort and I want to get started finding a doc.

No longer sure I'm getting better. Finished that cup of coffee at about 12:45. At 2:45 picked up a milkshake (since I'm having trouble getting anything down I thought I should intentionally get a highly caloric liquid). For the first half and hour every sip of milkshake came right back up. And that intense pain came back. Now at 3:45 I'm starting to keep it down and the pain has subsided. I think I can finish the shake.

If my band slipped than I still wouldn't be able to get stuff down after an hour of trying, so what's up? I think I need an unfill and exam.

Houston docs anyone? Someone who will take me when the didn't perform the surgery. Not too, too expensive. I'm self-pay.

I did manage to finish that shake without any more pb.

Even so, yes, think I need an unfill and exam. Trying to locate a doc.

I think you should stick to really thin liquids between now and whenever you are able to get to a doctor. I also think that you should drive the hour and a half to the doctor you've been to asap to get it taken care of, rather than waiting to find someone closer. If you have a slip, the sooner you are unfilled, probably the better chance the band will 'slip back' into place.... and you don't want to get dehydrated either...

The pain is different now and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the band has slipped. AnotherMe gave me a list of docs so I'll be showing up unexpected at the door of one of them first thing in the morning to try to convince him to unfill me immediately. Hopefully its something we can reverse without surgery. I really hated the surgery ya'all. If I need to be rebanded, I'm not sure I'll do it. Tough decision since my weight loss has been going well.

Because I'm in the paranoia boat with you..I never was till banded, but after banding I went to ER the weekend after due to pains, and I am terrified I'm going to stretch my pouch etc.. So I can relate to you thinking you've slipped.

However.. from what I've heard people say, this doesn't sound like a slip. I would still see your doctor ASAP, because it could be a million different things (like infection.. or you just need some unfill). Good luck ;)

Don't worry yourself just yet!!

Thanks Laura. I've been worried sick thinking I'm going to have to have surgery again. Don't have the time or money, don't want to go through the pain and discomfort, don't want more nasty ass scars, etc.

Also, until you can get to a doctor you may want to stick with warm liquids. I haven't been able to tolerate cold stuff for well over a year now.

I will not make any predictions but will say see a doctor ASAP.

The doc I saw today unfilled it completely. I thought I had two cc's, but actually had eight. The doc said it was the wrong kind of band for me and had too much saline in it, but he said I didn't need surgery to replace it. I'm concerned that he didn't have an x-ray, so I'm still not convinced it didn't slip. I still have some pain when eating and drinking, but not as bad and nothing's coming back up. Probably just swelling. I didn't like the doc's bedside manner (more on that later) so I won't be going back to him. But at least I got the unfill and am starting to recover. I'll look for yet another doc in a month, which is how long this doc wanted to wait before doing anything else.

A month? I am glad you are unfilled and feeling better, but I think you should try to get in sooner and be looked at under fluoroscopy.

Are you on liquids?

I don't think solids would be good for you right now. Please check, after a fill or unfill the required band diet is liquids, you need to give yourself time to recover from all that's been going on. He may not be the bests but please check with him before eating anything else. If you've slipped then eating solids is only going to make it worst.